Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,752      

tenor.gif
I find it remarkable how football commits mean nothing. It's crazy.

#2,754      

illiniCA

DC Area
The only way to stop this type of stuff is to dump "National Signing Day" and the second a recruit commits.....he signs. Period. If he commits in July...he signs, all done.

It keeps the kids in check and MOST importantly, it keeps the coaches in check.

I agree but I don't like the idea of a coach doing an in-home and pressuring a guy to sign. 18 year old me would struggle with that.

#2,757      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
No sarcasm. Illinois didn't take to kindly to him decommiting. they also feel like they can get a better prospect.
Speaking of de-commits, what's the latest on Childress?
Ultimately, if Illinois gets only Isaiah and Shammond from Trinity this year, I'd still call that a big win. Ira Henry would be a great get - always good to add talent on the OL and beat out schools like Missouri, Alabama, and FSU - but Williams and Cooper were always the two top targets.

#2,758      
Ultimately, if Illinois gets only Isaiah and Shammond from Trinity this year, I'd still call that a big win. Ira Henry would be a great get - always good to add talent on the OL and beat out schools like Missouri, Alabama, and FSU - but Williams and Cooper were always the two top targets.
Left a sour taste in the staffs mouth too especially doing it in the middle of the game and not speaking to them first about it. He wont be an illini either nor will Henry, illinois has real cooled on him he is injury prone and a little heavy.

#2,759      
Cooper looks like a good tackler and shows speed on the blitz. We need an upgrade at LB and he would be a good start. Wouldn't mind a couple more upgrades from the transfer/JUCO market.

#2,760      

In the top games this season, the kid only have 4 total catches and several drops. For a 5'7/5'8 kid Illinois would be crazy to waste one of the limited scholly on this kid. I am sure he was forced to De-commit. Michael Love from Naz is a much better option

#2,761      
In the top games this season, the kid only have 4 total catches and several drops. For a 5'7/5'8 kid Illinois would be crazy to waste one of the limited scholly on this kid. I am sure he was forced to De-commit. Michael Love from Naz is a much better option
He was not forced to de-commit by any means, he had some other people from trinity in his ear that got to him and he made an irrational decision that a lot of 17 year olds make.

#2,762      

FT35

Naperville
Clark would be a big loss as an interior OL. Could have been on the two deep next year as the back up OC or RG. Not sure who we get to replace him at this point. This is a small class but the need for High School OL is always there.

I still have no idea who the back up Center will be next year. Kramer played through an injury through part of the season.

May have to look at a JUCO player which is something I would be against since we will lose a lot of players after 2020 and we need HS OL in the program ASAP if we want them to be able to compete for playing time in 2020. We may go for another reach like Kirts after the December signing period.

#2,763      
If this was the case, UI pulling the scholarship afterwards seems childish, especially given the fact that they must know what transpired. I get not wanting to wait for him and thinking (or knowing) better options will come, but if this was truly some people getting in his ear and causing him to decommit, you'd think the university would have more sympathy.
The staff didn't like that he didn't communicate with them before he decided to de-commit and that he did it right after the start of a game.

#2,765      
No sarcasm. Illinois didn't take to kindly to him decommiting. they also feel like they can get a better prospect.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Childress stated within the last week that he (And UI) has moved on and is currently only speaking with Toledo.

#2,767      

Deleted member 654622

D
Well...he didn't say that he has committed so there's still a chance! :)

Maybe the FSU offer is one of those non-commitable ones we hear about.
I find it entertaining that Jack Burrord, who has been trying to get him to go to Mizzery with him was the first to respond. It say something along the lines of "then commit"

#2,772      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I find it remarkable how football commits mean nothing. It's crazy.

This isn't new. College football coaches are paid a lot of money to handle these situations. The situation is sketchy on both sides: Schools have started to bail on verbal commitments very late in the process (see example). Schools also immediately fire assistant coaches after signing day. Don't complain about the actions of prospective athletes without feeling slimy about decisions made by the program that are just as/more harmful.

#2,774      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Because that is the ONLY offer he has. He never had any other offer but Illinois which is why he committed and that is why I am saying it was never his choice.

Yeah, sign me up for Tariq Cohen-lite, Love, instead of Childress. Hope we have room. Highly doubt he'd accept a PWO offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.