Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,778      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
like tell them they get to play......... a lot.

Depending on the quality of the recruit, Defensive tackle (and d-line in general) is one of the most difficult positions to give immediate playing time.

Last edited:
#1,782      

Deleted member 631370

D
So our recruiting is tanking? Lovie is sitting on lava right now...

Tanking? No.

But 2 kids in the top-800 isn't necessarily a cause to celebrate. Granted, those 2 kids are really good, but we're a long way from cracking the top-10 in the conference in terms of talent.

Are we recruiting at a level lower than reasonable expectations for a coach at Illinois? Not really. I did expect that Lovie would make a bigger splash on the recruiting trail than what he's made so far......I didn't necessarily expect a Zook-like recruiting haul, but more than 4 4* kids in 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,783      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
No formal connection, but a former 4-star LB recruit is leaving Texas A&M. Would love to have two transfer LBs with upside to plug in for 2019.

Link

#1,784      

Deleted member 654622

D
No formal connection, but a former 4-star LB recruit is leaving Texas A&M. Would love to have two transfer LBs with upside to plug in for 2019.

Link

This guy seems like another level up! Would be awesome if we could somehow snag him

#1,787      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Making a guess that recruiting will be fairly quiet until a couple weeks into the season.

#1,788      
Making a guess that recruiting will be fairly quiet until a couple weeks into the season.

I guess that means we all argue about whether lovie will make it or not and everyone for will argue he is recruiting great and everyone against will argue that recruiting sucks

#1,791      
Isaiah Williams moves up to #25 in the ESPN 300 2019 Rankings:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...yerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2019

Beason is #96 and is listed as a CB.

Shammond Cooper is #151.

That's quite a sharp difference of opinion between ESPN and 247 on Isaiah.

Two ways to look at it. On the one hand, you could say he's much more valuable somewhere other than QB, and ESPN is rating him based on that whereas 247 knows that Illinois landed him based on a promise to be a QB.

The other way to look at it comes from 247's article on the updated rankings where they mentioned Isaiah not having the skillset to be a pro QB. Well duh. That seems like a silly reason to drop a kid who IS a fit for the system he's going to school to play in.

I still believe that he's going to take the ball from snap #1 and never look back. Does anyone know if he's planning on enrolling early?

#1,793      
That's quite a sharp difference of opinion between ESPN and 247 on Isaiah.

Two ways to look at it. On the one hand, you could say he's much more valuable somewhere other than QB, and ESPN is rating him based on that whereas 247 knows that Illinois landed him based on a promise to be a QB.

Werner had something on the radio/podcast a day or 2 after updated 247 rankings came out. The QB bit may have been in there, I've heard that story, but don't remember if it was on there or just here. But the one thing they talked about was him having some weaker than expected measurables at a camp...I think they mentioned a 4.7 - 40 time, which is good but not top 100 good. I expect ESPN didn't way that as heavily or is just out of touch.

But regardless, let's just get him on campus at this point, he is going to be good.

#1,800      
I see on 247 that Massey has a UV scheduled for Missouri today and one for us on Friday (7/27). Sounds promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.