Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,526      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Great news on Cooper. Still confused on how Illinois wasn't bigger players with Henry. From looking at the schools he's most interested in, might just want to get far away from home.

#1,527      
Great news on Cooper. Still confused on how Illinois wasn't bigger players with Henry. From looking at the schools he's most interested in, might just want to get far away from home.
Not so fast...the coopers aren’t thrilled with Illinois right now.

#1,534      

Deleted member 654622

D
You think he just decided not to go in the final minute...was talked out of going.
Well, I mean, what is the coaching staff supposed to do? "Ya sure, go enjoy the Florida weather. Let us know how you like it!" I have no inside info, but it seems like Lovie has always been the dude that pushes the kids to do all their visits before they commit. He committed, so they are fighting for him. (This isn't a rebuttal to you personally, just on the situation)

#1,535      
It’s no secret they didn’t want him to go. But the timing the of the discussion that the staff had with him upset the family and is adding a lot of stress to Shammond right now.

#1,540      

blackdog

Champaign
The family probably had the trip plan out had the flight pay for the hotel pay for and when illni change his mind the got mad because they spent a lot of money and it's not going on the trip

If it was an official visit everything is paid for by the school.

#1,541      
Haha....if he hasn’t signed, nobody can stop him from a visiting. Some of the stuff thrown out here is great

If you threaten to pull a kid's offer if he visits, that basically stops him from visiting. Michigan St pulled Alante Brown's offer today because he went on the FSU visit. Based on what Werner reported Lovie played hardball too.

Of course, it still likely works out and Shammond signs with IL. But I'm sure there are some hurt feelings right now

#1,542      

Deleted member 16068

D
If you threaten to pull a kid's offer if he visits, that basically stops him from visiting. Michigan St pulled Alante Brown's offer today because he went on the FSU visit. Based on what Werner reported Lovie played hardball too.

Of course, it still likely works out and Shammond signs with IL. But I'm sure there are some hurt feelings right now
Good for Lovie. At some point you are IN or OUT.

#1,544      

Again, if not 100% committed then don’t commit. Very simple. Lovie says dont committ unless 100%, so there’s that. But this was great.

#1,545      

Deleted member 16068

D
I appreciate this so much for Lovie or any other coach that does this. AT SOME POINT your IN or OUT. Otherwise....good luck to you

#1,546      

FT35

Naperville

If there are hurt feelings then Cory needs to step in and smooth things over. That's really part of the reason why he was hired here and he has a good relationship with that family.

I think this will all work out fine in the end. If Shammond doesn't visit somewhere else next week then I'm not sure what his options would be besides signing with Illinois?

If he's honest about his reasons for committing to Illinois then I would expect him to honor his commitment. He wants a family atmosphere, close proximity to his parents and a chance at early playing time. Illinois checks off all of the boxes.

We've been recruiting Shammond for 2 1/2 years, hired his former High School coach, have one of his teammates signed and have shown him that we not only want him but need him.

#1,547      

FT35

Naperville

What a wild recruitment that has been.

I heard we never offered Alante because he wanted to be a QB at Illinois as opposed to a WR. He did visit for our Junior Day last March.

He then committed to Miami (OH).

He ran a 4.42 40 at a Michigan State camp later in the Spring which is why they offered him. He was born in East Lansing so the commitment there was inevitable.

Then he didn't sign in December and is now apparently headed to FSU?

As far as Illinois threatening to pull the offer if Shammond visited FSU, that's kind of surprising. I know they had this stance with McCray but Coleman and Cumby took official visits after they committed.

#1,548      

Deleted member 633632

D
As far as Illinois threatening to pull the offer if Shammond visited FSU, that's kind of surprising. I know they had this stance with McCray but Coleman and Cumby took official visits after they committed.

Which tells you, not everything that's being spun out there on socail media may necessarily be accurate or factual. On the contrary, it may just be an attempt to generate sales for premium content and Twitter likes 🚫📱🚫😴🎶

Status
Not open for further replies.