Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,926      
tell you guys right now. IW, Beason and Cooper (if he comes) are on the field first game. they've been told they will play and they will. Even if they're not the best choice promises have been made or they probably would have gone elsewhere.

Doesn’t seem like lovie to promise anything. He seems like more of a “best man for the job” kind of guy

That being said, those three seem like they would win a starting role either way

#2,927      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
tell you guys right now. IW, Beason and Cooper (*when* he comes) are on the field first game. they've been told they will play and they will. Even if they're not the best choice promises have been made or they probably would have gone elsewhere.
FTFY

#2,928      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I can't make a bold prediction? How about if he doesn't come here I get a ban because I've always wanted to say "I'm back from my ban" and if he does we celebrate getting a good recruit.
I have zero issues with your prediction or lock. It won't upset me one way or the other where the recruit ends up. I want everyone the coaching staff recruits to end up in Orange and Blue, but at the end of the day, I go home to 3 healthy kids, the decision of an 18-year-old and your prediction won't upset me. My post to you was a joke in reference to the many posters on here who have been run off the board because they shared info that didn't end up coming through. I hope you are right. And the ban is overrated if you ask me.

#2,932      
Randolph had a great visit this weekend btw staff and players did a great job he feels very comfortable here and feels like a priority. Hopefully enough to edge out MSU.

#2,933      
I just don't believe Ford will transfer here. Unless he is super homesick, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

#2,934      
I just don't believe Ford will transfer here. Unless he is super homesick, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Random person on Twitter says Ford's father stated he's staying in Athens. I'd take about as little weight as you possibly can in it, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

If he was on campus last week, I'd imagine we have a better chance than many would think. Still, I don't think he gets a waiver, but perhaps MS would be willing to share some trade secrets on how to immediately transfer.

#2,935      
Random person on Twitter says Ford's father stated he's staying in Athens. I'd take about as little weight as you possibly can in it, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

If he was on campus last week, I'd imagine we have a better chance than many would think. Still, I don't think he gets a waiver, but perhaps MS would be willing to share some trade secrets on how to immediately transfer.
Main reason mark got the waiver was because JW and BU Ok'd it.

#2,936      
Main reason mark got the waiver was because JW and BU Ok'd it.
I still think that's a ridiculous reason (not saying you're wrong about why, but that it's a crazy reason to allow immediate playing time)... Where in the rules does it say as long as the former coach and AD approve of immediate playing time, the NCAA will grant it. At this point it doesn't matter, but transfer rules in general need to change.

#2,937      
I still think that's a ridiculous reason (not saying you're wrong about why, but that it's a crazy reason to allow immediate playing time)... Where in the rules does it say as long as the former coach and AD approve of immediate playing time, the NCAA will grant it. At this point it doesn't matter, but transfer rules in general need to change.
I agree. The NCAA is a joke.

#2,938      

Personally, I think the players should be able to transfer more easily. Probably shouldn't be a free-for-all, but I do think there needs to be more leeway and when players can transfer without a sit-out year.

#2,939      
Personally, I think the players should be able to transfer more easily. Probably shouldn't be a free-for-all, but I do think there needs to be more leeway and when players can transfer without a sit-out year.
I don't have an answer, because regardless of what some experts believe, there will be chaos if total transfer freedom is allowed, but there needs to be more clarity on the transfer system. I think the hardship rule is good, and I understand defining what exactly that means is tough, but I think things such as playing time limits is a good place to start. If a guy logs less than X minutes in games, or plays in less than Y games, then allow immediate total freedom to transfer. Any change in HC should also warrant such changes.

There's no such thing a perfect system, but there's no doubt ways to improve the current "rules" (in the loosest meaning possible).

#2,941      

FT35

Naperville

It's probably a combination of lack of playing time and being homesick. He would get playing time here.

