Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
Writer in Tampa Bay paper who covers FSU says Fields will head to either tOSU or Sooners. His biggest concern is with the O-line at FSU. No reason that shouldn’t favor us, especially after when he sees who signed today - not to mention knowing what Coach Rod brings to the table. But if that pipe dream doesn’t materialize, sure hope Tate works out!

Are we talking Justin Fields?

No harm in fantasizing, I suppose. But if there's such a thing as less than 0% chance of something happening, Fields to Illinois is it. There is absolutely no chance.

He is going to be one of the most hotly sought transfers in history. Will have offers to step in and start at elite programs right away.

Are we talking Justin Fields?

No harm in fantasizing, I suppose. But if there's such a thing as less than 0% chance of something happening, Fields to Illinois is it. There is absolutely no chance.

He is going to be one of the most hotly sought transfers in history. Will have offers to step in and start at elite programs right away.
Reports of OSU and FSU leading. OSU is in an interesting position, reports of Morrow also being willing to transfer back, Haskins perhaps staying another year, and Martell is capable too. Good problem to have I suppose. Must be weird to be a fan of an elite program.

Reports of OSU and FSU leading. OSU is in an interesting position, reports of Morrow also being willing to transfer back, Haskins perhaps staying another year, and Martell is capable too. Good problem to have I suppose. Must be weird to be a fan of an elite program.

I have heard FSU is out because of their O Line

With Cooper expected and Coleman likely to shoot up in the rankings we are looking at an average rating of .87+ on 247. That would rank us likely around 6th in the Big 10 this year but more importantly it would be our highest average ever. For reference our next best average was .856 in 2009.

The only thing keeping this from being an A+ class is the lack of O-lineman and receivers imo. It is a small class obviously but this class is another significant step in stabilizing this program at a higher level. A Luke Ford transfer would be another step.

The light is at the end of the tunnel and the winning must start next year. Sounds like there will be some grad transfer help to a quickly maturing roster. Next 3 years should be fun.

With Cooper expected and Coleman likely to shoot up in the rankings we are looking at an average rating of .87+ on 247. That would rank us likely around 6th in the Big 10 this year but more importantly it would be our highest average ever. For reference our next best average was .856 in 2009.

The only thing keeping this from being an A+ class is the lack of O-lineman and receivers imo. It is a small class obviously but this class is another significant step in stabilizing this program at a higher level. A Luke Ford transfer would be another step.

The light is at the end of the tunnel and the winning must start next year. Sounds like there will be some grad transfer help to a quickly maturing roster. Next 3 years should be fun.

Hoofkin is still in play. He pushed his signing back from today and AHS has visited him recently. He's a 4 star. In terms of WR, yes Casey Washington is our only one and I get he's not rated that high, but he has great Juno ball skills. And there is a chance that at least one of Cumby, Beason, Williams will end up at wideout. One has elite speed, one is very shifty/crafty, and re other explosive. Good traits for a WR.

Surprised we didn't land more WR, but Lovie is confident on other additions. Possibly a WR grad/juco.

Lovie mentioning Caleb Griffin as a kicker and "We'll be adding more, maybe sooner than later." really gets my hopes up for a L. Ford transfer.

FT35

Naperville
Hoofkin is still in play. He pushed his signing back from today and AHS has visited him recently. He's a 4 star. In terms of WR, yes Casey Washington is our only one and I get he's not rated that high, but he has great Juno ball skills. And there is a chance that at least one of Cumby, Beason, Williams will end up at wideout. One has elite speed, one is very shifty/crafty, and re other explosive. Good traits for a WR.

I do think we'll add at least one Graduate transfer at WR.

I wonder if some of the guys in our secondary could be flipped to WR? This has worked out okay for Trenard Davis.

Maybe Kendall Smith goes back to WR?

Dawson Degroot is behind a walkon right now so I don't see the downside to trying him at WR next year if he doesn't transfer.

Brown, Ware and Martin were solidly in the rotation last year so I don't think they are going to be moved.

Joseph was getting a lot of reps at NB but he was pretty banged up at times last year and was recruited as an Athlete so maybe he could be moved.

I'm not sure what to make of Hardge, Wyatt and Walker. Hardge played enough not to be Red Shirted but I don't remember him doing anything memorable when he played. If guys like Wyatt and Walker weren't getting reps in this Secondary last year then I'm not sure what future they have here.

Lovie mentioned Donny Navarro in the presser. He is a transfer from Valparaiso who went to the same High School as Dudek and had to sit out this year. I think he could get some reps next year.

We also need Sandy to step up and get in the rotation. C. Green needs to get out of the dog house and actually produce.

Deleted member 654622

D
After all the guff I take for being a Lovie supporter on here, today has been a good day. When Shammond announces on national television, it is going to make this class so much better.
It is nice to feel this way guys. Let's hope we can make it a trend eh!

After all the guff I take for being a Lovie supporter on here, today has been a good day. When Shammond announces on national television, it is going to make this class so much better.
It is nice to feel this way guys. Let's hope we can make it a trend eh!
I have been one of the big critics of Lovie. Haven’t totally changed my mind but this is a good recruiting class.

Deleted member 631370

D
I have been one of the big critics of Lovie. Haven’t totally changed my mind but this is a good recruiting class.

This is a good class in the sense that there are some potential difference makers in it.

