Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,551      

Deleted member 654622

D
Disappointing but not surprising. Fleck's shtick resonates with some of these kids and they grew up watching some pretty poor Illini teams. By the way, it appears that the 10th ranked player who committed to MN would be about the 100th ranked player in your state. I know some might disagree for perception purposes, but I would be just as happy pulling 3 top 100 Texas kids as I would 3 top 10 Illinois prospects.

Absolutely!

#1,552      
Disappointing but not surprising. Fleck's shtick resonates with some of these kids and they grew up watching some pretty poor Illini teams. By the way, it appears that the 10th ranked player who committed to MN would be about the 100th ranked player in your state. I know some might disagree for perception purposes, but I would be just as happy pulling 3 top 100 Texas kids as I would 3 top 10 Illinois prospects.

Texas Florida California

#1,554      

Deleted member 631370

D
Texas Florida California

Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan produce quite a few big time prospects, but the state that doesn't get enough love is Georgia. They're right there with the three states you mentioned in terms of talent.

#1,555      

We weren't actively recruiting him. Maybe Coach GB reminded the rest of the staff that feet & hips are much more important in a CB than if he's 6'2". He has speed, long arms & MB says he is a shutdown corner.

Side note; MB is bringing his cousin (2020 WR) with him to campus again this weekend:illinois:
About the 2020 class, I'm very surprised that we're not all in with Bishop Dunne. Power 5 level teammates: Scott, Yelverton, Hendrix without an offer, while many other schools have.

#1,558      
So if 247 is right, OVs for Joacheim Price, William Pritchard, Winston Wright, & Quinyon Mitchell either 6/13 or 6/15.

#1,559      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Those same kids would have watched some pretty poor Minnesota teams growing up as well. His shtick isn't working because Illinois is bad, his shtick is working because it reasonates with recruits.

I'm with you in the sense that top 100 recruits in Texas > top 10 recruits in Illinois, but that's in a vacuum. All things being equal, Illinois has certain advantages with local kids that they can either not replicate or sustain with kids in Texas. For example, let's say Jimbo Fisher offer Andrew Hays-Stoker a massive raise next year and he leaves for Texas A&M. How badly does that hurt Illinois' recruiting efforts in Texas and/or the DFW area? Illinois is fairly dependent on assistant coaches creating those connections with far-away high schools, more than they are dependent on those same connections much closer to campus.

#1,560      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Those same kids would have watched some pretty poor Minnesota teams growing up as well. His shtick isn't working because Illinois is bad, his shtick is working because it reasonates with recruits.

I'm with you in the sense that top 100 recruits in Texas > top 10 recruits in Illinois, but that's in a vacuum. All things being equal, Illinois has certain advantages with local kids that they can either not replicate or sustain with kids in Texas. For example, let's say Jimbo Fisher offer Andrew Hays-Stoker a massive raise next year and he leaves for Texas A&M. How badly does that hurt Illinois' recruiting efforts in Texas and/or the DFW area? Illinois is fairly dependent on assistant coaches creating those connections with far-away high schools, more than they are dependent on those same connections much closer to campus.
Yeah, I don't think we disagree too much. I would say that these in-state recruits probably did not pay too much attention to MN football in almost the same manner that Texas recruits probably did not follow IL football, so the history of futility probably doesn't mean as much to them.

#1,561      

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah, I don't think we disagree too much. I would say that these in-state recruits probably did not pay too much attention to MN football in almost the same manner that Texas recruits probably did not follow IL football, so the history of futility probably doesn't mean as much to them.

Good Point

#1,562      

Deleted member 654622

D
So if 247 is right, OVs for Joacheim Price, William Pritchard, Winston Wright, & Quinyon Mitchell either 6/13 or 6/15.

A lot going to be there this weekend. Including all of our current commits, except Moore I believe. The big un officials are Fabian McCray, Ira Henry and of course....Shammond Cooper!

Man I hope they get him to commit this weekend.

#1,563      

Deleted member 654622

D
Anyone listen to Werner's show yesterday? They did a skit about the top 10 Illinois targets I found informative. The Maurice Massey talk had me very interested.
Committed/Decomitted/Committed/Decomitted from Iowa State. They said he needs a stable environment to reach his full potential. And would be the best WR in our class despite his rankings.
https://247sports.com/player/maurice-massey-46039761

#1,565      
I’m working at a new school next year. One of the basketball kids who also plays football did a camp last weekend I believe. Said he was talked to by littyville.

Also didn’t know what school that was :doh:

#1,566      
I’m working at a new school next year. One of the basketball kids who also plays football did a camp last weekend I believe. Said he was talked to by littyville.

Also didn’t know what school that was :doh:

Guess we're not quite as cool as I thought:D

#1,567      
Headed over for Friday Night Lights tomorrow with my son. Anxious to see some of facilities and to see what level of talent is there. Heard a couple decent prospects will be on hand. My son is hoping to go up against the 3-Star DE out of Mo.. Sounds like line will be doing some light hitting because the are only position bringing pads. Little disappointed we just got final info less than 24 hours from event.

#1,568      
If there is something about the camp/process that you don’t like (like getting that info late), definitely give them feedback. Hopefully they take stuff like that into consideration to make the camp better.

Won’t be complaining because I hope he ends up playing there😅! This was just in response to other athlete and coaches complaints about how camp is run and how that might affect recruiting. I am just trying to give perspective as to what prompted this reputation. Like I said in an earlier post, we had been advised by several HS coaches and officials at various events to avoid the camp. I said absolutely not because if there is a chance to play for beloved, we will do whatever!
As a 2020, we have very little experience in these camps at this level (at least with football🤫)! I will have better a better perspective at end of summer after we have done more camps.

#1,569      

breadman

Herndon, VA
Won’t be complaining because I hope he ends up playing there😅! This was just in response to other athlete and coaches complaints about how camp is run and how that might affect recruiting. I am just trying to give perspective as to what prompted this reputation. Like I said in an earlier post, we had been advised by several HS coaches and officials at various events to avoid the camp. I said absolutely not because if there is a chance to play for beloved, we will do whatever!
As a 2020, we have very little experience in these camps at this level (at least with football🤫)! I will have better a better perspective at end of summer after we have done more camps.

SD,
Very much looking forward to your end of summer perspective on football camps. Nice summer long homework assignment!

#1,570      

FT35

Naperville

Any information is appreciated. I hope you both enjoy yourselves.

#1,574      
Hopefully Monnot decision is coming from Joacheim & Ira edging him out.

Also like seeing Joacheim & Pritchard retweeting each other's OV pics. Officials starting on Wed (I think) can't last through weekend, but hopefully these 2 are sticking around to team up with the rest of visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.