Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep referencing a rise in rankings for Seth Coleman?

Seth Coleman was injures last year and his ranking was from last year. He was dominant this year and many people expect a 4* caliber player as the rankings adjust for this season

One of Lovies biggest downsides was that he didn’t have college experience (for the Better part of decades). When he came in, his first class was built fast. His second class also had top recruits off the board (in Illinois) by the time he joined the prior year. This is basically his first fullrecruiting year. If the superstars can make an impact, early, I like our chances for a lot of 2020 recruits

Deleted member 649710

D
The 2007 recruiting class was beset by guys washing out or not making it to campus at all. There was star power but that class provided little stability because of the attrition which was a staple of Zook classes.

Yep. Here's a good article detailing what happened with every kid in the class; of the 22 signed, 3 never got to campus, and another 6 either voluntarily left or were dismissed early in their careers for doing dumb things: http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...l/2012-01-30/class-07-where-are-they-now.html

FT35

Naperville
Why do people keep referencing a rise in rankings for Seth Coleman?

His 247 rating of 80 (low 3 Star) was given to him before the season started and is based on film from two years ago since he quit football in order to focus on basketball. I don't know if he'll be a 4 Star prospect or not (rating of 90 or higher) but his rating will go up based on his Senior film and his big Senior season in which he had 101 Tackles and 13 Sacks.

He started focusing on football again earlier this year and attended a number of camps. This is how he picked up a number of offers back in May and June. Hardy saw him at a Mercer camp which is what led us to offering him and getting him to visit this Summer. He then committed after visiting us since we were his only P5 offer at the time.

Here's an interview with him from back in May in which is discusses why he started playing football again:

https://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/...m-basketball-hiatus-to-seven-football-offers/

At the time of that interview he said he had offers from Florida Atlantic, Jacksonville, Bethune Cookman, Tennessee-Martin, Rhode Island, and Indiana State.

His 247 rating of 80 (low 3 Star) was given to him before the season started and is based on film from two years ago since he quit football in order to focus on basketball. I don't know if he'll be a 4 Star prospect or not (rating of 90 or higher) but his rating will go up based on his Senior film and his big Senior season in which he had 101 Tackles and 13 Sacks.

He started focusing on football again earlier this year and attended a number of camps. This is how he picked up a number of offers back in May and June. Hardy saw him at a Mercer camp which is what led us to offering him and getting him to visit this Summer. He then committed after visiting us since we were his only P5 offer at the time.

Here's an interview with him from back in May in which is discusses why he started playing football again:

https://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/...m-basketball-hiatus-to-seven-football-offers/

At the time of that interview he said he had offers from Florida Atlantic, Jacksonville, Bethune Cookman, Tennessee-Martin, Rhode Island, and Indiana State.

A good illustration of why he will rise in the rankings can be found at the :35 second mark of highlights. One of the more impressive highlights I've seen in a while.

https://fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8542

Deleted member 649710

D
Yep. Here's a good article detailing what happened with every kid in the class; of the 22 signed, 3 never got to campus, and another 6 either voluntarily left or were dismissed early in their careers for doing dumb things: http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...l/2012-01-30/class-07-where-are-they-now.html

P.S. From what I recall of the 2008 class, everyone made it to campus, and the majority played out their eligibility, but 3 or 4 pretty highly regarded kids transferred fairly early in their careers after not getting much playing time as freshman or sophs (Cordale Scott, Hubie Graham, Reggie Ellis, maybe a couple more).

I'll doubt that I'll ever really understand how the Illini managed to go just 3-9 in 2009 despite being led by a senior QB and 16 guys on the roster who eventually would play on Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. From what I recall of the 2008 class, everyone made it to campus, and the majority played out their eligibility, but 3 or 4 pretty highly regarded kids transferred fairly early in their careers after not getting much playing time as freshman or sophs (Cordale Scott, Hubie Graham, Reggie Ellis, maybe a couple more).

I'll doubt that I'll ever understand how the Illini managed to go 3-9 in 2009 despite all the future NFL talent on the roster.

