Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,726      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I saw him play twice last season so take this with a grain of salt. When he ran out on field he certainly looked the part, but against competition he should have absolutely dominated he was a non-factor. Again small sample size and anecdotal evidence but he did not dominate like he should have against the 3A competition.

And there it is. A P5 prospect should absolutely dominate in 3A games.

#1,728      

breadman

Herndon, VA
I saw him play twice last season so take this with a grain of salt. When he ran out on field he certainly looked the part, but against competition he should have absolutely dominated he was a non-factor. Again small sample size and anecdotal evidence but he did not dominate like he should have against the 3A competition.

Thanks for weighing in on this kid. Maybe the coaching staff saw the same thing. Will always take a live and in person reporting first and foremost. Eyeballs on the prize!!

#1,730      
And there it is. A P5 prospect should absolutely dominate in 3A games.

That was my biggest issue considering that most of the guys he was playing against don't break 6'0 or 200 lbs, I expected him to be Charles Jefferson on the field. Just didn't happen and maybe it still will because like I said you definitely take note of him coming out of locker room.

#1,731      
From one of the worst linebacking corps in the past season to having Camilo Eifler, Shammond Cooper, and Jashua Allen being back there in 2019 would be amazing

#1,732      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
From one of the worst linebacking corps in the past season to having Camilo Eifler, Shammond Cooper, and Jashua Allen being back there in 2019 would be amazing

Yeah, that group would not be shabby. Very realistic too.

#1,733      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

And I'm still bullish on Jake Hansen. Hope he'll get a full recovery on the ACL.

#1,735      

illini80

Forgottonia
Blessed to announce I will be running Track at The University of Illinois
https://twitter.com/Ezmoneyquez/status/1014989405084422145

Marquez Beason gonna be a two-sport athlete for the #Illini
https://twitter.com/craigwchoate/status/1014991121645297666

Didn't know that was ever done anymore.

F. McCray's HS coach was on Werner show today and said he is the best player on the Phillips basketball team. Also has a 4.0 grade point avg. Kid could be a much better player (and hopefully recruiter) for us than I initially expected.

#1,736      
Blessed to announce I will be running Track at The University of Illinois
https://twitter.com/Ezmoneyquez/status/1014989405084422145

Marquez Beason gonna be a two-sport athlete for the #Illini
https://twitter.com/craigwchoate/status/1014991121645297666

Head track coach I worked with last year played football at Texas state and tried to run track as well. He said it was nearly impossible in college because his footbal coach made it so. Clearly Beason isn’t doing this without Lovie’s blessing. Lovie seems to like fast guys with track speed, so I wonder if this will be the last.

On a side note, I’d hope Baylor allows their incoming freshman who ran a 10.01 100m at state in Texas do the same. Dunno if Baylor can ever be counted on to do the right thing though...

#1,739      
I know Cumby has at least a 10.38 100m time. So maybe we also get a too BIG sprint team as well.

We already have one. The 4x100 was 3rd in conference and nearly made the NCAA finals.

No track coach is going to turn a free athlete (football/track guys have to be on the football team's tab). A quick pull of results says Beason ran on several quick relay teams, and relay team depth is always good.

If the kids want to compete in track, I think it is worth the slight effort of communication between the two staffs to make sure the proper training is being done.

#1,740      
Head track coach I worked with last year played football at Texas state and tried to run track as well. He said it was nearly impossible in college because his footbal coach made it so. Clearly Beason isn’t doing this without Lovie’s blessing. Lovie seems to like fast guys with track speed, so I wonder if this will be the last.

On a side note, I’d hope Baylor allows their incoming freshman who ran a 10.01 100m at state in Texas do the same. Dunno if Baylor can ever be counted on to do the right thing though...

Baylor had RG3 doing both (400m hurdles), so hopefully if the kid wants to they will encourage it.

#1,741      
I ran track at Eastern Illinois and we had several football players every year on our team and they were great sprinters and hurdlers. Many of them were national-caliber track athletes, and at least one of them went on to play in the NFL. We also had a wide receiver who was one of the fastest sprinters in the world and played in the CFL and XFL. He was lightening-fast, but also very short, which kept him from making it in the NFL. He was a Florida high school 100-meter track champion, but didn't get recruited by major college football programs because of his size.

It's a great way for them to stay in shape in the off-season. It was always funny watching the football players the first week of track practice after switching over from football, lying like dead people on the side of the track, because "football-shape" and track shape are two completely different things :)

Last edited:
#1,742      
I ran track at Eastern Illinois and we had several football players every year on our team and they were great sprinters and hurdlers. Many of them were national-caliber track athletes, and at least one of them went on to play in the NFL. We also had a wide receiver who was one of the fastest sprinters in the world and played in the CFL and XFL. He was lightening-fast, but also very short, which kept him from making it in the NFL. He was a Florida high school 100-meter track champion, but didn't get recruited by major college football programs because of his size.

It's a great way for them to stay in shape in the off-season. It was always funny watching the football players the first week of track practice after switching over from football, lying like dead people on the side of the track, because "football-shape" and track shape are two completely different things :)

Tony Romo?!

#1,746      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
In the end, they will pull in some of the best tight ends every year. I Hope he doesn’t regret that decision.

I wish him nothing but the best, that said, the road to green pastures at super high profile schools out west or down south is littered with Chicago area preps who didn't make it. The list is long.

#1,748      
Tony Romo?!

Nope, Romo was after me. I was there during the days of Sean Payton and John Jurkovic.

The NFL player who I ran track with was Ray McElroy, 4th round pick for the Colts who played in the NFL for 6 years as a defensive back. He was a pretty good hurdler and sprinter.

Status
Not open for further replies.