Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Word is that he'd decided he's not 100% & wants to take other visits. We told him NO.
If this is true, GOOD. We are in a position where passing on any 3-star is tough, especially a skilled WR from an IL high school that has had tons of talented athletes as of late. However, we can’t allow these recruits to think we are the fall back. We offered, he took his time and had a chance to take other visits and through the process decided to commit. If you want out, you’re out. Good luck elsewhere.

If this is true, GOOD. We are in a position where passing on any 3-star is tough, especially a skilled WR from an IL high school that has had tons of talented athletes as of late. However, we can’t allow these recruits to think we are the fall back. We offered, he took his time and had a chance to take other visits and through the process decided to commit. If you want out, you’re out. Good luck elsewhere.
Most programs let kids commit and continue looking. We have had very little signing day attrition, so I like how we are recruiting. I hope the players we need come back in the fold.

Imagine being in a position to Crean guys from the Class of 2020!

We'll obviously take Michigan leftovers. His mom really seemed to like Lovie and the staff when we were going after him in the Spring.

You’re either with us or against us. Time to stop coddling these young men.
If you want to an ILLINI God Bless you and welcome aboard. If not good luck to you.

Imagine being in a position to Crean guys from the Class of 2020!

We'll obviously take Michigan leftovers. His mom really seemed to like Lovie and the staff when we were going after him in the Spring.
Although I'm not sure that we offer a similar product to Michigan, I'm curious, do you think we have a legit shot?

Former Krush Cow
South Bend, IN
Sounds like off the field issue.....proceed with caution
This is 100% a quote from reddit but here:

"Rivals.com mods said he has missed 3-4 games this year due to off field issues and michigan checked in on it over the bye week. Im not trying to drag his name in the mud but it doesn't seem like it had to do with room"

This is 100% a quote from reddit but here:

"Rivals.com mods said he has missed 3-4 games this year due to off field issues and michigan checked in on it over the bye week. Im not trying to drag his name in the mud but it doesn't seem like it had to do with room"
I had never seen a recruit claim room as the reason, so I guess it makes sense that the actual reason was worse.

Disagree. Illinois needs to understand that they are not an attractive destination. If the coaching staff thought he was good enough to receive a scholarship, they need to keep him. This team needs to continue adding quality athletes. Turning people away because they are having second thoughts is bad policy. I have no problem re-recruiting him. He's a great athlete that can help the team in the long-term. He's young and wants to make sure he's making the right decision, has interest in another program, whatever the reason, just keep recruiting him.

I'm in favor if building program with freshmen, but need to get 5/class that are nature ready to go transfers. Too many of these young bucks can't handle independent college living a d drop off. OSU and Arkansas just lost experienced WR due to lack of opportunity. Each of those WR have more catches than our corps. Those are the types we need to fill the gaps.

There were a couple of CBs put in for Childress to Toledo. I'm guessing we aren't taking him back which is pretty disappointing given the recent development with McCray and the immediate need for WRs.

Besides Rajae Johnson, who is a realistic target that we could get? Ali Jennings isn't an option anymore I'm guessing. Will we have to go for extreme reaches in CA or FL after the early signing period? Instate is VERY weak for WR recruits this year and I'm not seeing anyone else in St. Louis that is a realistic get.

I guess they can go the JUCO and Graduate Transfer route.

The JUCO route hurts class balance and those kids are kind of risky anyways. Stampley was a nice pick up but he was an extreme academic risk who was also a local kid who they extended a scholarship to very late in the process.

With Graduate transfers, we don't even know who will be available at the moment and we saw how well Meadors and Greene turned out.

Childress decommited a month or so ago. IF he was told not to bother calling then it had nothing to do with the McCray situation, which developed a full month later. No matter I am OK with the decision made - they do not want to come after committing, then all-the-best and we part ways.

I would thin a 3* from FL, TX or CA could fill such gaps.

We are pretty young there and the state and St. Louis is loaded at WR next year. So, maybe we take a flier this year and recruit like gangbusters next year.