Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      
Oddly enough, Moore said last night that he's not signing until April 1st:

This may work out better for us as I've seen a lot of speculation that one or two guys could transfer out after Spring Practice.

There's obviously academic concerns here but if we have a couple of scholarships available and we're going to keep one open for Tate, it might be worth the risk to take Dominic Moore.

I would imagine the same applies to Rajae Johnson. There has to be a reason why bigger programs aren't pursuing these guys.

I would agree, all signs seem to point to RaJae either no qualifying or going right down to the wire.

#1,402      
I’m not upset at Jeff Thomas for sticking with Miami. I’m just upset how he told a Illinois reporter he was coming less then 24 hours ago just to nut punch us and make us look like a joke on Twitter. Perception is everything. And his classless coach adding fuel to fire just got my coals a little kindle this morning. Other then that we had a great offseason. With the grand finale bringing a great Defensive coordinator

#1,404      
I’m not upset at Jeff Thomas for sticking with Miami. I’m just upset how he told a Illinois reporter he was coming less then 24 hours ago just to nut punch us and make us look like a joke on Twitter. Perception is everything. And his classless coach adding fuel to fire just got my coals a little kindle this morning. Other then that we had a great offseason. With the grand finale bringing a great Defensive coordinator
I looked at Manny Diaz’s twitter and I still can’t find the classless thing he posted. Can anybody link it? I want to figure out if I should be up in arms with what he said! :rage:

I think a lot of people take Twitter a little too seriously.

#1,405      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Nothing more than a bump in the road. Our offseason to do list:

1) hire a standout DC
2) hire another stud recruiter as an assistant coach
3) add 2-4 (depends on attrition) prospects. We can and will be very selective.
4) land Tate
5) recruit the snot out of our 2020 targets
6) strengthen our bonds with powerhouse HS programs

A very doable list, IMO. Our football program is improving at a good clip. We are much further up the food chain. If the mo is matched by results (on the field), look out.

#1,407      

Deleted member 29907

D
I think a lot of people take Twitter a little too seriously.
I don't really care that we lost him - it seemed to be a strange courtship/communication all around on JT.

"Twitter" is not the issue - the issue is behavior. If that was really the coach's behavior, i would expect something more mature. Twitter, facebook, phone, TV, blogs, etc are all just vehicles of communication. Individuals need to consider what they are communicating in any form.

#1,408      
Don't take it personal. Once he had things sorted out with Miami, it becomes the low risk option for Jeff with the pending waiver needed to play at Illinois next year & the quicker/surer path to the NFL next year, add in last year's record for last year, and Illinois is still rebuilding...it is honestly what he should do if the team/coach issues are taken care of. It would have been a great opportunity & I would have loved to have him...plus who knows, he could start the whole process over after Miami and him have problems in spring practice. :)

#1,409      
Don't take it personal. Once he had things sorted out with Miami, it becomes the low risk option for Jeff with the pending waiver needed to play at Illinois next year & the quicker/surer path to the NFL next year, add in last year's record for last year, and Illinois is still rebuilding...it is honestly what he should do if the team/coach issues are taken care of. It would have been a great opportunity & I would have loved to have him...plus who knows, he could start the whole process over after Miami and him have problems in spring practice. :)

Exactly. JT and many others are in a tough spot where football success is viewed as their only successful pathway to making a life for themselves and family.

#1,410      

Deleted member 746094

D

Yeah. Not terribly upset about this as just shows this coach is a douche. Ultimately it was JT’s decision and given the risk/reward of the waiver situation he probably made the best decision for him. It’s cliche, but now it’s time to turn our attention to the young men that want to be here. I am sure Lovie has already moved on as of yesterday.

#1,412      

Deleted member 645583

D
You are correct. Let's not take these recruiting things personally (except for Cliff Alexander being cute with the hats). And yes, the Thomas saga isn't over: he could still flip-flop any moment now. But I doubt it. Let there be an end to this story as far as Illini are concerned. I wish Jeff Thomas well. Illini fans: always take the high road. CLASS, baby!

#1,413      
It takes a lot - I mean, a LOT - for me to still find something to recoil at in the world of college sports (and football, specifically), but congratulations to Manny Diaz for reaching that rarified air.
yeah it was bad, but for me this is about what I expect from Miami from my days in South Florida, so not sure where the TNM theme is applicable, more of the same.

#1,414      
I really think it's unfair to blame this on Jeff Thomas. Miami refused to give a grade in one of his classes in attempt to hold him hostage to the program. Very classless move by a stingy coach that is not looking out for the best interest of JT who wanted to come closer to home for his young child.

#1,418      
Call me crazy or clueless but I am more excited about getting Edwin Carter back than disappointed in losing Jeff Thomas.

Carter is the type of player we like and builds a program, but Thomas is the type of player that gives a significant boost for the short time he is available.

#1,419      
It takes a lot - I mean, a LOT - for me to still find something to recoil at in the world of college sports (and football, specifically), but congratulations to Manny Diaz for reaching that rarified air.

He needs to remember that he coached the worst defense in Texas history and got a pink slip for it. Not too sure he will be able to cut it down there, especially with Richt feeling the heat even with a decent record.

#1,420      

Deleted member 645583

D
I really think it's unfair to blame this on Jeff Thomas. Miami refused to give a grade in one of his classes in attempt to hold him hostage to the program. Very classless move by a stingy coach that is not looking out for the best interest of JT who wanted to come closer to home for his young child.
How do you know this?

#1,421      

Woah, I haven't heard that before. That would be VERY bad if true.

#1,425      

Deleted member 645583

D
I'm a current student and speak w/ players on the team frequently.

Thanks. Any truth to the rumor that Miami players didn't want him back? You're the source, pal. I want an end to this story, but I'm having a hard time killing it.

Furthermore, what any Hurricane tells you is hearsay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.