Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,352      

UofI08

Chicago
I don’t know a ton about the kid. Was he close to getting some big time offers?

#2,355      
Ugh... This is killing me. Deciding to follow what high school kids are doing in the recruiting realm is a freaking roller coaster fueled by twitter status updates and speculation. I’m beginning to think I’d save myself a whole lot of angst just reading up on the bios and watching highlights of those we ink after signing day then try to follow recruits months/years out.

It will be interesting to hear what the deal on this is. After Childress decommitment took a 180 within a day I’m not sure what to expect. Dude was getting plenty of love from Illini fans hopefully coaches were staying in touch. From what I can see he doesn’t have a boat load of big time offers that he is moving up the ranks chasing. Phillips doesn’t have much of a passing game so his #’s aren’t huge (Billingsley been playing a ton of wildcat QB in the playoffs for them)

For WRs coming in though, I do really like what I see from that Washington kid out of Texas. His highlights look impressive - some really good catches in traffic hanging on to tough balls

#2,356      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
can be all kinds of reasons behind kids de-committing and reopening recruiting

do we know if this lad is even close to qualifying ?
are there personal family things that have perhaps changed in his life?

the timing is odd, but let the kid have his time to figure things out.
The staff is already on to the others still available

#2,358      

FT35

Naperville

He had offers from Minnesota, Kentucky and West Virginia. Pretty sure all of the schools except for Minnesota wanted him to play in the Secondary. He wants to play WR at the next level and Illinois was one of the few P5 schools who wanted him as a WR before this season.

He's had a good Senior season so something tells me he's getting more interest at WR from other P5 schools but I really don't know. This one surprises me quite frankly and he's arguably the best WR in Illinois for the Class of 2019 so this is a big loss. We have a massive need for WRs who are over 6 feet tall.

I wonder what this means for Thompson? I don't think Thompson has many other P5 options and he's already burned a bridge with Iowa State so he'll probably stick. His lack of size makes him a project and he's been hurt for at least part of his Senior season.

#2,360      
Would someone please touch upon why there are no OL's committed? Is it because we can vacuum them up dime a dozen at the end? Or that we've tried and not had any success reeling them in? I'd feel more at ease knowing we will have linemen to run and pass behind. Can't have enough of them.

#2,361      
Would someone please touch upon why there are no OL's committed? Is it because we can vacuum them up dime a dozen at the end? Or that we've tried and not had any success reeling them in? I'd feel more at ease knowing we will have linemen to run and pass behind. Can't have enough of them.

Part of it is at nearly every position on the field we can tell this year's recruits "you have a legit chance to come in and start day 1". On the offensive line, that isn't the case. It is a big part of our sell.

#2,362      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

I think the staff-friendly answer is that our big targets just haven't committed anywhere yet.

We're certainly in the mix for a few, but that is the big glaring hole right now, for sure. Need 2-3 at least.

#2,363      
We return 4 of five starters there and we are young there with others in the wing. We do need a couple and I suspect we get guys that will need some time in the weight room.

#2,364      
can be all kinds of reasons behind kids de-committing and reopening recruiting

do we know if this lad is even close to qualifying ?
are there personal family things that have perhaps changed in his life?

the timing is odd, but let the kid have his time to figure things out.
The staff is already on to the others still available

Given an offer from Harvard, I doubt he wouldn’t qualify. But I have no inside information.

#2,365      

FT35

Naperville

Butkus has swung and missed on a lot of instate guys (Broeker, Monnot, Guedet, etc..)

Price tore an ACL this year and ended up Western Michigan. We were looking pretty good with him but probably backed off because of the injury.

We have offered two instate guys who are questionable takes for various reasons (Moore, Kirts).

Buford chose Missouri and Henry probably will too.

Clark decides on Wednesday and it's between us and Arizona with the CBs trending towards Arizona.

There are other guys with offers but they probably will not come here. Hoofkin visited for the Purdue game and he's gotten a lot of Texas CBs recently.

#2,366      

Deleted member 654622

D
I think the staff-friendly answer is that our big targets just haven't committed anywhere yet.

We're certainly in the mix for a few, but that is the big glaring hole right now, for sure. Need 2-3 at least.
Are we basically out on IRA Henry now? I saw a senior night pic of him abbs his family holding a collage of him and all the colleges. Didn't see ILL on the

#2,367      
Are we basically out on IRA Henry now? I saw a senior night pic of him abbs his family holding a collage of him and all the colleges. Didn't see ILL on the

I think Illinois was right under his left hand front and center next to Mizzou

#2,369      
Best thing is to play well the next 3 games. There are going to be coaches fired and transfers across the country. I would try to stock up on more Milo Eifert type transfers.

Look how late we got AJ Bush. There will be more decommits from other schools need to jump all over the worthy ones quickly.

#2,370      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I hope we can get Hojo Watkins back. He's played all over the OL for Garden City CC.

would this be a possibility? Didn't lovie dismiss watkins in the group of 3 that were stealing from someone (really poorly might I add)? maybe i'm not remembering it correctly?

#2,371      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL

he had P5 offers from Iowa State, Rutgers, Kentucky, Purdue, Minnesota, West Virginia (according to Robert's LLUOI post on IB)

#2,374      

Deleted member 746094

D
Word is that he'd decided he's not 100% & wants to take other visits. We told him NO.

If this is true, GOOD. We are in a position where passing on any 3-star is tough, especially a skilled WR from an IL high school that has had tons of talented athletes as of late. However, we can’t allow these recruits to think we are the fall back. We offered, he took his time and had a chance to take other visits and through the process decided to commit. If you want out, you’re out. Good luck elsewhere.

#2,375      
If this is true, GOOD. We are in a position where passing on any 3-star is tough, especially a skilled WR from an IL high school that has had tons of talented athletes as of late. However, we can’t allow these recruits to think we are the fall back. We offered, he took his time and had a chance to take other visits and through the process decided to commit. If you want out, you’re out. Good luck elsewhere.

Most programs let kids commit and continue looking. We have had very little signing day attrition, so I like how we are recruiting. I hope the players we need come back in the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.