Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,951      
I think any transfer should have to sit a year, no matter the reason. They have signed a contract basically and if they want to break that commitment, then they should have to sit. People in the working world sign employment contracts and there are negative consequences for breaking them. Just my two cents. Thinks like letting Mark Smith play shouldn't happen and it has nothing to do with him. He decided he didn't want to be at Illinois, which is fine, but like most every other transfer out there who decided they needed to be at a different school, he should have to sit.
I get where you're coming from. I think the employment contract isn't the best analogy, but it's a good one to keep in mind. If this was the case, why don't coaches get penalized--they signed contacts, even more ironclad ones than players do, yet Lovie could go coach for Bama tomorrow if they offered him and he chose to. Like I said I don't have an answer that makes me completely happy, but there are plenty of reasons to allow a kid to transfer without sitting a year.

Whether it should be this way or not, kids commit to a coach and a school, some more towards one than the other. Can't blame kids for this, nor can you blame them for the firing of the coach. That's major upheaval in a kids life, considering how much time they put into their sport. Similarly, a sick/dying family member who has years or less left and lives across the country from where the kids attending college is the exact reason hardship waivers should and do exist. Forcing kids who can't even drink yet to essentially choose between school/sports and a loved one is messed up in many ways.

#2,952      
I just don't believe Ford will transfer here. Unless he is super homesick, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

To the contrary, when kids are in high school the prestige of playing for a national title competitor is sexy. However, the opportunity is limited and fierce. For people that want to play and be a focal point of an offense, a school like Illinois offers better opportunity. Won’t compete for a title, but get several years where you are a homegrown star and get several years to grow and show brilliance’s on the field. Although Illinois may not be a first choice, the opportunity is much better for playing time and potentially even nfl ambitions

#2,953      
I think any transfer should have to sit a year, no matter the reason. They have signed a contract basically and if they want to break that commitment, then they should have to sit. People in the working world sign employment contracts and there are negative consequences for breaking them. Just my two cents. Thinks like letting Mark Smith play shouldn't happen and it has nothing to do with him. He decided he didn't want to be at Illinois, which is fine, but like most every other transfer out there who decided they needed to be at a different school, he should have to sit.

I would only agree if the school was forced to provide scholarships until graduation. Given that programs can let students go with no consequence, it should work the other way around as well.

#2,954      

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Gee - maybe Kirby will be leary about widening his recruiting focus to the North in the future if Luke does transfer away....

#2,955      
I have zero issues with your prediction or lock. It won't upset me one way or the other where the recruit ends up. I want everyone the coaching staff recruits to end up in Orange and Blue, but at the end of the day, I go home to 3 healthy kids, the decision of an 18-year-old and your prediction won't upset me. My post to you was a joke in reference to the many posters on here who have been run off the board because they shared info that didn't end up coming through. I hope you are right. And the ban is overrated if you ask me.

No worries! (y) I-L-L!

#2,956      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don’t put any weight in transfer rumors until it is officially announced.

The immediate eligibility waiver becomes a huge factor with two possible transfers. If you could say with any certainty Thomas and Ford would be eligible next year then I think Lovie and Rod have a pretty compelling story to tell Tate to get him to come here for his final season.

QB- Tate
RB- Corbin, Epstein, Brown
WR- Thomas, I Washington (slot/wildcat), Smalling, Green and Carter(off injury)
TE- Ford
OL will be solid and experienced.

I know this is ridiculous hypothetical, but this would be dangerous personel in Rod’s scheme.

Okay, back to reality.

Schwing!

#2,957      

Deleted member 746094

D
Who is "I Washington"? Assuming you meant I Williams or Casey Washington but not sure the latter is going to be ready right away. I would actually see Beason or Cumby as more likely to fill in in a WR role if needed.

Thank you! My apologies as I hate jacking up our top recruits’ names as fans.

Yes, I Williams. I forgot about Cumby! Can’t teach speed and especially not that type of speed.

As I said, that post was essentially my midday dream of what life could be like someday.

#2,958      
I have mixed feelings on this. We lost starters on defense and possibly a bowl game because of the grad transfer rule. On the other hand, if you have been sitting and not playing, that is tough. But, when starters leave, that really hurts that program and I believe that cost us.

#2,960      

FT35

Naperville
FWIW...Cusumano said on the radio this morning that Coach Darren Sunkett told him Thomas is not going to mizery.....

If the waiver is going to be an issue then he's probably better off going to an FCS school. Putting up big numbers at an FCS school is going to help his draft stock more than just being on a team's practice squad for a year.

