Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,252      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Glad the staff is getting this ironed out. We need all the playmakers we can get. Can't wait for Cumby to be returning kicks too! The 19 class is gonna be LIT!

#2,253      
Bryce's comments in this article indicate that he may recommit:

https://writingillini.com/2018/10/1...e-childress-still-eyeing-illini-landing-spot/

I really hope that they can straighten things out and get him back on board. This could be another Joseph Thompson situation where the kid makes an emotional decision but things get ironed out in the end.

I don’t follow recruiting in either sport too closely, but this is pretty bizarre, right? Decommit, then in the same week essentially say you’re still committed, without any sort of official recommitment? Waahhhht?

I feel like the prettiest girl in high school said she’d go to the prom with me, then said she wouldn’t, but in the same breath said she might. I’m so confused!

#2,254      

blackdog

Champaign
I don’t follow recruiting in either sport too closely, but this is pretty bizarre, right? Decommit, then in the same week essentially say you’re still committed, without any sort of official recommitment? Waahhhht?

I feel like the prettiest girl in high school said she’d go to the prom with me, then said she wouldn’t, but in the same breath said she might. I’m so confused!

Seems more like he dumped the prettiest girl for various reasons but then after looking around realized he made a big mistake and there was nothing better out there.

#2,255      
Seems more like he dumped the prettiest girl for various reasons but then after looking around realized he made a big mistake and there was nothing better out there.
Dont think that's it at all considering the other school he is most interested in isnt p5. Someone was in his ear hating on Illinois and he fell for it before realizing that person didnt have his best intentions.

#2,260      

Deleted member 633632

D
Good to see OL recruits coming in for visits... Would love to see Illinois get Trevor Keegan in for one but i don't know if that's gonna happen.

#2,262      
Glad the staff is getting this ironed out. We need all the playmakers we can get. Can't wait for Cumby to be returning kicks too! The 19 class is gonna be LIT!

I wouldn't say its ironed out, really good chance he wont be apart of this class

#2,263      

Deleted member 654622

D
On the Jeremy Werner show earlier this week, he points out that Rod Smith's former QB Khalil Tate at Arizona is going to be eligible for a Grad transfer next year. Remember he had a lot of Heisman hype in preseason with what he did in Smith's offense last year. Now under a new system, his numbers suck. Rod Smith and him have a great relationship.
I am not saying, but if he did come... WOW what a shot in the arm that would do for the program. We would be REALLY good for that one year. AND all the other QBs would get an extra year to develop as well. Starting MJ as a redshirt sophomore is A LOT better than a redshirt freshman

#2,264      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
On the Jeremy Werner show earlier this week, he points out that Rod Smith's former QB Khalil Tate at Arizona is going to be eligible for a Grad transfer next year. Remember he had a lot of Heisman hype in preseason with what he did in Smith's offense last year. Now under a new system, his numbers suck. Rod Smith and him have a great relationship.
I am not saying, but if he did come... WOW what a shot in the arm that would do for the program. We would be REALLY good for that one year. AND all the other QBs would get an extra year to develop as well. Starting MJ as a redshirt sophomore is A LOT better than a redshirt freshman

Plus it would give us a year to see what we have in Isaiah Williams.

It’s fun to dream. =D

#2,265      

Talking about a dream scenario, this is it. Odds are low but Sumlin seriously messed Tate up and he probably wants to go back to a system that he's comfortable in and uses his skillset properly.

#2,266      
I know we all aren't sold on Williams coming in and being our QB, but is that not at least the plan at this point? I thought the prevailing thought was he came here mainly because we promised him time at QB.

#2,267      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I wouldn't say its ironed out, really good chance he wont be apart of this class
What info do you have that we don't? He retweeted Beasons Twitter post about the 19 class being lit on Saturday. I've heard that Texas was trying to get involved but nothing I've seen says he wants to decommit.

#2,269      
I know we all aren't sold on Williams coming in and being our QB, but is that not at least the plan at this point? I thought the prevailing thought was he came here mainly because we promised him time at QB.

That is 100% the plan and will continue to be the plan. After seeing Rod Smith's offense thus far, I for one can't wait to see Williams running the show. Our playcalling will be similar to how it is with AJ in, however Williams is more elusive, faster, and an improved passer. Freshman can come in and run the offense(see MJ Rivers) because there isn't a lot of very difficult passing reads or complex routes. I'm betting Isaiah starts under center week one next year barring a grad transfer.

#2,270      
Williams coming in and winning the starting QB position is my dream scenario. That would fix so many things, for a long time.

#2,271      
Do not sell MJ short. He has played and played well for a frosh against ranked teams, SFU, PSU, and Wisky. If Williams beats him out in a far fight, then we have something there.

#2,272      

Deleted member 654622

D
I am sure that is his plan for sure. I think he is a dynamic athlete. But I have been high on MJ from day 1. I don't think Isaiah beats MJ in year one. I seriously doubt he would beat our Tate as well (if we are lucky enough for that to happen). If he does, he is going to be one HELLOF a player!

#2,273      
That is 100% the plan and will continue to be the plan. After seeing Rod Smith's offense thus far, I for one can't wait to see Williams running the show. Our playcalling will be similar to how it is with AJ in, however Williams is more elusive, faster, and an improved passer. Freshman can come in and run the offense(see MJ Rivers) because there isn't a lot of very difficult passing reads or complex routes. I'm betting Isaiah starts under center week one next year barring a grad transfer.

In addition, its worth noting that MJ Rivers is not the Rod Smith "ideal" QB. IW much more fits the mold which is why I think MJ is the one fighting the uphill battle to be the starter next year.

#2,274      
What info do you have that we don't? He retweeted Beasons Twitter post about the 19 class being lit on Saturday. I've heard that Texas was trying to get involved but nothing I've seen says he wants to decommit.
Seriously... no speculating about Cumby without something to back it up. I don’t won’t to have to worry about decommits for no reason. Following the ups and downs of a 17-18 year old getting courted by D1 schools on Twitter is enough to drive you mad - sometimes I think it would be better to tune all recruiting out and just read who we landed on signing day

#2,275      
I am sure that is his plan for sure. I think he is a dynamic athlete. But I have been high on MJ from day 1. I don't think Isaiah beats MJ in year one. I seriously doubt he would beat our Tate as well (if we are lucky enough for that to happen). If he does, he is going to be one HELLOF a player!

Yes, and if iw comes in May, that makes it more difficult for him to win the starting role because he will have less experience with the playbook. He may earn it over the season, but we won’t keep him on the bench. He will come in for special plays, at the very least. But probably play some downs at receiver or something. We just don’t have the playmakers to bench him. Tate would be a great person to mentor the younger players and allow them time to grow and develop. Mj has done well, but he could use a redshirt year.

Status
Not open for further replies.