#2,942      

Staying at Georgia doesn't make sense either. He is 3rd string at best this year, with talk of the freshmen beating him out next year. Also Georgia looking at transfers as well. Not sure what other P5 conferences have to offer, but at Illinois he will see the field. Possibly play more of a receiving TE vs blocking TE. I imagine that OC Smith can develop RPOs for this type of TE.

#2,943      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
There just might have been a current SEC player originally from Illinois on campus this weekend...

Wait, is this something that can (formally) happen without him submitting transfer paperwork to Georgia?

#2,944      
I don't have an answer, because regardless of what some experts believe, there will be chaos if total transfer freedom is allowed, but there needs to be more clarity on the transfer system. I think the hardship rule is good, and I understand defining what exactly that means is tough, but I think things such as playing time limits is a good place to start. If a guy logs less than X minutes in games, or plays in less than Y games, then allow immediate total freedom to transfer. Any change in HC should also warrant such changes.

There's no such thing a perfect system, but there's no doubt ways to improve the current "rules" (in the loosest meaning possible).
I think any transfer should have to sit a year, no matter the reason. They have signed a contract basically and if they want to break that commitment, then they should have to sit. People in the working world sign employment contracts and there are negative consequences for breaking them. Just my two cents. Thinks like letting Mark Smith play shouldn't happen and it has nothing to do with him. He decided he didn't want to be at Illinois, which is fine, but like most every other transfer out there who decided they needed to be at a different school, he should have to sit.

#2,945      
Wait, is this something that can (formally) happen without him submitting transfer paperwork to Georgia?
Sure. He was home and if he decided to take a trip here there is nothing against that. We didn't host him for a visit or anything.

#2,947      

Deleted member 746094

D
I don’t put any weight in transfer rumors until it is officially announced.

The immediate eligibility waiver becomes a huge factor with two possible transfers. If you could say with any certainty Thomas and Ford would be eligible next year then I think Lovie and Rod have a pretty compelling story to tell Tate to get him to come here for his final season.

QB- Tate
RB- Corbin, Epstein, Brown
WR- Thomas, I Washington (slot/wildcat), Smalling, Green and Carter(off injury)
TE- Ford
OL will be solid and experienced.

I know this is ridiculous hypothetical, but this would be dangerous personel in Rod’s scheme.

Okay, back to reality.

#2,948      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

There are lots of good ideas out there. Some of them are more labor intensive for those approving the waiver (medical, distance look-ups, or playing time/games played).

I bet the NCAA would want to make it easier and a blanket system for everyone without having to go case by case. (Which is probably a lot of man hours)

My suggestion would be to simply have free transfers but lose a year of eligibility each time you transfer. Since each athlete gets 5 years to play 4, after their first season they would still have 4 years to play 3. If they decide to transfer, they get a free pass and still have 3 years to play 3.

However, after they play the next season, they will only have 2 years to play 2 left. If they try to transfer again, they lose another year and at their 3rd school they would only have 1 year left.

It would deter multiple transfers without punishing the first transfer since often there are good reasons for that first transfer.

It could also be applied to the grad transfer process and possibly cut down on them. (Or have no effect)

#2,949      

The immediate eligibility waiver becomes a huge factor with two possible transfers. If you could say with any certainty Thomas and Ford would be eligible next year then I think Lovie and Rod have a pretty compelling story to tell Tate to get him to come here for his final season.

QB- Tate
TE- Ford

I know this is ridiculous hypothetical, but this would be dangerous personnel in Rod’s scheme.

Okay, back to reality.
Who is I. Washington? :) and I don't know if Carter will be back by next season and there is talk of another WR transfer coming in as well fwiw.

#2,950      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

QB- Tate
TE- Ford

I know this is ridiculous hypothetical, but this would be dangerous personel in Rod’s scheme.

Okay, back to reality.
Who is "I Washington"? Assuming you meant I Williams or Casey Washington but not sure the latter is going to be ready right away. I would actually see Beason or Cumby as more likely to fill in in a WR role if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.