Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,702      

Sawicky

Chicago, IL
All D1 scholarships are 1 year contracts unless I missed a change since I stopped playing in 2013

#2,704      

Deleted member 654622

D
. Walker and J. Marchese are also on one year scholarships that need to be renewed by the staff.
Don't want to be an arse but that is a hard pass for me. I would rather use it on a Bryce Childress type

#2,705      
It changed as of 10/8/2014:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/49889-big-ten-first-league-to-guarantee-4-year-scholarships

If they were 1 year contracts then there'd be a few guys from the Class of 2016 who wouldn't be on this roster anymore.

They're still 1 year contracts. The guarantee is just that you will have 4 years of scholarship. You can still lose your athletic scholarship and get moved to an equivalent non-athletic one. That is what usually happened when someone got hurt and had to "retire", now it is just guaranteed.

#2,707      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I am sure this is old news, but I heard today from a local coach here in Southern Illinois that Luke Ford is “definitely” transferring to IL, as of 5 days ago, TIFWIW...all I know

1. As always, not holding my breath and will believe it when I see it. (Although, awesome if true)

2. If true, man I wish these recruits would have been able to see the bigger picture before committing to a program where they would be buried on the depth chart. (And im talking in general, not just receuits Illinois wanted) I’m guessing it’s just one of those things where every recruit thinks they can be a star at Georgia or Bama or wherever and needs to test the water for themselves.

#2,708      

Deleted member 633632

D
The upgrade he would bring to the TE position is obvious, but the effect he could have in recruiting could be a game changer... "Hey i went to Georgia, so if you wanna go to Alabama, Clemson, i can tell what that's all about... But if you wanna be Legendary and build somethin from the ground up..."

Im optimistic this could be huge in many ways to say the least!

#2,709      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I am sure this is old news, but I heard today from a local coach here in Southern Illinois that Luke Ford is “definitely” transferring to IL, as of 5 days ago, TIFWIW...all I know

Pretty, pretty please!

I don't buy into the "it'll change our recruiting dynamic," but he'd big a big upgrade to our TE position, no doubt.

#2,710      

Deleted member 649710

D
I hope the news is true.
I doubt that it is.
We'll see.

#2,712      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to know if that local coach actually heard it from someone who would know, or it was just conjecture. I'm guessing more of the latter, but hoping for the former.

#2,713      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
They're still 1 year contracts. The guarantee is just that you will have 4 years of scholarship. You can still lose your athletic scholarship and get moved to an equivalent non-athletic one. That is what usually happened when someone got hurt and had to "retire", now it is just guaranteed.

I've only heard of this happening for catastrophic injury, not for performance.

#2,714      

Deleted member 649710

D
Does anyone know which uncommitted 2019 players will be visiting this weekend?

#2,717      

Deleted member 654622

D
Does anyone know which uncommitted 2019 players will be visiting this weekend?
Shammond will be there. His mom tweeted a pic of her feeding 5 IL coaches in her house yesterday.
A lot of committed players will be there also, Isaiah Williams, Seth Coleman and Corey Washington. That is who I have heard

#2,719      

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL

tenor.gif

#2,721      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Remember when he committed and tweeted this https://twitter.com..

In case the link doesn’t work, he committed to us and said “not going anywhere”. Hopefully he doesn’t. I don’t mind that kids have the right to change their mind, I just wish they weren’t so absolute about their commitments if they aren’t actually 100% sure. (Sort of like Beason and Williams have been it seems) I wonder if there is more to this than simply him changing his mind and being willing to go back on the commitment. (Like the coaches ignoring him or recruiting over him or something)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2,722      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I'm sure he was not happy about Shane Beamer leaving right after he signed. Must be a factor.

#2,723      

Deleted member 649710

D
C'mon, guys. Clark committed three weeks ago. That's, like, almost forever ago. So much can change in that time. Like, everything. :frustrated:

#2,724      
One thing I actually kind of admire about football recruiting is that it's out in the open. Basketball likes to pretend that once a kid is committed they're off limits but everyone not-so-secretly still backdoor talks to committed kids. Football is like the wild west, everyone is still fair game pretty much until classes start. Sucks to be the little sister school with the big brothers stealing your toys but at least we don't have to pretend it isn't happening.

#2,725      

Deleted member 746094

D
One thing I actually kind of admire about football recruiting is that it's out in the open. Basketball likes to pretend that once a kid is committed they're off limits but everyone not-so-secretly still backdoor talks to committed kids. Football is like the wild west, everyone is still fair game pretty much until classes start. Sucks to be the little sister school with the big brothers stealing your toys but at least we don't have to pretend it isn't happening.
Why even have the verbal commits anymore? Should just be open signing period year round and when a recruit decides to commit they must sign on the dotted line. I understand all the arguments for their future and it’s a tough decision. I was there once. I also get that these coaches change schools based on a multitude of reasons and a lot of these kids commit to the coach not the school. I don’t know. College football recruitment just seems like a circus anymore to me. It starts with the way programs offer “non-committables” and then they over sign. How do you expect the kids to be loyal and stand by their commitments when the adults won’t even be accountable to the process. It has gotten way out of hand and is teaching these kids horrible lessons on how the real world works.

Status
Not open for further replies.