Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,376      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Awesome experience at the state farm center tonight!! And it was awesome to sit next to Coach Smith the whole game. #Illini @LovieSmith @CoachButkus
https://twitter.com/jason_bargy13/status/955664301309734912

Jihad Ward, Lovie, and Whitman giving Jason Bargy their best pitch
https://twitter.com/BobZuppke/status/955639381028626432

For context: If Illinois is able to snag Bargy (ranked 81st on 247), he would be the highest ranked recruit to commit since Terry Hawthorne almost ten years ago.

#2,377      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Illinois made an offer to Juco CB Trevon Gauno. Listed offers on 247 include Wake Forest, Oregon State, and a bunch of MAC-level schools.

#2,380      

Dan

Admin
Sources: #Illini OL coach Luke Butkus hosted Farmington's Jarod DePriest (@DepriestJarod) and his family at last night's basketball game against Michigan State. Butkus is visiting in Farmington today and will be in Lewistown for DePriest's basketball game tonight. #pjspreps
https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/955896227731857408

#2,381      

icengineer

Southern Illinois
So we got one of our football coaches recruiting centers for us now!?!?! Sweet! :D

#2,383      

Kramer116

Chicago
3 star with a big arm, but offered by Alabama a few days ago. Clear Rod Smith recruit.

Pretty sure we had been recruiting Purdy at least before, or knew of him but no offer obviously until now.

Bama offer is tough to beat, but for actual legit chance to have opportunity to play earlier you never know.

#2,384      
Seems like Lovie is no longer playing catch-up with regional talent. Seems to have gotten early on many. Hopeful can continue to improve team player rankings.

#2,385      

Deleted member 654622

D
3 star with a big arm, but offered by Alabama a few days ago. Clear Rod Smith recruit.

Pretty sure we had been recruiting Purdy at least before, or knew of him but no offer obviously until now.

Bama offer is tough to beat, but for actual legit chance to have opportunity to play earlier you never know.

Does the fact he pinned the tweet about his "Alabama full ride offer" to the top of his page take away any suspense?

#2,386      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Looks like Purdy had a great senior season. Was named Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year plus having a lot of big name programs in for visits.

#2,387      
I appreciate the fact that you always offer because it doesn't hurt. But there's no way he considers us, right?

#2,388      

BZuppke

Plainfield
I appreciate the fact that you always offer because it doesn't hurt. But there's no way he considers us, right?

No way. Of course. I’m joking as I don’t agree with you. I think most kids seriously consider the schools they say they are considering. That more often than not they choose Alabama over Illinois doesn’t equate that there is ‘no way’ we’re being considered. We will win a battle or two here for reasons we may not know. Let’s hope for the best here.

#2,389      
No way. Of course. I’m joking as I don’t agree with you. I think most kids seriously consider the schools they say they are considering. That more often than not they choose Alabama over Illinois doesn’t equate that there is ‘no way’ we’re being considered. We will win a battle or two here for reasons we may not know. Let’s hope for the best here.

That's fair. Just not used to seeing an offer list like that and beating out the field. I suppose the fact that he just recently started receiving the bigger offers puts out a more level playing field as there probably isn't a strong connection to any one school/coach yet. I'll hope a little.

#2,390      

Deleted member 654622

D
That's fair. Just not used to seeing an offer list like that and beating out the field. I suppose the fact that he just recently started receiving the bigger offers puts out a more level playing field as there probably isn't a strong connection to any one school/coach yet. I'll hope a little.

Well this is what we are trying to do with the Trinity "Big 3"...Huge obstacles. Fingers be crossed

#2,391      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
If I was a high school football player, I’d probably pin an offer from Alabama, too, even if I wasn’t going there. It’s a status symbol.

Exactly. He's visited places like Iowa State, etc. So I don't think we'd be out of the picture. And if he wants to study engineering... What better place than UofI?

#2,392      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

Purdy from AZ, correct? I'm sure Rod Smith has a pretty good idea and hopefully good relationship with players and coaches at Purdy's HS.

#2,393      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Boils down to how serious his offer is from Bama and how much he values immediate playing time.

#2,395      

Deleted member 654622

D
I believe I hear/read somewhere that DJ Irons was visiting this weekend to meet with R. Smith?

#2,397      
The name 'Brock Purdy' should grade out at about 5.8 on the Rivals evaluation scale.

#2,400      

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Boils down to how serious his offer is from Bama and how much he values immediate playing time.

Or, any playing time!

With the freshman we all saw in the championship game around for another 3 years, that would leave two years of eligibility for an incoming Freshman, assuming a redshirt. What are the chances he is not recruited over (5 star QB) in the next 3 years?

Seems to me that a 3 star QB would be better served picking a different destination. Why not Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.