Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Lots of Miami transfers, decommitts, crazy. Still Can’t believe Jakai switched commitments with the unrest. Maybe Miami name drew him in....might have worked out for both parties in the end?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I don't need to see anything else after that. When that clip came up I thought no way he chases down the WR from the line. Ran him down quick too.

He is very disruptive and FAST. The biggest things that have been missing from this team for the past few years, are talent at every position, but mostly speed. And speed ultimately differentiates teams across the NCAA. A healthy team next year, gives us competitive players on both sides of the ball. The speed we are bringing in will give us explosiveness and playmaking. This current class, will be able to make stops on 3rd down on defense. Will be able to get the yardage on 3rd down on offense. This roster can take the ball away and score from multiple positions.

I would love Zeriah, but I imagine that he will at least wait until Marquez gets to campus.
There is a lot of trust from the Beason's towards the Illinois staff. Also forgot a former Michigan commit is a 2020 recruit not a 2019 recruit as well.

I think at this point our top three targets should be as Shammond Cooper, Isaiah Hookfin, and RaJae Johnson. They fit our three biggest needs left in this class. A Four Star linebacker who has a chance to compete for immediate playing time, a four star offensive tackle that can learn for 1-2 years in the system before replacing one of the veterans, and a wide receiver who can play immediately.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
I think at this point our top three targets should be as Shammond Cooper, Isaiah Hookfin, and RaJae Johnson. They fit our three biggest needs left in this class. A Four Star linebacker who has a chance to compete for immediate playing time, a four star offensive tackle that can learn for 1-2 years in the system before replacing one of the veterans, and a wide receiver who can play immediately.

Would anyone like to post the chances of landing each of these three???

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

+1 We'll see about Hookfin and Johnson. If Thomas wants in and qualifies, we're obviously taking him. Same with Luke Ford. O Line needs stocking, but Boyd is back and Pearl will likely be moved to O.

Totally agree, and I think we have a good shot to get all three. If get them our 2019 247 average ranking is .8740 which is a top 40/top 35 class, then if we can get some of our transfer prospects this class will be a success.

P.S. From what I recall of the 2008 class, everyone made it to campus, and the majority played out their eligibility, but 3 or 4 pretty highly regarded kids transferred fairly early in their careers after not getting much playing time as freshman or sophs (Cordale Scott, Hubie Graham, Reggie Ellis, maybe a couple more).

I'll doubt that I'll ever really understand how the Illini managed to go just 3-9 in 2009 despite being led by a senior QB and 16 guys on the roster who eventually would play on Sundays.

The number one thing I have noticed, after having been on the staff there during the Zook years, is how the quality of coaches was not very good. Now, one could argue that those same coaches led the Illini to a Rose Bowl, which is true for almost that entire staff in 2009. But look at where some of those coaches are now:

1) Jim Pry--offensive coordinator at Bethune-Cookman
2) Kurt Beathard--offensive coordinator at Illinois State
3) Dan Disch--head coach for a German football team
4) Mike Schultz--head coach at Lamar University
5) Reggie Mitchell--running backs at UTEP (Bottom 10 dweller the entire year)
6) Mike Woodford--special teams at Akron

While this is just a portion of the staff, this shows that many of these coaches may not have been cut out for Power 5 jobs (or it could also indicate a lack of connections to coaches at that level). Some of them were also not strong recruiters. However, it all falls back to the fact that Ron Zook was not cut out to be the head coach of a Power 5 football team.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Guessing it's a long shot but AJ Henning would be a new high-water mark for ranked recruits in Illinois AND fill a huge need at WR.

Deleted member 746094

D
Good info with rod smith regarding i. Williams from behrens
Either hyperbole for signing day and will battle for starting spot, or real thoughts and most likely to start day 1.

They are going to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win. This recruiting class is exciting, but the coaches know if they go out and win 2-4 games next year they are most likely gone. Williams will be on the field no matter what, but he will have to earn the starting QB job as Rivers won’t just let him come in and take it. Good problem to have as a program...finally!!!

Reports of OSU and FSU leading. OSU is in an interesting position, reports of Morrow also being willing to transfer back, Haskins perhaps staying another year, and Martell is capable too. Good problem to have I suppose. Must be weird to be a fan of an elite program.

No way Haskins is staying. The pros like him...size, nice arm.

I'd say he and Zeriah Beason are 1 and 1a with our receiver situation. Then a whole lot of Olinemen
Remember, the O line, we have 5 starters back for the next two years with Boyd coming back, and 2 of those 5, Boyd and Green are back for 3 years. But, yea, o linemen with be a priority for '20.

Remember, the O line, we have 5 starters back for the next two years with Boyd coming back, and 2 of those 5, Boyd and Green are back for 3 years. But, yea, o linemen with be a priority for '20.
Depth and experience, out of every positional group in college football, is probably most important along the o-line. Theres a lot of pure technique that you need as an o-lineman, having strength or speed alone isn't going to cut it, and very few freshman can come in an perform at B1G level.

Continuing to restock linemen is crucial. Having upperclassmen on the line helps every other offensive position. Now, we have a great start to an experienced line, and depth is improving, but we will always need more guys. I'd still like to see another lineman or two this year.

Deleted member 645583

D
Just saw something that popped up on my tablet: Matt Judd signed on as a PWO. True? Source was 247.

Deleted member 649710

D
PWO is guaranteed a spot on 105 man roster, and fully participates in training camp, among other things. As I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.