Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FT35

Naperville
It's nice that we locked him up before he started getting bigger offers. This weekend was his first showcase. He's a hidden gem in our backyard that we had to get. I hope Illinois offers Marques Cox next.

C8fbCfGXkAAZrF6.jpg

FT35

Naperville
247 gave him a score of 80 which dropped his composite average. He was previously only evaluated by rivals and scout.

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
I have seen him play 5-6 times and have been nothing but impressed. I am sure his rating will only increase this coming season.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Much needed commitment. Still hoping they can snag Eleby (they've mentioned the desire to get two QB commits).

This is a good pickup.

He'll likely RS, but once he gets on the field, watch out. Moreover, it's a good sign to lock up downstate talent.

I hate to ask to put a label on him so early in his career, but is Taylor more of a pass-first or run-first QB? I know he is listed as a dual threat, so can obviously do both, but is he currently expected to be significantly better at one aspect over the other?

FT35

Naperville
He passed the ball less in 2016 than he did in 2015. He actually threw for 2500+ yards as a Sophomore because he had better receivers.

The #1 receiver for Peoria High moved to Texas before the season started and there were a couple of receivers who battled injuries throughout the year. Couple that with the fact that Hess, James and Taylor were able to pick up so many yards on the ground there wasn't a big need for him to sling the ball all over the field.

He's got everything that McGee wants. Big, strong, fast and has great arm strength. Clean up his passing mechanics a bit and you got a solid B1G QB.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4907669/57c23327da50b060c065f71f

I know there is a huge difference between bball and football recruiting since there are so many more players for the services to evaluate but can someone maybe layout the differences between Taylor, who everyone seems to be pretty excited about, and Cam Thomas, who at least at the time, seemed to really underwhelm everyone here?
In both cases they appear, to my very very untrained eye, to be a run first QB with 0 high major offers with some other MAC level and B1G bottom-feeders sniffing around.
I saw somewhere had him ranked in the 900s in the country which applying the bball conversion would make him somewhere around 130-150ish in those rankings. Certainly no one to turn your nose up at, just trying to see where my excitement level should be.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Welcome Mr. Taylor! Very exciting commitment. I was so desperate for news here, I found myself visiting the basketball board lately.

FT35

Naperville
I know there is a huge difference between bball and football recruiting since there are so many more players for the services to evaluate but can someone maybe layout the differences between Taylor, who everyone seems to be pretty excited about, and Cam Thomas, who at least at the time, seemed to really underwhelm everyone here?
In both cases they appear, to my very very untrained eye, to be a run first QB with 0 high major offers with some other MAC level and B1G bottom-feeders sniffing around.
I saw somewhere had him ranked in the 900s in the country which applying the bball conversion would make him somewhere around 130-150ish in those rankings. Certainly no one to turn your nose up at, just trying to see where my excitement level should be.

Football recruiting is also about going to showcases, where you play, attending camps etc. There's just so many players for these services to evaluate that it's hard for them to get a grip on how to rank some of these kids.

Basketball recruiting is absurdly easy. Even as someone who doesn't follow basketball closely at all, I can see who is a D1 player and who isn't when I go to High School games. It's pretty easy to see who has the size and athleticism to play at the next level and who doesn't. That's not really the case with football.

Kendrick Green was ranked in the 40s in the state of Illinois at this time last year and only had group of five offers.

Honestly though, with a kid like Coran, I really don't care about the offers or his ranking. Do we really want him to move up the rankings and grab high major offers?

Just look at his tools and how he fits in with the type of offense that McGee wants to run. That's really what's most important here.

illinidarrin

from parts unknown
Hopefully things work out and he is here. If we can the ST. Louis kid that would a good QB haul.

Greg Newsome to NW. We wanted news, now we've received both good and bad news today.

Try this...I looked at video on our newest commit....Mr. Coran Taylor....then I looked at film on the #1 commit in the nation....Trevor Lawrence.

Tell us what you see. Withholding my own opinion for now.

Try this...I looked at video on our newest commit....Mr. Coran Taylor....then I looked at film on the #1 commit in the nation....Trevor Lawrence.

Tell us what you see. Withholding my own opinion for now.

Didn't watch the whole of either video but from the bits I did watch, I would say the difference is that Lawrence is a little bit more polished with his feet and maybe a tad faster overall. They both have huge arms and are both extremely athletic. I'm not sure what the rating difference is between them but I don't think overall as players that are as far apart of the ratings would suggest. Granted I haven't watched both of them play numerous games and I didn't watch every highlight but that is my take.

Really? I just saw a post from Robert/Roughy that he has a lot of work to do yet.

Could that be that he didn't take the correct classes? There is a school I know that one of their math classes is not accepted by the NCAA so the students that took that class either have to take another math as a Senior or have to go through the JUCO route because of one missing math credit.

I have seen him play 5-6 times and have been nothing but impressed. I am sure his rating will only increase this coming season.

I agree. Before watching him for the first time i was told about how good of a running QB he was, but I was shocked at his arm strength and accuracy.

can someone maybe layout the differences between Taylor, who everyone seems to be pretty excited about, and Cam Thomas, who at least at the time, seemed to really underwhelm everyone here?

I believe most people were/are just looking at the stats:

In Taylor’s 2016 season, he had 1,542 passing yards, 1,671 rushing yards, 39 total touchdowns, and just 3 interceptions en route to a Class 5A championship for Peoria.

In Thomas' 2015 season, he passed for 575 yards and rushed for 194 for a 1-8 Marian Catholic team.

The big thing is that these are guys who fit Garrick McGee's offense, or at least he thinks they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.