Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,501      
Maybe I'm just not as connected into recruiting as others, but what would be the downside to asking these guys to commit? (assuming it's simply asking, not playing the "commit or lose your spot" game). I mean we're the worst program in the B1G. Having guys with offers from powerhouse programs commit to us would be huge.

The downside is that they could say "no" and walk away.

Even if they say "yes", people are still going to recruit them. We then run the risk of them changing their minds.

The staff currently is trying the strategy of having the recruits get all the information about their choices before committing. Hopefully if a recruit makes a more informed choice, they are more likely to stick to it.

#1,505      

Deleted member 654622

D
On the Jeremy Werner show today a few good notes:

1. Shammond was scheduled to visit Texas this month (I don't remember the date stated, 13th?). Instead he is coming to ILLINOIS for a visit.

2. Billingsley has delayed his commitment to Florida and will now take a visit to Penn State. Hopefully he can see that they are selling the same thing as Florida and ILL truly has a unique opportunity?

#1,506      

Deleted member 631370

D
On the Jeremy Werner show today a few good notes:

1. Shammond was scheduled to visit Texas this month (I don't remember the date stated, 13th?). Instead he is coming to ILLINOIS for a visit.

2. Billingsley has delayed his commitment to Florida and will now take a visit to Penn State. Hopefully he can see that they are selling the same thing as Florida and ILL truly has a unique opportunity?

Penn State has two 4* TEs from the 2018 class already, and they're heavily recruiting a 5* TE in the 2019 class. Not sure that's the best destination for him, but they can sell TE prospects on that whole Mike Gesicki thing.

#1,507      

Deleted member 654622

D
It looks like Mizzou. He just visited and the CB picks are going towards Mizzou.

The balls show 50% Mizzery - 50% Oklahoma. Ya he visited on June 1st. It would be nice to pull a rabbit out of the hat here

#1,509      
I want to know what they are teaching these kids at Chicago Phillips. What is their definition of soon?
Jahleel's video was coming soon as of the 24th
Fabian's top schools was coming soon as of the 25th.....

hopefully we get some good news on Jahleel "soon"

#1,510      

Deleted member 654622

D
hopefully we get some good news on Jahleel "soon"

Next weekend is a BIG weekend. I do believe that is the camp being held on campus. I know Beason, Isaiah and Shammond will be there. I hope all three Phillips boys are there

#1,511      
Illinois coaches calling out Minnesota coaches on Twitter only to have Minnesota land 4 commits including a top Illini LB target in Donald Willis. Not a good look.

#1,513      

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Illinois coaches calling out Minnesota coaches on Twitter only to have Minnesota land 4 commits including a top Illini LB target in Donald Willis. Not a good look.

I don't see any coaches calling out Minnesota. That is their own paranoia

#1,516      

ritster

Wheaton, IL
When AHS mentions a guy on a plane that's "rowing that boat" I'm not sure there is another way to look at it.

i saw a tweet about getting on a plane yesterday. Don't remember the row the boat comment, however that tweet appears to be gone now

#1,517      

ritster

Wheaton, IL
i saw a tweet about getting on a plane yesterday. Don't remember the row the boat comment, however that tweet appears to be gone now

Correction: I was able to find it. No need for that, I agree. However, there is now not a team that I want to beat more in the Big Ten than Minnesota. I want to drum their @$$ up and down the football field this year and forward #FlickFleck

#1,518      

Deleted member 631370

D
Correction: I was able to find it. No need for that, I agree. However, there is now not a team that I want to beat more in the Big Ten than Minnesota. I want to drum their @$$ up and down the football field this year and forward #FlickFleck

We should have hired Fleck when we had the chance. But, whatever.

#1,519      

Deleted member 654622

D
We should have hired Fleck when we had the chance. But, whatever.

Maybe. I think it would have been a good hire. However, I am more than happy with, where I think, Lovie and his crew are taking us. I think the ceiling is higher

#1,523      

Deleted member 631370

D
Very very early days to be making claims like that.

And if Fleck types are the future of college football, I'll go waste my time on something else.

But it's certainly not too early to proclaim Underwood in over his head, eh? :thumb:

#1,524      

Deleted member 631370

D
Maybe. I think it would have been a good hire. However, I am more than happy with, where I think, Lovie and his crew are taking us. I think the ceiling is higher

I do think the ceiling is higher, but I don't actually think we'll ever sniff that ceiling. Not that I think Fleck would have us winning 9-10 games with any regularity, either, but he seems built for college football -- which I'm not the least bit convinced Lovie is.

With James Franklin getting PSU back to the upper echelon of CFB.....with Scott Frost entering the B1G West......with Michigan State apparently becoming a routine contender......to go along with the usual Ohio State/Michigan/Wisconsin success......it's going to be awfully hard for Illinois, no matter who is coaching, to become anything more than a 7-win team with regularity. I think Fleck would have gotten us to that point, though I still have my doubts with this current staff. But I do agree that the potential is definitely there if they can leverage that NFL reputation in recruiting and bring in blue-chippers.

But I digress. I know Fleck's class is something like #19 in the country right now, but he only has one kid in the top-700. He does seem to be pulling in a lot of quality 3-star kids, though. Definitely not the talent to compete with Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan.

#1,525      

Deleted member 654622

D
But it's certainly not too early to proclaim Underwood in over his head, eh? :thumb:

582.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.