Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
If all he is getting is 10 snaps a game, I would prefer they only do that for 4 games and keep his redshirt. Now if he getting more snaps at other positions along with 10 snaps a game at QB, then that changes things.

My prediction is more that he'll get 10 snaps/game at QB.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
it wouldn't surprise me if they are both in the backfield at the same time on some downs -- making it anyone's guess as to who gets the snap and if they then run or pass to the other or pass to a WR.

Before Thomas, Ford, etc. I would've been the first to tell you I don't want Lovie sticking around if he cant make a bowl next year. Now, I see 4 or 5 wins as the floor. The recruiting has taken a noticeable step in the right direction, given the lack of talent here, I think he deserves to show it's his schemes that dont work, rather than the lack of players.

Of course, he's gotta keep this momentum up. Continuing to get guys in the top 500, and more than just one or two a year, will be crucial. You can build a program out of low 3 stars, but eventually the talent deficiency shows up.

Northwestern, this year, would disagree.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Some comparisons between the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes. Understand that these numbers are going to be skewed by the top-rated players (i.e., Avery + Beason), but still an interesting comparison.

2018 Recruiting Class

Total Offers Reported/Power 5 Offers Reported
208 Total Offers/90 Power 5 Offers
43% of all offers from P5 schools

Percentage of Recruits with no P5 Offers (besides Illinois)
44% (n=12)

Percentage of Recruits with 5 or >5 Total Offers (besides Illinois)
48% (n=13)

2019 Recruiting Class

231 Total Offers/146 Power 5 Offers (from only 12 recruits)
63% of all offers from P5 schools

17% (n=2)

8% (n=1)

What if we live in a world where Lovie doesn't need to win 6 next year? Because I don't think that's the case. I think less than 6 wins would definitely be a disappointment, but Whitman has too much invested (not just monetarily) and too much on the line to can Lovie even after next year. All of the recruits that just signed did so to play for Lovie. Again, let it play out. Refer back to my post about Bob Stoops at Kentucky. Lovie's first recruiting class won't be seniors next year. I personally think Whitman gives him until then.

*As long as the team improves this year.

Am I the only one who thinks IW wins the starting spot and it isn't even close? MJ did great but he was the 947th ranked recruit. IW spent some time as a 5 star and is the 109th overall recruit.

There is playbook knowledge. IW would be working on a shortened playbook, which is not ideal. We will likely develop plays for IW to run and play him right away (think Cordell Stewart his first year as a Steeler). Then I think as he learns more, he will likely move into the rotation more. I doubt he will be given the keys on day 1. I am ok being wrong.

Deleted member 654622

D
It's not just rebuilding, it's not a dumpster fire they inherited, it's not a roster of worthless players they had to get rid of, Lovie Smith and Brad Underwood have TO THIS POINT been absolute titanic, unmitigated failures. They've put some of the very worst teams out there that this University has ever seen, miles and miles and miles below any reasonable expectation based on the admittedly pedestrian situations they inherited.
And by doing so, both coaches have brought in better talent than we have had in the past 10 years....

If all he is getting is 10 snaps a game, I would prefer they only do that for 4 games and keep his redshirt. Now if he getting more snaps at other positions along with 10 snaps a game at QB, then that changes things.

I can't imagine we can afford for him to redshirt. We need his playmaking abililty from day 1. I think 10 snaps a game seems about right, but I think he will earn more time as the season progresses.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Some comparisons between the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes. Understand that these numbers are going to be skewed by the top-rated players (i.e., Avery + Beason), but still an interesting comparison.

2018 Recruiting Class

44% (n=12)

48% (n=13)

2019 Recruiting Class

17% (n=2)

8% (n=1)

Very nice breakdown. We're moving up the food chain, recruiting wise. No squinting required.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Isaiah Williams coming in and blowing out the competition would be an incredible sign. Good sign? This Rod Smith offense is built for someone like him. Bad sign? 247 says his HS senior year completion percentage was 50.4%. Looking at a smattering of past Illinois QBs (Lunt, Juice, Rivers), first-year starting QBs have an average drop of 10% completion rate from HS senior year to college freshman year, putting Isaiah on track for a 40% completion percentage for year one. MJ had a fairly solid first year and I would be excited about him taking the leap forward, say, 60% completion percentage - 14 TDs - 6 INTs. Sprinkle in 10 snaps a game for IW that are primarily running plays with some interesting play-action opportunities? Sign me up.
In his defense in IWs three years as starting QB he threw 57.6%, 61.5%, and then 51.9%. I guess we will see which numbers show up. Lunt threw 67.9% then 74.2% and threw 61.8% at OSU and then 63.5%, 56.1% and 54.7% at Illinois. Rivers threw 63.5% and 65.1% then threw 55.4% last year. Bush threw 53.7% in high school his only year listed and no joke 53.7% last year for Illinois.

Last edited:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
And by doing so, both coaches have brought in better talent than we have had in the past 10 years....

