Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,676      

Deleted member 654622

D
Coran is the only one i would worry about transferring...I dont think he will ever see the field as a QB.
Coran just tweeted out the other day that he "needed more attention". Of course not everything these guys say/tweet is just football, but that is how I took it.

#2,677      
My guess (and hope) is staff is waiting until about now to offer the under the radar prospects, setup official visits. Weekends of 7th and 14th left before signing day. Not sure if they wait until next week. They could just offer without time for a visit and push for a commit. I hope there is a plan.

#2,681      
IW is the starting QB next year unless you get a guy like Tate.

With how well MJ stepped into the roll this year, I highly doubt IW will start at QB next year and definitely not early in the year next year. The transition from high school to college is huge. The playbook is more complicated, the reads are more difficult. I think that IW would do great as an instinctual QB (think Cardale Jones), but I think that you want to let him develop and learn. Although IW was surrounded by fast receivers, so the speed of the receivers won't affect him as much, the speed of the defenders will.

#2,682      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Wouldn't surprise me to see, assuming no Tate, that Illinois has packages for both Rivers and Williams and they employ something similar to what Georgia did this year.

#2,684      
Wouldn't surprise me to see, assuming no Tate, that Illinois has packages for both Rivers and Williams and they employ something similar to what Georgia did this year.
Something something if you have two quarterbacks you none.

#2,685      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Something something if you have two quarterbacks you none.

That saying applies much more to the NFL than college. As stated, Georgia just did the two-QB system all year and were successful.

#2,686      
I wouldnt say that Georgia had a two-QB system. Fields barely played and probably shouldnt have played at all. Fromm is a NFL quarterback.

#2,687      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL

This is what I'm envisioning with IW and/or Khalil Tate. Having Rivers as an option obviously doesn't hurt, but it's not like Rivers came in this year and was clearly the best option for next year. He did better than expected and put himself squarely in the conversation and competition moving forward, but if Illinois has someone as dynamic as IW and an OC like Rod Smith, you do as much as you can to optimize the talent. Hopefully Illinois has the luxury of debating Tate vs. Williams vs. Rivers next year.

P.S. - I don't feel like you see spin moves like those anymore. What happened to the spin move?
P.P.S. - Ignore the highlights against Illinois.
P.P.P.S. - What is up with those Indiana jerseys, logo, and color scheme? That's before my time consistently watching college football. Man, that's ugly.

#2,688      
That saying applies much more to the NFL than college. As stated, Georgia just did the two-QB system all year and were successful.

MJ Rivers and IW have not shown anything that says they are even in the ballpark of Fromm and Fields. Add into this the fact that UGA has 5* talent surrounding those guys on all sides. It is WAY different here

#2,689      
I know I was about half joking, but it still isn't the best position to be in, but compared to what we've been treated with in recent memory, it would be partially welcome.

Also if Georgia's "2 QB system" is what you're expecting here, then that isn't what I expect when I hear a 2 QB system. Fields had maybe 20 meaningful snaps all year. To me, a 2 QB is one where, while not 50/50, is at least 75/25. I don't know snaps, but I watched a lot of Georgia football this year and when games actually mattered, I doubt Fields was out there for more than 20% of snaps, and that's even probably high.

Would still take IW and KT splitting snaps though, but I doubt it happens.

#2,690      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Georgia's setup is what I expect when I hear two-QB system. One of them will have to prove in camp that they will handle the brunt of the snaps. The second QB will have a package built to their strengths. This likely works best if Rivers takes the majority of the snaps and the "move" QB (Williams) has a package of plays built around his strengths. I am with you when it gets close to 50/50 is when one of the QBs has been ineffective and team is playing an unproven backup in an attempt to find a spark or a change of page.

MJ Rivers and IW have not shown anything that says they are even in the ballpark of Fromm and Fields. Add into this the fact that UGA has 5* talent surrounding those guys on all sides. It is WAY different here

This wasn't the question. I have no expectations that Rivers/Williams = Fromm/Fields. The question was whether a team can be successful playing two QBs. Georgia has proven they can, with the expectation that one of the QBs takes the majority of the snaps.

#2,692      
Georgia's setup is what I expect when I hear two-QB system. One of them will have to prove in camp that they will handle the brunt of the snaps. The second QB will have a package built to their strengths. This likely works best if Rivers takes the majority of the snaps and the "move" QB (Williams) has a package of plays built around his strengths. I am with you when it gets close to 50/50 is when one of the QBs has been ineffective and team is playing an unproven backup in an attempt to find a spark or a change of page.

This wasn't the question. I have no expectations that Rivers/Williams = Fromm/Fields. The question was whether a team can be successful playing two QBs. Georgia has proven they can, with the expectation that one of the QBs takes the majority of the snaps.

That's different, I agree. Personally I am against 2 QB's either way especially with young QB's that take awhile to get in a rhythm. So, while true it can work(UGA) I think we'd struggle. Slightly off topic here but most of the season I figured Georgia was getting Fields some snaps to keep him from transferring. Crazy the #2 recruit in the country at QB will probably be a backup his first two years.

#2,697      

FT35

Naperville
My guess (and hope) is staff is waiting until about now to offer the under the radar prospects, setup official visits. Weekends of 7th and 14th left before signing day. Not sure if they wait until next week. They could just offer without time for a visit and push for a commit. I hope there is a plan.

We already have 11 commits and only 16 scholarships are available now that Martin and Solomon are gone.

We probably aren't going to see anymore '19 offers for "under the radar" guys until we get a clearer picture of who else is transferring or if our top targets choose to go elsewhere. I'd imagine that some of these scholarships are being held open for transfers as well. I would expect a few offers to go out after the December signing period if a couple more RS Juniors don't come back. Walker and J. Marchese are also on one year scholarships that need to be renewed by the staff.

#2,698      

FT35

Naperville
Urban Meyer, in today's press conference said that 92% of recruits sign during the early signing period. Is that th case here?

All of our commits signed last December except for Taylor who signed in February.

The rest of the class that signed in February was offered after the December signing period.

Any commit who doesn't sign in December should be considered a soft verbal. There's really no reason for them not to sign in December if they are committed.

#2,700      

FT35

Naperville
Status
Not open for further replies.