Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,553      

FT35

Naperville
Jason Thompson is visiting it lit

Good. I believe Thompson and Henning have said they want to play together.

When was the last time we landed a kid from Chicago Marist? I know we went after TJ Ivy and Gabe McCabe a couple of years ago but they both ended up at Indiana.

#1,554      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah!!! (Beat on the Brat, Ramones)

And, yeah, I realize that this is quite a bit different than commitments, but this is exactly how you get them.

#1,555      

Deleted member 746094

D
Good for Lovie with Cooper. If the coaches and universities don’t start taking back some of the control in high major recruiting then there isn’t even a point in having verbal commitments because even at this point they mean very little. If these coaches start pulling offers from committed kids because they feel the need to take visits after the fact it may discourage kids from committing before they are ready. I am all for the recruits being allowed to go through the entire process and enjoying what is a very stressful and import decision in their lives. However, when they commit they should be held to that commitment.

It’s like accepting a job, but telling the employer that you are on board but they have to hold the position until you see if something better comes along. I am sure this occasionally happens in the candidates favor, but most often times there is a 24 to 48 hour window to make a decision and then the company moves on.

#1,556      
Good for Lovie with Cooper. If the coaches and universities don’t start taking back some of the control in high major recruiting then there isn’t even a point in having verbal commitments because even at this point they mean very little. If these coaches start pulling offers from committed kids because they feel the need to take visits after the fact it may discourage kids from committing before they are ready. I am all for the recruits being allowed to go through the entire process and enjoying what is a very stressful and import decision in their lives. However, when they commit they should be held to that commitment.

It’s like accepting a job, but telling the employer that you are on board but they have to hold the position until you see if something better comes along. I am sure this occasionally happens in the candidates favor, but most often times there is a 24 to 48 hour window to make a decision and then the company moves on.
You are making this rather one-sided. There are many times that a school will demand a recruit commit and later tell a kid that they can't honor their commitment.

#1,557      
You are making this rather one-sided. There are many times that a school will demand a recruit commit and later tell a kid that they can't honor their commitment.

Not to mention coaches can leave on a whim with no repercussions. Seems awfully one-sided in the favor of the adults making large sums of money.

#1,558      
It’s no secret they didn’t want him to go. But the timing the of the discussion that the staff had with him upset the family and is adding a lot of stress to Shammond right now.
My fear has always been that the staff will want to move him to Strong Safety which may not sit well with him or his family.

#1,564      

BZuppke

Plainfield
I wonder how involved JW is in football recruiting. Does anyone know? I’m sure he would be effective.

#1,565      
I wonder how involved JW is in football recruiting. Does anyone know? I’m sure he would be effective.

I’ve heard that he does an intro when groups come to campus and is brought in to work on high priority targets. But, I’m not inside the program.

#1,566      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Sure would feel better to get some crystal ball movement on some of these visited recruits. I know it's still early, but would have been a great sign.

#1,567      
JW is a lot more involved than most ADs. He spends a lot of time getting to know the recruits and families and helps sell them on the future of Illinois athletics. It’s actually is a pretty big benefit. I know ithelps set Illinois apart from a lot of other schools in the families eyes that the athletic director takes the time to get to know not just the recruit but family and etc.

#1,571      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Nick Starkel makes more sense for the offense they are trying to run there.
Bingo. Only strengthens the likelihood of Tate leaving.
And Tate makes perfect sense for the offense we're trying to run here. Those 2017 stats are eye-popping under Rod Smith - 1400 rushing yards and 12 TDs!

1548697073020.png

#1,572      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
And Tate makes perfect sense for the offense we're trying to run here. Those 2017 stats are eye-popping under Rod Smith - 1400 rushing yards and 12 TDs!

View attachment 4072

I was under the impression Tate regressed under Sumlin’s offense but it looks like he actually did pretty good.

He accounted for more total touchdowns (and less ints). Some of that may have simply been getting a year older and better, but it wasn’t what I was expecting when looking at his stats.

I guess he just really doesn’t like being a pocket passer.

#1,573      
I was under the impression Tate regressed under Sumlin’s offense but it looks like he actually did pretty good.

He accounted for more total touchdowns (and less ints). Some of that may have simply been getting a year older and better, but it wasn’t what I was expecting when looking at his stats.

I guess he just really doesn’t like being a pocket passer.
Which is great. I hate when running QB's decide its time to showcase their arm for the NFL and stop running. Takes away a giant thing to game plan for. Plus, it shows they do not have the NFL arm to begin with.

#1,575      

View attachment 4072

I believe he also had a bum ankle most of the season last year. He missed most of two games in the middle of the season, but I think he originally hurt the ankle in one of the first couple of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.