Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
This class is already great now, but if I had to add two guys I really want the most of who's on the board, it's Shammond Cooper and Jason Bargy. I just feel like those guys are no brainier future pros, and both should be attainable. I love love love the way this program is trending. Strap in everyone. It's going to be a fun ride!

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
This class is already great now, but if I had to add two guys I really want the most of who's on the board, it's Shammond Cooper and Jason Bargy. I just feel like those guys are no brainier future pros, and both should be attainable. I love love love the way this program is trending. Strap in everyone. It's going to be a fun ride!

Erick Young, the Texas CB, is definitely a future pro too. I know his interest seems secondhand because of Beason, but I'd love to have two shutdown corners in him and Beason and force the opposing offenses to run straight into Bargy and Cooper.

Erick Young, the Texas CB, is definitely a future pro too. I know his interest seems secondhand because of Beason, but I'd love to have two shutdown corners in him and Beason and force the opposing offenses to run straight into Bargy and Cooper.

Just saw this on twitter, free OU Rivals video interview with him:

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/young-and-bookie-

Interviewer asked if other coaches have been trying to crack into top 10 since he announced, he mentions Illinois first (similar to his other video interview). I take that as coaches, and Beason, are at least doing enough to have his ear.

Going to announce a top 6 after his official visit to A&M April 14th weekend. But said he is planning officials to OU, A&M, and Bama. Contemplating LSU. Wants to win a championship.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Just saw this on twitter, free OU Rivals video interview with him:

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/young-and-bookie-

Interviewer asked if other coaches have been trying to crack into top 10 since he announced, he mentions Illinois first (similar to his other video interview). I take that as coaches, and Beason, are at least doing enough to have his ear.

Going to announce a top 6 after his official visit to A&M April 14th weekend. But said he is planning officials to OU, A&M, and Bama. Contemplating LSU. Wants to win a championship.

A B1G West championship? Or what?

A B1G West championship? Or what?

While he didn't specifically say what kind of championship ring he wants, given the caliber of other schools that he's looking at, probably a national championship can be assumed here.

Last edited:
I would definitely consider Young to be a long shot. Cooper, Bargy, Billingsley, and Henry all seem doable. Coupled with Beason and Williams we have a nice class on our hands to watch.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Werner just gave CBs for Cooper and Henry.

giphy.gif

Glad we got IW. Love his IQ for the game.

Since his commitment has been official, a lot of talk and rumors have been swirling. It will take some time to suss what has any ground to stand on. Very exciting if some hold true.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Playing the hypothetical game. Assuming Illinois will have ~20 scholarships to give out in 2019, I've built a respectable recruiting class that can show some projections. I have Illinois getting a couple more top-notch recruits (Sorrells, Bargy, Cooper), but I would say that this project isn't too aggressive as Illinois is already connected to a number of these guys (you could even get more aggressive and suggest Illinois grabs Billingsley, Erick Young, and a few others).

Screen_Shot_2018_03_23_at_5_05_35_PM.png

Now, when comparing this class to last year's recruiting rankings, this would have been the 4th ranked class in B1G (Behind OSU and PSU, on par with Michigan), and the 22nd ranked class in the country (between Michigan and Nebraska).

Last edited:

Illini_1979

Oregon
What? No posts in almost 4 hours on this, such a momentous day?!? :confused:

Welcome Mr. Williams! :clappy:

Maybe I am reading too much into the twitter tea leaves, but considering that none of the Illini QBs/QB commits commented let alone liked or retweeted Isaiah’s announcement. Maybe I am nitpicking but I feel like they may be rubbed the wrong way with a 5 ⭐️ on the way.

Pretty crazy that his commitment video already has 144K views. I've contributed for at least 10 of them.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Playing the hypothetical game. Assuming Illinois will have ~20 scholarships to give out in 2019, I've built a respectable recruiting class that can show some projections. I have Illinois getting a couple more top-notch recruits (Sorrells, Bargy, Cooper), but I would say that this project isn't too aggressive as Illinois is already connected to a number of these guys (you could even get more aggressive and suggest Illinois grabs Billingsley, Erick Young, and a few others).

< projected class elided for brevity>

Now, when comparing this class to last year's recruiting rankings, this would have been the 4th ranked class in B1G (Behind OSU and PSU, on par with Michigan), and the 22nd ranked class in the country (between Michigan and Nebraska).

That is yoeman's work! Good baseline for what this class could be. Hopefully, the floor.

Deleted member 654622

D
Maybe I am reading too much into the twitter tea leaves, but considering that none of the Illini QBs/QB commits commented let alone liked or retweeted Isaiah’s announcement. Maybe I am nitpicking but I feel like they may be rubbed the wrong way with a 5 ⭐️ on the way.

I decided not to bring this up, but I was thinking the same thing. So I got on Twitter and commented on one of MJs Tweets. I think they need to feel the love still

We need offensive linemen. Lots and lots of big strong offensive linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.