If I recall Nate Palmer and Tyler Sands were a couple more, but that was a historically great class.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL

I'll doubt that I'll ever really understand how the Illini managed to go just 3-9 in 2009 despite being led by a senior QB and 16 guys on the roster who eventually would play on Sundays.
This is exactly why Ron Zook is on the Green Bay sidelines now.

But didn’t Loyalty conclude that Lovie can’t recruit? Oh wait, I forgot - he can’t coach.

I-L-L
Two years in a row appears they are hitting on certain targets where it appears heavy focus and effort were given.
One of Lovies biggest downsides was that he didn’t have college experience (for the Better part of decades). When he came in, his first class was built fast. His second class also had top recruits off the board (in Illinois) by the time he joined the prior year. This is basically his first fullrecruiting year. If the superstars can make an impact, early, I like our chances for a lot of 2020 recruits
i like seeing a lot of offers posted on twitter today. Couldn’t tell what year these recruits were. Even Werner mentioned he’s going to have to go back and review. Seems like a good strategy to keep it under the radar, others are occupied with NSD events.

IlliniSaluki

IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
I also saw a there was a preferred walk-on Matt Judd, a WR out of Linoln-Way East. Not sure do preferred walk-on's sign LOI's? Also were their any other preferred walk-on's announced today?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I also saw a there was a preferred walk-on Matt Judd, a WR out of Linoln-Way East. Not sure do preferred walk-on's sign LOI's? Also were their any other preferred walk-on's announced today?

PWOs don't sign LOIs. Only scholarship athletes sign LOIs.

I'd love to snag Nazareth's Love as a PWO, but that's probably a pipe dream.

I would love to see an early commit like Jalen St. John. Anyone aware of any info on an early 2020 commit?

Two years in a row appears they are hitting on certain targets where it appears heavy focus and effort were given.

i like seeing a lot of offers posted on twitter today. Couldn’t tell what year these recruits were. Even Werner mentioned he’s going to have to go back and review. Seems like a good strategy to keep it under the radar, others are occupied with NSD events.

The couple guys from Texas that reportedly got offers are 2020 class kids.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Typically, we lose recruits near signing day. A lot of programs do, but our rate over the past ~10 years has been high. Understandable, but frustrating. Yet another sign of our woeful station. This year is a significant improvement on that front. Sure, we lost out on some kids. But the poaching incidence has markedly decreased. The kids we're targeting now have P5 options and they're sticking with us (for the most part). Very good signs. We're moving up the food chain.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I don't know about that last part......we are going to add more kids, and with the exception of Shammond Cooper, most other additions will bring that average down. More than likely, we finish with an average rating at around .860. Probably good enough for 8th or so in the Big Ten.

The 2007 class was a truly great recruiting class for Illinois standards. And a darn good class by any standards. 247 shows it with a lower average rating, but there's not a soul on earth who would take this class over a 2007 class with Regus Benn, Martez Wilson, Josh Brent, etc. That class was #22 in the nation. The following class was also #22 in the nation and featured Liuget, Pocic, Leshoure, Mercilus, etc. Those are great classes -- the kinds of classes that get a program like Illinois back into the conversation. Not only because they had star power, but because they had depth and talent all over the field -- at the skill positions, on the D and O lines, in the secondary, etc.

Stack a few classes like that together, and that's how you win. Amazing that Zook won as few games as he did after stacking the 2006, 2007, and 2008 classes together.

We're a ways away from that kind of recruiting, but one would hope that our coaching is in a better position than what it was in 2008.

I think you have the benefit of hindsight here - let these kids play their four years and then make a determination.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
I agree. Wide receiver, o-line and I would add linebacker depth as critical needs.

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Typically, we lose recruits near signing day. A lot of programs do, but our rate over the past ~10 years has been high. Understandable, but frustrating. Yet another sign of our woeful station. This year is a significant improvement on that front. Sure, we lost out on some kids. But the poaching incidence has markedly decreased. The kids we're targeting now have P5 options and they're sticking with us (for the most part). Very good signs. We're moving up the food chain.

We're sneaking into the power 5!

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Santa Lovie.png

Status
Not open for further replies.