Not even close in Lovie's case, those late Zook teams were loaded. Maybe in the last 6-7 years. Let's see what he's able to actually get on the field. But I certainly agree that we'll have enough to win next year, waivers or not. Those who are convinced this is the greatest collection of talent assembled at Illinois in a decade are the same ones totally content to keep losing. Instructive.

We'll see with Underwood. This year's team has one of the weakest rosters in memory, but there's obviously one big change coming and possibly more. We've got a strong recruiting staff who have won some big recruitments, I'm hopeful we're gonna look at lot better on paper in a year's time.

Not even close in Lovie's case, those late Zook teams were loaded. Maybe in the last 6-7 years. Let's see what he's able to actually get on the field. But I certainly agree that we'll have enough to win next year, waivers or not. Those who are convinced this is the greatest collection of talent assembled at Illinois in a decade are the same ones totally content to keep losing. Instructive.

We'll see with Underwood. This year's team has one of the weakest rosters in memory, but there's obviously one big change coming and possibly more. We've got a strong recruiting staff who have won some big recruitments, I'm hopeful we're gonna look at lot better on paper in a year's time.
Zook's last couple classes were disasters - I want to say there were no players drafted out of his last 2 or 3 classes, which in a negative way is very difficult to accomplish. I think Zook's last good class was after the '08 season, so the 10 year reference is valid

In his defense in IWs three years as starting QB he threw 57.6%, 61.5%, and then 51.9%. I guess we will see which numbers show up. Lunt threw 67.9% then 74.2% and threw 61.8% at OSU and then 63.5%, 56.1% and 54.7% at Illinois. Rivers threw 63.5% and 65.1% then threw 55.4% last year. Bush threw 53.7% in high school his only year listed and no joke 53.7% last year for Illinois.
Regarding IW, think Antwaun Randle El. Not an NFL caliber QB necessarily, but a very dangerous college QB

it wouldn't surprise me if they are both in the backfield at the same time on some downs -- making it anyone's guess as to who gets the snap and if they then run or pass to the other or pass to a WR.
The RPO is so popular why not the RPRPO? Rivers either hands off the Williams or throws. Williams either hands off to Corbin or throws. Seems like a winning combination to me.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
The RPO is so popular why not the RPRPO? Rivers either hands off the Williams or throws. Williams either hands off to Corbin or throws. Seems like a winning combination to me.

So it is written, so it is done.

Deleted member 654622

D
Zook's last couple classes were disasters - I want to say there were no players drafted out of his last 2 or 3 classes, which in a negative way is very difficult to accomplish. I think Zook's last good class was after the '08 season, so the 10 year reference is valid

raw

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

2018 Recruiting Class

44% (n=12)

48% (n=13)

2019 Recruiting Class

17% (n=2)

8% (n=1)

That's interesting stuff, thanks!

My case for Lovie's recruiting would be the coaching aphorism that the hardest thing to find in recruiting is big guys that can move. If you watched the championship game last night, you should certainly understand where that's coming from, big guys that can move just change the physics of a football field.

The roster Lovie inherited had Dawaune Smoot and that was pretty much it in that category.

We've added a ton of big mobile athletes since. Kendrick Green, Oladipo, Palcho, Avery, Verdis Brown is a guy like that, Luke Ford certainly qualifies, Moses Okpala. Guys that will line up against Ohio State and look like they could be wearing either uniform.

Tim Beckman recruited some good football players, but he was looking for that, rather than monsters he could mold. A high floor, low ceiling approach. Lovie has brought in some beasts.

It's true that Zook's last couple classes were bad, but those teams were loaded from the previous classes.

Still, per Rivals national rankings, our best two classes 2010-2019 were 2011 and 2015 under Zook and Beckman. 2013 under Beckman was also higher than any Lovie class thusfar.

Illinois has not lacked for good players in either sport in a long time. We've been utterly bereft of a culture that can develop and deploy and exploit that talent.

Deleted member 654622

D
Still, per Rivals national rankings, our best two classes 2010-2019 were 2011 and 2015 under Zook and Beckman. 2013 under Beckman was also higher than any Lovie class thusfar.

Illinois has not lacked for good players in either sport in a long time. We've been utterly bereft of a culture that can develop and deploy and exploit that talent.
Does that include the transfers? If not, that statistic is irrelevant to this particular topic

It's true that Zook's last couple classes were bad, but those teams were loaded from the previous classes.

It isn't a coincidence that since Zook left we were almost totally bereft of NFL quality players. Beckman's 2015 class is assisted by the size and there wasn't a ton of Big 10 quality players, which is typifies what Lovie inherited. Not a whole lot of talent

There was a post a couple pages ago about how we should not want to keep renting transfers vs internal roster development.
Well, look at Miznoz. Both football now with the transfer from Clemson (about whom Herbstreit commented he could not throw the deep ball), and basketball with the Porter family. Look where it got them.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Still, per Rivals national rankings, our best two classes 2010-2019 were 2011 and 2015 under Zook and Beckman. 2013 under Beckman was also higher than any Lovie class thus far.

I don't subscribe to Rivals - is this skewed by class size? I think on a "rank per player" basis - this current class has to be the best since Benn/Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.