Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      
So in year 2 Fleck is putting together a group of Illinois recruits that would probably rank with the best groups of Illinois kids we've recruited over the last 50 years. Ouch.

Overstating things quite a bit IMO. They have Bargy who is #190 Nationally and then 2 more in the top 1000.

In 2009 we had Hawthorne at #72 and 6 others in top 1000.

As someone said earlier the high end talent hasn't been there in big numbers in state recently

#1,327      
Overstating things quite a bit IMO. They have Bargy who is #190 Nationally and then 2 more in the top 1000.

As someone said earlier the high end talent hasn't been there in big numbers in state recently

Yeah also we still have plenty of options at the position start with the guys that are there bt the staff could be going after 4 star Jacques sorrels who told I believe roundtree to come to Illinois or Okpala who if u have seen the picture on the timeline is huge if there is one thing that NO coach can teach and that’s SIZE

#1,328      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

There is higher end talent in Illinois, it's just not going to Illinois.

#1,330      
My thoughts exactly and the staff probably realized this which is why we r recruiting like 3 others at the position and minny can offer pt that he won’t get yr 1 wit h us

I would be very surprised if Bargy sees much PT as a true Fr. He is an athletic freak, which is why he is rated so high, but he has a long ways to go on the field. He would've really benefited from the tutelage of Lovie/Hardy

#1,331      

illini80

Forgottonia
Fwiw, Werner quoted Lovie as telling Bargy he would continue to recruit him until he was signed. Maybe the Fleck persona will wear thin by then. Not likely, but possible.

#1,332      
Fwiw, Werner quoted Lovie as telling Bargy he would continue to recruit him until he was signed. Maybe the Fleck persona will wear thin by then. Not likely, but possible.

Well time to move on to the next recruit. A few months ago we were high on Trevor Keegan’s list but last rumor I heard had him going to Ohio st anyone know anything?

#1,333      

warchant

So Ill

Fleck has decommits often this is not a bad strategy. We also have a lot at d end and a lot of good recruits interested too. This isn't earth shattering.

#1,334      
On to the next one....

Shammond Cooper ⁷‏ @Shammond07 21m21 minutes ago

1f60e.png
#ILLGANG19

Dc4mmAQXUAAV9JG.jpg:small

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,336      
Awesome recruit at a position of need?

+ freakin 1

Yeah I think he’s on board but I think jack Buford and Marcus Washington are on the mizzou train which means we need to start going after Shammond and ira hard before this recruiting process gets a bit more aggravating

#1,337      
I don't think we are too upset down the road by not signing Bargy.. I have seen him play my 4A HS the last two years and he was very unimpressive and for the most part not noticed.. we had a 5'10 180 LB OT tear him up this fall.. our 5'9" 160 OLB knocked him out of the game in his soph year..

The guy has all the measurable, not sure much else

#1,338      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
I don't think we are too upset down the road by not signing Bargy.. I have seen him play my 4A HS the last two years and he was very unimpressive and for the most part not noticed.. we had a 5'10 180 LB OT tear him up this fall.. our 5'9" 160 OLB knocked him out of the game in his soph year..

The guy has all the measurable, not sure much else
We didn't want him anyway. :D

#1,339      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
We didn't want him anyway. :D

Classic. Would be a "great project with awesome measurables who will excel under the right tutelage while at U of I, likely contributing some in year 1 but will be a beast in year 2, possible draft pick after year 3." But since he committed elsewhere, "Eh. He sucks. Overrated."

#1,340      
Fairly good article about Illinois recruiting:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...recruit-trinity-catholic-st-louis-lovie-smith

I tend to agree with most of what is written. I think it does undersell Lovie a bit - I don't think Patterson and Ward are as successful under, say, Beckman. I think recruits, especially defensive players, think Lovie does help their chances of getting to the NFL. But, as Washington says in the article, Illinois needs to show some results.

#1,341      

illinihawk16

Chicago
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...recruit-trinity-catholic-st-louis-lovie-smith

I tend to agree with most of what is written. I think it does undersell Lovie a bit - I don't think Patterson and Ward are as successful under, say, Beckman. I think recruits, especially defensive players, think Lovie does help their chances of getting to the NFL. But, as Washington says in the article, Illinois needs to show some results.

Some interesting quotes from Shammond in there also. He seems to also expect some on-field results from us this year.

#1,342      
Classic. Would be a "great project with awesome measurables who will excel under the right tutelage while at U of I, likely contributing some in year 1 but will be a beast in year 2, possible draft pick after year 3." But since he committed elsewhere, "Eh. He sucks. Overrated."

Maybe he will develop into a stud, but right now on the field playing a 2A schedule, he doesn't stand out when I have seen them.. but the kid has some major measurables.

#1,343      

Whitman understands the disaster Lovie inherited and is concerned more with a 5-7 year plan. Whitman is building facilities and infrastructure to have a good program, including having the right coach in place. Illinois recruiting is getting better in years 1-3, winning will follow. We had terrible recruiting under Beckman and the tail end of Zook. That is why we are bad. Still another year away until we start to see the talent play as juniors that we will see more wins. Also need to develop our QBs.

#1,344      

Deleted member 654622

D

This goes along with what I have been saying. In 2 years, facilities will be up to par, we should be winning more ball games, and dudes will start getting DRAFTED. That is what the majority of these kids want, to play for a living.

#1,345      
This goes along with what I have been saying. In 2 years, facilities will be up to par, we should be winning more ball games, and dudes will start getting DRAFTED. That is what the majority of these kids want, to play for a living.

Great points. We will need to start selling wins vs PT time.

#1,346      
Everyone wants the NFL or the NBA. In high school they just don't realize how elite those leagues are. Miznoz had one player drafted. This is why you get an education. You live the best years of your life in college, then you move on to make something of yourself. But no one is going to draft you just because you think they should. You can have that as a goal, but history is full of athletes who bet the farm on it and lost.

#1,347      

EJ33

San Francisco

And here's what Cooper says:

“They gotta be somewhat decent, where we can go somewhere and change things around. I don’t want to go to a program that’s dead, can’t get out the water. I have to see improvement, but I see potential,” Shammond Cooper said. “They have to have a decent season, win like five games, show some potential against the big teams like Ohio State. I don’t want to see them getting 60-balled. I’d give it a 50-50 chance that Illinois sweeps all of us.”

#1,348      
And here's what Cooper says:

There were a lot of interesting quotes in there. It shows what many of us already know: we have the players' attention, now we need to win to keep it.

#1,349      
There were a lot of interesting quotes in there. It shows what many of us already know: we have the players' attention, now we need to win to keep it.

Also mean Shammond and Marcus won’t be making commitment decisions soon in my book

#1,350      

Deleted member 654622

D
Everyone wants the NFL or the NBA. In high school they just don't realize how elite those leagues are. Miznoz had one player drafted. This is why you get an education. You live the best years of your life in college, then you move on to make something of yourself. But no one is going to draft you just because you think they should. You can have that as a goal, but history is full of athletes who bet the farm on it and lost.

I completely agree. But the majority of 16yr olds do not consider all of that. They have a 1 thing in mind.....ok maybe 2. If we start putting dudes in the NFL, Lovie will get a lot more credibility from top recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.