A class of 20 quality 3* kids who are good -- but not great -- prospects is going to rank higher than our class. However, I'd rather have a slightly lower-ranked class with a few difference makers. Look at Moore at Purdue. Or KJ Hamler at Penn State. These aren't 5* kids who are future 1st round draft picks, but they're dynamic difference makers who make huge impacts on their team. They're not merely good, steady players. They're game changers. And that's what we need. Game changers.

Now, that's only part of the equation. The other part is depth and talent across the positions. And that's where this class falls short. To even hang with the big boys or hope to beat an Iowa or a Wisconsin or a Northwestern will require more depth and talent than what we have. But this is a start.

This isn't a great class. But it offers valid glimmer for hope.

Deleted member 654622

D
This is a good class in the sense that there are some potential difference makers in it.

A class of 20 quality 3* kids who are good -- but not great -- prospects is going to rank higher than our class. However, I'd rather have a slightly lower-ranked class with a few difference makers. Look at Moore at Purdue. Or KJ Hamler at Penn State. These aren't 5* kids who are future 1st round draft picks, but they're dynamic difference makers who make huge impacts on their team. They're not merely good, steady players. They're game changers. And that's what we need. Game changers.

Now, that's only part of the equation. The other part is depth and talent across the positions. And that's where this class falls short. To even hang with the big boys or hope to beat an Iowa or a Wisconsin or a Northwestern will require more depth and talent than what we have. But this is a start.

This isn't a great class. But it offers valid glimmer for hope.
Agreed with its a start. To quote the great Spice Adams "You cant climb a mountain if its smooth". 2 solid recruiting classes and now we add some real difference makers. It is a process.
But to say the greatest recruiting class, by average rankings, in Illinois history is not a great class is incorrect...IMO

Deleted member 631370

D
Agreed with its a start. To quote the great Spice Adams "You cant climb a mountain if its smooth". 2 solid recruiting classes and now we add some real difference makers. It is a process.
But to say the greatest recruiting class, by average rankings, in Illinois history is not a great class is incorrect...IMO

I don't know about that last part......we are going to add more kids, and with the exception of Shammond Cooper, most other additions will bring that average down. More than likely, we finish with an average rating at around .860. Probably good enough for 8th or so in the Big Ten.

The 2007 class was a truly great recruiting class for Illinois standards. And a darn good class by any standards. 247 shows it with a lower average rating, but there's not a soul on earth who would take this class over a 2007 class with Regus Benn, Martez Wilson, Josh Brent, etc. That class was #22 in the nation. The following class was also #22 in the nation and featured Liuget, Pocic, Leshoure, Mercilus, etc. Those are great classes -- the kinds of classes that get a program like Illinois back into the conversation. Not only because they had star power, but because they had depth and talent all over the field -- at the skill positions, on the D and O lines, in the secondary, etc.

Stack a few classes like that together, and that's how you win. Amazing that Zook won as few games as he did after stacking the 2006, 2007, and 2008 classes together.

We're a ways away from that kind of recruiting, but one would hope that our coaching is in a better position than what it was in 2008.

I don't know about that last part......we are going to add more kids, and with the exception of Shammond Cooper, most other additions will bring that average down. More than likely, we finish with an average rating at around .860. Probably good enough for 8th or so in the Big Ten.

The 2007 class was a truly great recruiting class for Illinois standards. And a darn good class by any standards. 247 shows it with a lower average rating, but there's not a soul on earth who would take this class over a 2007 class with Regus Benn, Martez Wilson, Josh Brent, etc. That class was #22 in the nation. The following class was also #22 in the nation and featured Liuget, Pocic, Leshoure, Mercilus, etc. Those are great classes -- the kinds of classes that get a program like Illinois back into the conversation. Not only because they had star power, but because they had depth and talent all over the field -- at the skill positions, on the D and O lines, in the secondary, etc.

Stack a few classes like that together, and that's how you win. Amazing that Zook won as few games as he did after stacking the 2006, 2007, and 2008 classes together.

We're a ways away from that kind of recruiting, but one would hope that our coaching is in a better position than what it was in 2008.

This class was never going to be a depth class because the open scholies weren't there. I agree the O line, Line backer and receiver could have each used another commit but this class by the average ranking will be historical.

Coleman will see a significant boost and outside of possibly an Oline signing the remaining openings will go to transfers.

The 2007 recruiting class was beset by guys washing out or not making it to campus at all. There was star power but that class provided little stability because of the attrition which was a staple of Zook classes.

Deleted member 654622

D

I'm not debating the comparison of those classes. I agree the combo of Benn and Martez is quite untouchable. However, the facts are the facts. This is currently the greatest recruiting class, by average, in its history. So I am not going to downgrade that whatsoever.
I also believe they are trying to add at least 4 transfers, and those do not go into the rankings. So when we add Shammond, who is .902 (or something close) he will offset that one other lower ranked kid we also get.

Why do people keep referencing a rise in rankings for Seth Coleman?
Coleman had a monster senior year and Jeremy Werner has mentioned multiple times on his show that 247 Sports will likely rank him significantly higher in their new rankings and probably add an extra start to his current 3 stars.

Deleted member 654622

D
Why do people keep referencing a rise in rankings for Seth Coleman?
he had a monster senior year, well above his current ranking. J Werner has mentioned in multiple times, he believes 247 will move him to a 4 star, top 600 player, when they do the rerankings

Deleted member 654622

D
Coleman had a monster senior year and Jeremy Werner has mentioned multiple times on his show that 247 Sports will likely rank him significantly higher in their new rankings and probably add an extra start to his current 3 stars.
1545272064221.png

Status
Not open for further replies.