Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,101      
Might not be. But, he would be added to the mix and would have time to become ready with Eifler, Harding, and Hansen. With Harding being a senior, you could redshirt him if need be as you still have Hollis as well. Then, work him in as a redshrit frosh. Maybe play him at OLB as a frosh as well.

#2,102      
Might not be. But, he would be added to the mix and would have time to become ready with Eifler, Harding, and Hansen. With Harding being a senior, you could redshirt him if need be as you still have Hollis as well. Then, work him in as a redshrit frosh. Maybe play him at OLB as a frosh as well.
With the new rule .. Can now play him up to 4 games get some reps and still redshirt!!
Would be perfect situation for the rule to come into play..

#2,103      
Is cooper ready to play day 1?

Ready to play, not as in will he play, but is he mentally and physically built to be an immediate D1 starter?

Like if he went to a mid level p5, would he be looking to jump over a returning guy or truly compete in a camp competition and win that spot? Or would he be redshirted like he would at an upper level P5?

I truly don’t know and am trying to figure out where to set my expectations should he make it to campus.

Cooper needs to add weight, so I'm not sure he's an instant impact guy at the Big 10 level.

Even if he is, given that we play mostly a 4-2-5, it'd be hard for him to start. We have Hansen and Eifler (who is just a monster physically) as 2 all-Big 10 level starters. Then we also have Harding, and I'm pretty high on Tolson too.

I defiinitely agree that Cooper is a huge recruit for us though. He's going to be a really good college player. I was at the Trinity vs ESL game and he was the best defender on the field. If he can maintain his speed while adding weight, he has a chance to be really special, because like Hansen he has great instincts. Landing him would be a huge win for Lovie in terms of StL recruiting and LB recruiting

#2,104      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Cooper needs to add weight, so I'm not sure he's an instant impact guy at the Big 10 level.

Even if he is, given that we play mostly a 4-2-5, it'd be hard for him to start. We have Hansen and Eifler (who is just a monster physically) as 2 all-Big 10 level starters. Then we also have Harding, and I'm pretty high on Tolson too.

I defiinitely agree that Cooper is a huge recruit for us though. He's going to be a really good college player. I was at the Trinity vs ESL game and he was the best defender on the field. If he can maintain his speed while adding weight, he has a chance to be really special, because like Hansen he has great instincts. Landing him would be a huge win for Lovie in terms of StL recruiting and LB recruiting

Nice post. FWLIW, I'm high on Tolson too. Assuming we land Cooper (oh, please!), Nickerson may use him as the 5th DB in clear running situations early (while he's still packing on mass). Kid can run like a deer. Having 4-5 BIG level LBs, is most definitely a very desirable objective.

#2,105      

Deleted member 29907

D
Don't want to derail the thread, just a quick yes/no - but do we acknowledge the Illini in the Pros during our games? I've seen some teams show highlights of their players in the Pros during timeouts or halftime on the big screen. GMo, Nickerson and Fej would have been nice highlights for recruits this week (or next or next).

#2,106      

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Don't want to derail the thread, just a quick yes/no - but do we acknowledge the Illini in the Pros during our games? I've seen some teams show highlights of their players in the Pros during timeouts or halftime on the big screen. GMo, Nickerson and Fej would have been nice highlights for recruits this week (or next or next).

Fantastic idea! (y)(y)(y)

#2,107      

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
That seems like such a no-brainer. Don't think I've ever seen something like that at one of our games.

#2,108      

Deleted member 654622

D
I was at week 1, they acknowledged the guys that were in attendance. But I do not recall any other current pros that were showcased on the video board or anything

#2,109      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
On a somewhat recruiting related topic, this fluff piece is a bit tough to stomach for those of us in the Anti-Fleck brigade:
P.J. Fleck has already assembled the core of his next great team
https://247sports.com/Article/minnesota-football-pj-fleck-121847096/
While I am still hopeful about our future under Lovie, the difference in perception between the two programs is disappointing.

