Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,026      
I still believe this has FAR more to do with a waiver claim than it does Ray Estes.

In other news, per his Twitter, Jeff Woods signed with UConn. We still have 2 open roster spots, 3 pending a resolution to the Thomas situation.

#1,027      
I don't find it plausible that Estes was a prerequisite, because if he was was the Illini staff would have surely known this. Maybe it is a recent demand and I guess I would lean toward offering Estes because 2019 is so vital.

I'm guessing the Diaz hiring created a new opportunity that didn't exist before and JT is exploring it. I would to given his situation and the uncertainty surrounding waivers

#1,028      

Deleted member 633632

D
If what i'm reading is accurate why would the NCAA grant a waiver for Thomas to play next year. He wants to be closer to his son from what i understand, so what does Estes have to do with that. If there's any truth to this and i'm the NCAA i would wonder how bad he wants to be closer to his son.

It's really hard to question someone in this position who comes where Jeff comes from, has been thru what Jeff's been thru, and is trying to get to the NFL to be able to take care of his children & his family....

But yes the obvious first thing that comes to mind is why *wouldn't he want to be closer to his son 👀

#1,029      
Thomas chose to transfer here without Estes coming, so I can't see that being a big issue. I think with Richt retiring and Diaz pressuring him to stay, it's not so clear cut anymore and put him in a bind on what to do. Maybe if Estes were coming it would make it easier, a point for us, but idk.

#1,030      
It's really hard to question someone in this position who comes where Jeff comes from, has been thru what Jeff's been thru, and is trying to get to the NFL to be able to take care of his children & his family....

But yes the obvious first thing that comes to mind is why *wouldn't he want to be closer to his son 👀

First he has a daughter.
More info. He was told Estes would be his room mate as he expressed trust issues with the staff. At this point he feel that he was told whatever just to get him here. He (Jeff) stated from the beginning that he didn’t want to sit out a year and certain people assured him that going to Illinois will provide immediate eligibility.

Still haven’t found out why anyone would mention or include Estes when speaking with Jeff but they did. Obviously they didn’t do their homework as I am sure that wasn’t something he asked for knowing Jeff. He just found out midweek that Estes wouldn’t be his roommate which set this current stuff in motion.

On the back end some one from Miami has been reaching out since the day Manny got hired.

At this point it’s a matter of trust. Hopefully Lovie can clean all this up. The clock is ticking and there is no garauntee that Manny will take him back. No matter what, he will be at someone’s school next week.

I will also add, it wasn’t Lovie that included Estes. I am sure he is upset about being put in this situation. This could have been handled totally different.

#1,031      
No offense to anyone, but me personally, I'm picking my Son over any roommate.

#1,032      
No offense to anyone, but me personally, I'm picking my Son over any roommate.

If you’re a kid like Thomas, hard as it is, you’re picking football first (Which is why he signed with Miami to begin with).

The Estes thing is an annoyance or a complaint for him but make no mistake, this is about the waiver. If his waiver possibilities are low and his problem with Richt is now a non-issue, you sure as heck look into staying. I would.

#1,033      

Deleted member 654622

D
If you’re a kid like Thomas, hard as it is, you’re picking football first (Which is why he signed with Miami to begin with).

The Estes thing is an annoyance or a complaint for him but make no mistake, this is about the waiver. If his waiver possibilities are low and his problem with Richt is now a non-issue, you sure as heck look into staying. I would.
He has 1 more year of college football left regardless. Being in Miami isnt going to give him more of a spotlight over Illinois in today's media outlet. I agree with logjam. I'm picking my kid

#1,034      

Deleted member 746094

D
Title gave us pretty detailed insight as to what the situation is currently. If Lovie is a no BS type of guy, which I think he is then the decision is JT’s. Lovie will play with the guys he has on the roster and that are committed.

The Estes thing is concerning to me from the point of view of who is making promises on behalf of Lovie that doesn’t have the ability nor the authority to do so?

An angle that no one has mentioned is the possibility of Miami picking up Hurts. If Diaz is on board with JT coming back that is a huge selling point. Hurts instantly makes Miami a much better team.

#1,035      
He has 1 more year of college football left regardless. Being in Miami isnt going to give him more of a spotlight over Illinois in today's media outlet. I agree with logjam. I'm picking my kid

That’s not the issue. Thomas is a “Get to the NFL as quickly as possible kid”. You’re not getting there as quickly as possible by sitting out a year.

#1,036      
First he has a daughter.
More info. He was told Estes would be his room mate as he expressed trust issues with the staff. At this point he feel that he was told whatever just to get him here. He (Jeff) stated from the beginning that he didn’t want to sit out a year and certain people assured him that going to Illinois will provide immediate eligibility.

Still haven’t found out why anyone would mention or include Estes when speaking with Jeff but they did. Obviously they didn’t do their homework as I am sure that wasn’t something he asked for knowing Jeff. He just found out midweek that Estes wouldn’t be his roommate which set this current stuff in motion.

