Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,552      
For what it's worth, there is a recently brand new Orange billboard with Lovie and "WE WILL WIN" on it less than a mile from where Palczewski goes to high school!

#3,553      
A 5th year transfer would make more sense, but now that Lawson is in the picture, we're not a terribly appealing destination.

I for one do not want a 5th year transfer in football or basketball, I would rather give the scholly to walk on then keep using them on 5th year guys. I do not think it will be brought up again in football after signing day I think Lovie and staff are doing a very nice job filling in the holes with talented young men

#3,554      
I would say Zion Bedoze is the most important recruit left on the board. I think he would start across from Carney next year. I don't know if Brian Edwards is an actual option but I think he and Roberson are more important. Depending on Dudek, I think Roberson could be a starter next year with Smalling and Malik

Palczewski would be my top guy as well, and I look for Carmoni Green to be starting at WR because him already being here is really going to help him

#3,555      
I for one do not want a 5th year transfer in football or basketball, I would rather give the scholly to walk on then keep using them on 5th year guys. I do not think it will be brought up again in football after signing day I think Lovie and staff are doing a very nice job filling in the holes with talented young men

We are likely to take a couple in football this year. I have no problem with it if they fill positions of need like Nickerson did.

#3,556      

That's a really weird stance to take. And we're almost certain to go after a few 5th year guys this year. Any 5th year DE that still has a pulse will get all the stops pulled out from us I'm sure.

#3,557      

Comparing taking 5th years in football and hoops is apples and oranges.

But taking one in football with the way our board looks right now is not a bad idea at all, if they are a DE especially, but TE/OT would also be welcome. We are going to have open scholarships, and adding guys for competition or depth is NEVER a bad thing. They don't take up schollies beyond this year, and it's better than taking HS guys who will never contribute.

#3,560      

This year they make all the sense in the world given how many open scholarships we have now and how small the 2018 class would potentially be.

#3,561      

FT35

Naperville
We currently have 55 scholarship players on the roster without taking into account the 19 commits we have in this recruiting class.

We can take 9 more players in this class and will still have 2 scholarships left. Those can be used for graduate transfers and/or walk-ons.

I'd like to see us take a class of 25 and then have 5 scholarships left over for graduate transfers and/or walk-ons on the roster. This would give us a little more wiggle room with the Class of 2018 which is going to be a very small class.

#3,563      
Could you imagine if we hadn't had Nickerson at MLB this year?

yeah I can we wouldn't of went to a bowl game, and still lost the games we did might of lost one more as well. MY point is I want to get back to the place where we don't need stop gap players to fill holes left because of lack of players and talent.

#3,564      
yeah I can we wouldn't of went to a bowl game, and still lost the games we did might of lost one more as well. MY point is I want to get back to the place where we don't need stop gap players to fill holes left because of lack of players and talent.

Some of the top programs in Country use 5th year seniors. Sometimes you just want to upgrade a specific position ala Russell Wilson at Wisconsin

#3,565      
I think Dorsey is a much better prospect than Holcombe from last year. There were questions as to whether Holcombe had the frame to get enough size to split out for an off the line t-end. To me he looked like he would land in no mans land not fast and quick enough for wr and not big and strong enough also lacking genuine desire to block for a t-end.
We should have an uptick at t-end with Palmer , Dorsey and hopefully Reams filling some of that of the line work for the position.:eek:

I recall people saying Palmer was the worst recruit that the Beckham/cubit regime recruited. Crazy the difference a year could make

#3,566      
I know it is 2018 class but do we have a legitimate shot with Howard Griffith's son?

Unless next year is a good winning season I think it's under 5%. He has a huge lists and don't see him having playing at dads school as a high priority or even one at all. Not sure even the staff can pull this one out without winning first.

#3,568      

Deleted member 533939

D
We currently have 55 scholarship players on the roster without taking into account the 19 commits we have in this recruiting class.

We can take 9 more players in this class and will still have 2 scholarships left. Those can be used for graduate transfers and/or walk-ons.

I'd like to see us take a class of 25 and then have 5 scholarships left over for graduate transfers and/or walk-ons on the roster. This would give us a little more wiggle room with the Class of 2018 which is going to be a very small class.
Thanks for reading my mind.

#3,569      
I recall people saying Palmer was the worst recruit that the Beckham/cubit regime recruited. Crazy the difference a year could make

I think that was Jones whose only other offer was from a 3rd level directional school in Missouri. But yes, Palmer was third on the tight end priorities of the three 2016 tight ends

#3,570      
Jake Stover‏@stoverr66 3h3 hours ago So happy and blessed to have received a PWO from the University of Illinois! Go Illini!

hudl.com/video/3/4781853/582140c1688ec22b50298f9d

Young man looks pretty good to me, If Lovie and Staff can get us some guys like this as PWO it will only help things

#3,572      

IlliniInOK

no longer in OK! Centralia, IL
Dorsey committed, Palczewski deciding this week, nothing else of note

Status
Not open for further replies.