#2,961      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL

While i do like your analogy - when I worked for a CPA firm, I signed a "no compete" clause - so I was able to leave employment, if not to someone that was currently a client of mine. However, if I one of my clients were to offer me a job - i would have to be separated for a period of one year prior to accepting the position.

I think that there should be specific rules that would negate a sit out year - and you either meet those rules or you do not. There should be no grey area - and there certainly shouldn't be situations where favoritism is given because one coach/AD said it was ok (Mark Smith) - while another said "no" (Dru Smith - Evansville transfer sitting out this year at Missouri)

I would only agree if the school was forced to provide scholarships until graduation. Given that programs can let students go with no consequence, it should work the other way around as well.

I think scholarships are 4 year guarantees.

#2,962      
While i do like your analogy - when I worked for a CPA firm, I signed a "no compete" clause - so I was able to leave employment, if not to someone that was currently a client of mine. However, if I one of my clients were to offer me a job - i would have to be separated for a period of one year prior to accepting the position.

I think that there should be specific rules that would negate a sit out year - and you either meet those rules or you do not. There should be no grey area - and there certainly shouldn't be situations where favoritism is given because one coach/AD said it was ok (Mark Smith) - while another said "no" (Dru Smith - Evansville transfer sitting out this year at Missouri)

Most scholarships are non-guaranteed. They are one-year agreements that must be renewed each year. When Northwestern Athletes were unionizing, this was one of their demands.

#2,963      

Deleted member 746094

D

The main problem with the NCAA is they don’t like “specific rules”. It doesn’t allow them to govern subjectively and gives them the freedom to remain incompetent without consequences to the institutions they oversee.

#2,964      

Deleted member 654622

D
tell you guys right now. IW, Beason and Cooper (if he comes) are on the field first game. they've been told they will play and they will. Even if they're not the best choice promises have been made or they probably would have gone elsewhere.
I'll pass on the 190lb Middle Linebacker starting day 1

#2,965      
I'll pass on the 190lb Middle Linebacker starting day 1

Concur, not the best for a young player to get beaten up. Needs 15-20 lbs, probably can add 10 lbs first year. MLB is taking direct hits from some mighty RBs. Saw some of our safeties "miss" tackles when going head to head with an RB.

#2,966      

FT35

Naperville
Concur, not the best for a young player to get beaten up. Needs 15-20 lbs, probably can add 10 lbs first year. MLB is taking direct hits from some mighty RBs. Saw some of our safeties "miss" tackles when going head to head with an RB.

If there are promises of playing time being made to Cooper then my guess is that most of it will be on Special Teams.

I have no idea if similar promises were made to Khalan Tolson when we recruited him but that's where he got almost all of his playing time this past year.

#2,967      

Deleted member 654622

D
If there are promises of playing time being made to Cooper then my guess is that most of it will be on Special Teams.
I have no idea if similar promises were made to Khalan Tolson when we recruited him but that's where he got almost all of his playing time this past year.
I know that ticked his dad off that he only played special teams. I personally think he is a well put together dude at a very young age. I can see with his body type, being the Lance Briggs on this defense. Sure tackler, more of a run stopper, defense funnels runners toward type of a player.

#2,970      

Deleted member 649710

D
Cause for concern?
1C6C37AE-E4A6-4000-A1F6-43EE84644548.png
1C6C37AE-E4A6-4000-A1F6-43EE84644548.png

#2,971      
Cumby and Coleman both visited other schools this week. I still have a good feeling on Coleman but I’m waiting for an announcement from Cumby that he will not sign in the Early Signing Period. Just don’t have a good feeling about him.

#2,973      
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ntees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes

I thought this was a new thing - maybe just in the Big Ten - but I thought they were guaranteed now?

Yes, this is not the case in the ncaa. Also, every scholarship is not guaranteed, the big 10 has given schools the option to offer multi year deals. Michigan state had 35 multi year contracts. This is like offering a competitive advantage, it doesn’t protect athletes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...jor-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships/amp/

#2,974      

Deleted member 654622

D
For crying out loud. If another one decommitts that will freaking suck.
Yes it does. But it also means the coaching staff is doing a good job with their early evaluations.
Werner keeps saying Seth Coleman is going to get a 4th star when the rankings adjust. Let's be glad it's just Utah after him

#2,975      
Has there been any thought about Cooper playing OLB?? Certainly light to be a MLB right now but I think light, athletic linebackers are going to be more and more common in the next few years. The days of blowing up Iso are numbered at the linebacker position. Big linebackers are the reason Tarik Cohen and Rondale Moore are nightmares to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.