Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,301      
That's possible. However, like Littlejohn said, they accepted his commitment, allowed him to post his commitment all over social media and he had an official visit set up.

If they didn't want him to commit then they should have communicated this to him or put a stop to this weeks ago.

true

#1,302      
Was Tulane the only other offer to Littlejohn? I always like to see what other schools have offered,etc.

#1,303      
Could it also be that with Rivers' commitment, the coaches told Littlejohn that they wanted him to change positions and he said he didn't want to do that so they pulled the offer? Regardless, I feel bad for the kid and hope he finds a great place to pursue his dreams.

#1,304      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Could it also be that with Rivers' commitment, the coaches told Littlejohn that they wanted him to change positions and he said he didn't want to do that so they pulled the offer? Regardless, I feel bad for the kid and hope he finds a great place to pursue his dreams.

I could see it being that.

Maybe they said he no longer had an offer as a quarterback but could still have one as an athlete and Littlejohn really wants to play QB.

#1,305      
Man I hate trying to post on this site just lost another post and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it over, like now. It was Coleman and Birdsong .

#1,306      

FT35

Naperville
Man I hate trying to post on this site just lost another post and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it over, like now. It was Coleman and Birdsong .

Are we recruiting Coleman as a Safety, an OLB or a Nickel (i.e. Knight/Watkins)? I would think we have a bigger need at OLB?

#1,309      
This happens all of the time. You almost never hear a recruit make it public in this way though. Hopefully, there aren't any repercussions for Lovie & the program as a result

Vague memory of a QB commit to wisconsin for the 2017 class that told the story to the national (perhaps only midwestern/local chicago news) of them rescinding an offer. It made a splash but I doubt many remember or care.

#1,310      
Vague memory of a QB commit to wisconsin for the 2017 class that told the story to the national (perhaps only midwestern/local chicago news) of them rescinding an offer. It made a splash but I doubt many remember or care.

I believe what happened with that situation Wisconsin pulled his offer when he posted on Twitter that he received an offer from another school. I think a Georgia offer? Wisconsin did not like that.

So not quite the same situation.

While I find both sad and unfortunate, I don't think our situation will result in nearly the amount of press, especially since fans of college sports are much more interested with the basketball investigation than our recruiting.

#1,312      
Are we recruiting Coleman as a Safety, an OLB or a Nickel (i.e. Knight/Watkins)? I would think we have a bigger need at OLB?

Meant to answer this a couple days ago but life got in the way.
There recruiting him for olb and Birdsong for nickel basically. If you have not seen their tapes you have to watch. They both have SEC or OSU MICH type speed and hit and just show good acumen for the game. Getting these guys would topping the highest rating I gave Littlejohn. Surprised that they are going after both Ayedole ( forgive the spelling if wrong) and Coleman. But one is elite mlb and the other elite olb. So I think the closing thinking is a pro mindset of take the best players available.

#1,313      

FT35

Naperville
Meant to answer this a couple days ago but life got in the way.
There recruiting him for olb and Birdsong for nickel basically. If you have not seen their tapes you have to watch. They both have SEC or OSU MICH type speed and hit and just show good acumen for the game. Getting these guys would topping the highest rating I gave Littlejohn. Surprised that they are going after both Ayedole ( forgive the spelling if wrong) and Coleman. But one is elite mlb and the other elite olb. So I think the closing thinking is a pro mindset of take the best players available.

Thanks Cali. Great analysis as always.

Haven't seen Birdsong but watched some tape of Coleman from this year and last year. Most of the highlights from last year showed him as a DB, while this year he appears to be somewhat of a lb/db hybrid for West Mesquite. At 6'2 he just needs to put on 10-15 lbs and he would be a nice SLB in this system.

#1,315      
Something is bothering me I need I need to mention.
The linebackers except for Watson, Harding and Hansen are all list as about 220 pounds. Now I love speed on the linebackers first but if the are being run over or failing to keep the forward momentum of a tackle to more than a yard they need additional weight through s+c. With guys that have that kind of speed they want they can have both. Currently there we have some lb's with very good speed. I would try a happy meddle with them of 230 at lest. In a run heavy conference of backs with very good power I would like 235 to 245, but that maybe to much weight to carry the speed.

#1,316      
With regards to Littlejohn; saw these stats in an article linked, just aren't screaming B1G QB to me...may just be he isn't having the year the staff expected, having the other qbs coming in just makes the decision easier.

Meanwhile, Littlejohn will continue the season as the quarterback for Roswell High School in Georgia. The Hornets are 1-4 on the season, and Littlejohn has passed for 477 yards with three touchdowns and five interceptions while rushing for 128 yards and two scores.

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/20170930/cordel-littlejohn-no-longer-committed-to-illinois

#1,317      

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
Something is bothering me I need I need to mention.
The linebackers except for Watson, Harding and Hansen are all list as about 220 pounds. Now I love speed on the linebackers first but if the are being run over or failing to keep the forward momentum of a tackle to more than a yard they need additional weight through s+c. With guys that have that kind of speed they want they can have both. Currently there we have some lb's with very good speed. I would try a happy meddle with them of 230 at lest. In a run heavy conference of backs with very good power I would like 235 to 245, but that maybe to much weight to carry the speed.

Derrick Brooks was a pretty good 215 lb middle linebacker. I would take a fist full of those all day and twice on Sunday.

#1,318      
Derrick Brooks was a pretty good 215 lb middle linebacker. I would take a fist full of those all day and twice on Sunday.

Okay how many Brooks type played near that level, then recall the past and present Bears lb's, nobodies name come to pass that played under 230.

#1,319      
Okay how many Brooks type played near that level, then recall the past and present Bears lb's, nobodies name come to pass that played under 230.

I believe Urlacher was 6'4 265 iirc, with safety speed. Those would be nice to have.

#1,320      
I believe Urlacher was 6'4 265 iirc, with safety speed. Those would be nice to have.

First time I watch Urlacher was when I was scouting a college all star game and had never heard of him. That speed was stunning. A memory of him chasing a wide receiver with notable speed, was him sliding outside from his lb slot . Picking up the guy about 8 yards down the field from the line of scrimmage. Was maybe 1 or 2 yard behind trailing the guy for about 70 yards. How scary could be to the wr to see this guy not losing any ground at all in the pursuit. Which is what happened exactly. :cool:

#1,321      

Deleted member 10676

D
Houston Griffith‏Verified account @___HG3 14m14 minutes ago

C O M M I T T E D
Florida State Is Home
Go Noles

#1,322      
I realize Houston Griffith and Verdis Brown both transferred to IMG, but Florida State kinda just marched right into Illinois and took 2 of the top 3 players.

#1,323      
This is going to sound like a little grapes. But after living in California since 1976 I don't care about where the get the guys from if the can play. Yes TX, FL, GA, AL, OH, CA, are better overall. Feels like I am forgetting one.
That said neither Brown or Griffith knocked me out that much when I saw the tapes a good 6 months ago. Don't get me wrong there good , but for me not where the are listed. One thing is Brown is a much better o-lineman at this point and for Griffith I did not so the the speed required in my book to be so high.
We might not be able to get there equals but that would not as hard as it seems. On Brown the were recruiting for dt, and I love Avery a helluva of a lot more.

#1,324      
TJ Banks set to announce his decision next Wednesday. We're not considered the favorite, but he has stated that he wants to make an impact right away. He said that he wants to play for a team that’s going to work their way there and be a key player.

Status
Not open for further replies.