On the back end some one from Miami has been reaching out since the day Manny got hired.

At this point it’s a matter of trust. Hopefully Lovie can clean all this up. The clock is ticking and there is no garauntee that Manny will take him back. No matter what, he will be at someone’s school next week.

I will also add, it wasn’t Lovie that included Estes. I am sure he is upset about being put in this situation. This could have been handled totally different.

Thanks for the info. This is hard to hear as a fan. The coach that has, seemingly, put a commitment to his word above all else has coaches lacking integrity with players. This is not a good look. I’m hopeful things get sorted out. In leading hang endeavors, when organizations are unreliable for their word, ive never seen I work

#1,037      
Thanks for the info. This is hard to hear as a fan. The coach that has, seemingly, put a commitment to his word above all else has coaches lacking integrity with players. This is not a good look. I’m hopeful things get sorted out. In leading hang endeavors, when organizations are unreliable for their word, ive never seen I work

You have to remember this is one side of story. I don't doubt this is the version that Title got and I have no idea of its veracity. However it is just one side

#1,038      
Obviously, this could be a misunderstanding, but something has to get cleaned up for this program to have workability. Thomas’ side of the story will spread to these that want to believe it. If the mess doesn’t eat cleaned up, there could be serious reverberations.

#1,039      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
That’s not the issue. Thomas is a “Get to the NFL as quickly as possible kid”. You’re not getting there as quickly as possible by sitting out a year.

Spot on, IMO. Uncertainty about the waiver has Thomas wavering.

#1,040      
This Estes part doesn’t pass the smell test. I can’t see any way Lovie, or anyone on his staff, is making promises they don’t intend to keep, especially to as important and high profile a player as Thomas. I wonder if the Estes part was directly through Estes. Like a, “I’m going back to Illinois too. Let’s do this.” Maybe Thomas never even brought up the Estes stuff to the coaches and just assumed he’d be there.

#1,041      
Spot on, IMO. Uncertainty about the waiver has Thomas wavering.

To be clear from my understanding no one is uncertain about the waiver. Everyone involve pretty much believe it is a slam dunk.

My sources are some of the people actually involved. Estes was originally considering Illinois State when he asked to leave Minn. He is considering going back to QB.

This is why I made the statement why would anyone from Illinois involve Estes if you had no interest in him. If you not 100% on the kid leave him out of it. I believe the individual actually thought he was helping.

#1,042      
I have no information whatsoever, but to me this seems like someone’s in his ear telling him he probably won’t get a waiver, might get Hurts at Miami, and Diaz wants him back.

#1,043      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

If he truly wants to be closer to his daughter, I bet he could find a Juco nearby if the waiver doesn’t go through. Its not like he won’t be able to get to the NFL if he drops down a level for what would be his sit out year at Illinois.

If being at Miami and on a team much better than Illinois is the priority, he should stay. Especially now that the situation has changed.

Whether he plays here, there, or Juco is irrelevent. The only thing keeping JT out of the draft next year is a football career ending injury. (Knock on wood that doesn’t happen) The guy is just too good.

The Estes thing just feels like a good “reason” to back out of Illinois without looking like a villain. He can say “they promised me this and didn’t deliver” and then our staff is left with the blame when, had Richt stayed, JT would transfer away regardless of Estes.

It’s all speculation and we only have one side like someone said. Let’s hope the best thing works out for all parties involved. (Including JT’s daughter who is far from her father right now)

#1,044      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Miami Herald article about the situation:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article224342755.html

Sounds like it could be up to Diaz whether he can return to Miami or not.

After reading this article, I kind of feel like... if you're only coming to Illinois because Miami won't take you back... I don't know if this is the kind of student athlete I necessarily want wearing the O&B? And I hate to say that because he'd be our BEST player on next season's team. I really wonder what changed his mind?

#1,046      
FWIW - he is NOT listed on the Miami Hurricanes official roster on their athletics site
1517515449938.gif

#1,047      
After reading this article, I kind of feel like... if you're only coming to Illinois because Miami won't take you back... I don't know if this is the kind of student athlete I necessarily want wearing the O&B? And I hate to say that because he'd be our BEST player on next season's team. I really wonder what changed his mind?
He ain’t here to play school....do you want to win?

#1,048      

Deleted member 654622

D
And what I am saying is, he is not going to sit out the year regardless. It has been reported that if he didn't get the waiver, he was just going to play down a level where he wouldn't be required to sit. He then would still go in the draft.

#1,050      
He ain’t here to play school....do you want to win?

I understand that this is about building a winning program. I not close to the situation and don't have the inside info you have. That said, color me skeptical when he professes the need to be closer to his daughter. That seems like a convenient ploy which bothers me as a father.

Status
Not open for further replies.