Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I wish there was somewhere I could bet against these waivers.

Regardless, I think their impact is a little overstated in terms of next year's chances. Especially Ford.
Agree on Ford, but I think Jeff Thomas would increase our chances tremendously.

Thomas would really help at a position of need. Ford is pretty raw and probably a way's away from being a complete player. But regardless, it's just two guys.

Maybe I'm just projecting, but one gets a whiff of "well we didn't get the waivers so it's okay to be 3-9 next year and then wait until 2020 when Ford and Thomas are eligible". Those guys aren't the difference between being terrible again and being good, not by themselves.

The key switch we're flipping next year is not untalented to talented, it's inexperienced to experienced.

If we look like discombobulated hot garbage again next year, the Lovie era is over whether we want to admit it to ourselves or not.

100% agree. Not getting waivers will be no excuse. If we are getting beat by a thousand again next season time to end it

Deleted member 746094

D
All of this is dependent on Thomas/Ford getting a waiver of course and then IW or Rivers being able to get the ball down the field accurately and on time.

Now that being said, lets talk X’s/O’s. From my perspective we literally had NO deep threat last year, nor a TE that could run down the seams passed LB’s and S with physical advantages. And our running game was still very very good. Thomas is a threat to take the top off every play. EVERY play. So that demands help from a Safety keeping the defense from adding an extra guy to the box to stop the run. There are very few CB’s in college that can run with WR’s of Thomas’ skill set. It’s why they get drafted so high in the NFL. He will almost always account for 1.5 to 2 defenders if we have someone that can put the ball out there far enough.

Ford is 6’5+ and 250lbs. 4.5 guy in the 40yd dash. In play action and trips sets he is a nightmare for a ILB/OLB/stand up DE to run with. There is a reason Georgia recruited him out of high school and all but begged him to stay.

Two skill players like Thomas and Ford can greatly impact an offense in so many ways. They add stress to the back end of a defense that not every WR/TE can. They open up what was already a pretty dynamic offense in the run game to having legit down the field threats.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Watching Shammonds highlight video I think he will see lots of situational downs. He looks great at playing passing lanes in zone and doesn't over commit to a player running thru his zone. He is a very smart player and I think he will get plenty of PT regardless of size. Cant keep those instincts off the field. Even if he doesn't start itll be nice to have a player like him to step in while Hansen and Eifler get a breather. Dont count out Tolson either. A year in the weight room can do wonders for a freshman linebacker and he seemed hungry for playing time. Great problems to have.

Former Oklahoma and Bishop Dunne WR AD Miller @admiller_12 is headed to Illinois as a grad transfer.

Welcome to the FAM, A.D.

https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/

WOW. Big things are happening, WR getting 2 major upgrades in Thomas and Miller. Couple that with some of the exciting young players we have, and also now giving Smalling easier opposing coverage - we are on to something!!

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Officially feeling good about the WR position.

(In no order) Thomas - Miller - Stampley - Carter - Davis - Smalling - Holmes - Sandy - Reams - Navarro seems like a solid position group. Not a lot of ceiling besides Thomas, but it's a group that can handle a few injuries and still have players I trust.

Former Oklahoma and Bishop Dunne WR AD Miller @admiller_12 is headed to Illinois as a grad transfer.

Welcome to the FAM, A.D.

https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/
ren-and-stimpy-gif-16.gif

Officially feeling good about the WR position.

(In no order) Thomas - Miller - Stampley - Carter - Davis - Smalling - Holmes - Sandy - Reams - Navarro seems like a solid position group. Not a lot of ceiling besides Thomas, but it's a group that can handle a few injuries and still have players I trust.
I mean, Smallings gotta have more to give right? His FR year oozed potential.

Semi related, does the peanut gallery know if a grad transfer that gets hurt can medical RS and play the next year? Mainly asking because of Meadors.

Status
Not open for further replies.