#2,110      
On a somewhat recruiting related topic, this fluff piece is a bit tough to stomach for those of us in the Anti-Fleck brigade:
P.J. Fleck has already assembled the core of his next great team
https://247sports.com/Article/minnesota-football-pj-fleck-121847096/
While I am still hopeful about our future under Lovie, the difference in perception between the two programs is disappointing.

I'd bet the P.J. PR team was in full-court press to get that one out.

#2,116      
Keith Randolph with a Mich St offer now. I haven't heard anything about his season, but he has impressed Sparty

#2,117      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I have been in Decatur for 10 years and met Jacardia six years ago. He is a fantastic athlete that could perform on any high school class level, if he was at a bigger school he’d easily be at a minimum... a 4
2b50.png
⭐️ He has the potential to play 5 different positions!! He has been offered by Iowa as a frosh, Minn and Mich St. I really don't get it ??

https://herald-review.com/sports/hi...campaign=LEEDCC#tracking-source=home-breaking
I've lived in Decatur all my life. Jacardia is very talented but to think he would do the same against 5A-6A is crazy talk. He was ridiculous as a freshman and suprised quite a few people. That was his best statistical season I believe. I mean could you imagine what Mike Epstein would have done to these kids here in central illinois running behind a solid line (compared to opponents)like St.T has? I'm not knocking the kid by any means, I'd love to see the Illini snag him up however I think they are recruiting him as a safety. I would say he is a solid 3 star recruit.

#2,118      
Anyone who thinks Jacardia couldn't be a star on the Metamoras and Joliet Catholics of the world are completely wrong. Kid is flat out goooooood.

#2,119      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Imagine what he would do if he attended the same school Epstein did...it'd be a whole different situation for him...there's a reason...Epstein is at Illinois coming out of a prominent Florida High School powerhouse...and ends up here instead of an SEC school. How many start recruit was Epstein ?
Wrong. Epstein was hurt his junior year and by the time his senior year was over people in Florida were saying we got a steal getting the best back in Florida. Sorry you are offended pal.

#2,120      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Anyone who thinks Jacardia couldn't be a star on the Metamoras and Joliet Catholics of the world are completely wrong. Kid is flat out goooooood.
Being a star on 1 of those teams doesn't guarantee that you will be a 4 star prospect. You guys are acting like I said the kid sucks. We could debate all day long wether he would be a stud here or there but let's not act like most of the teams on St. Teresa's schedule aren't absolute cupcakes that would get destroyed in the Big 12 or CS8. C'mon guys, let's be real. He wouldn't even put up godly numbers in the CS8 IMO.

#2,121      
The small school player at the Big Ten level is always an interesting discussion. Jacardia having 7 touchdowns against Tuscola IS impressive and we could use him here. Whether he is a four star talent... I'm not sure but I'd lean no. Another local small school player Jack Hockaday is a senior LB at Iowa now and I can assure you he would've gotten legit playing time here.

#2,122      
I’m not sure it matters where he is or how many stars he has. He has some measurables that are worth a p5 offer or several. He will go to a big school and will have an opportunity to play at a high level. We can’t compare him to Epstein, but it would be hard to argue that a person regarded as the best back in Floridahis senior year would be worse than a non best back in Illinois. But Jacardia looks solid to me.

#2,124      
I watched Jacardia play against Calhoun a couple years back in the 1A playoffs. There was alot of D-II talent on both sides, and he was like a man amongst boys as a sophomore. Not sure how that translates, but you could tell that there was something special about him.

#2,125      
I watched Jacardia play against Calhoun a couple years back in the 1A playoffs. There was alot of D-II talent on both sides, and he was like a man amongst boys as a sophomore. Not sure how that translates, but you could tell that there was something special about him.

The difference between p5 and d2 talent is pretty big, so I’m not sure that is telling much. Not to say jacardia doesn’t have it. But that probably wouldn’t be a signal by itself. He has solid offers and he looks good on tape. But given how well Lovies recruits have worked, I would trust an offer/no offer by us

Status
Not open for further replies.