Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,632      

Deleted member 656517

D
Mizzou just got hit with recruiting sanctions and a post season ban. I wonder if we can get back in on Buford?

#1,633      

FT35

Naperville
Mizzou just got hit with recruiting sanctions and a post season ban. I wonder if we can get back in on Buford?

Are they allowing recruits to get out of their NLIs? This also assumes that Buford wants out and wants to come to Illinois which is a stretch. This is a one year ban and he is unlikely to play this Fall anyways.

I see that the NCAA is allowing Seniors to transfer without have to sit out:

#1,637      

FT35

Naperville
Seth Coleman was re-evaluated on 247 and ranked the 300th player in the class and given a 4th star (Up 2,292 spots).

Coleman is now ranked higher than Isaiah Williams and Shammond Cooper in the 247 rankings. Both Isaiah and Coleman have a rating of 90 but Coleman is ranked as the #300 player in the country while Isaiah is #310. Cooper has a rating of 88 and is ranked #524.

Isaiah was the 28th ranked player in the country in the composite rankings when he committed to us and now he is #116. They dropped his 247 rating back in July.

Cumby rose in the composite rankings a couple of weeks ago and now is in the Top 1000. This gives us 7 top 1000 players if Cooper signs with us next week.

Last edited:
#1,638      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Seth Coleman was re-evaluated on 247 and ranked the 300th player in the class and given a 4th star (Up 2,292 spots).
he might very well be worthy of that upward movement in the rankings, but what that tells me is the rankings have a HUGE subjective component . While there are legitimate 5* and high 4* players, there are just as many in both those 5* & 4* classes that don't belong there, when all is said and done.

#1,639      

FT35

Naperville
he might very well be worthy of that upward movement in the rankings, but what that tells me is the rankings have a HUGE subjective component . While there are legitimate 5* and high 4* players, there are just as many in both those 5* & 4* classes that don't belong there, when all is said and done.

There absolutely is a subjective bias to their ratings. In order to be rated as a 4 or 5 star by 247 sports, the players have to be on their radar. This usually means the kids have been on the camp circuit since they were Sophomores and/or have big time offers. There's just too many high school football players in the country for them to evaluate and rating film alone is problematic.

Coleman didn't play football in 2017. 247 sports evaluated his Sophomore year film and gave him a rating of 80 which is a low three star. They probably never even heard of him until he started getting D1 offers in May.

One problem I do have with their ratings is that they punish kids who perform poorly at one of their camps. Both Isaiah Williams and Marcus Washington were dropped significantly in their ratings based on that alone. Both of these kids would be ranked higher had they chosen to stay home on that day.

#1,641      
There absolutely is a subjective bias to their ratings. In order to be rated as a 4 or 5 star by 247 sports, the players have to be on their radar. This usually means the kids have been on the camp circuit since they were Sophomores and/or have big time offers. There's just too many high school football players in the country for them to evaluate and rating film alone is problematic.

Coleman didn't play football in 2017. 247 sports evaluated his Sophomore year film and gave him a rating of 80 which is a low three star. They probably never even heard of him until he started getting D1 offers in May.

One problem I do have with their ratings is that they punish kids who perform poorly at one of their camps. Both Isaiah Williams and Marcus Washington were dropped significantly in their ratings based on that alone. Both of these kids would be ranked higher had they chosen to stay home on that day.

Agree with all this.

Coleman imo will be the steal of this class. He is an elite athlete with a huge frame to add weight.

Really fluid on basketball court with great length

#1,642      
One more thing Isaiah is getting ranked as s quarterback when he was a 5 star he was getting ranked as a athlete ( most slot receiver) so that why his ranking drop big big

#1,643      

I don't think they punish kids who perform poorly, they input accurate information and the numbers are generated. Example. Based on film, someone may assume your forty time is in the 4.5 range which is then inputed in their system for said player. When he finally runs the forty, the accurate number replaces the original time and the results are the results. A lot of emphasis are put on the combine measurable based on college recruiting. Isaiah moving from Ath to QB took a major hit from Height and Weight. The average QB height is 6'3. How many points do you think he lost at 5'8? Even if he would have performed great in the skills challenge (unfortunately he didn't) his ranting was going to drop significantly as a QB. Had he told folks that he wanted to play QB only at 5'8, he probably would not have received more than one star. His film would have got him to two stars but that is about it.

#1,644      

FT35

Naperville
I don't think they punish kids who perform poorly, they input accurate information and the numbers are generated. Example. Based on film, someone may assume your forty time is in the 4.5 range which is then inputed in their system for said player. When he finally runs the forty, the accurate number replaces the original time and the results are the results. A lot of emphasis are put on the combine measurable based on college recruiting. Isaiah moving from Ath to QB took a major hit from Height and Weight. The average QB height is 6'3. How many points do you think he lost at 5'8? Even if he would have performed great in the skills challenge (unfortunately he didn't) his ranting was going to drop significantly as a QB. Had he told folks that he wanted to play QB only at 5'8, he probably would not have received more than one star. His film would have got him to two stars but that is about it.

This is all true. However, they still list him as an Athlete on his profile so they are not evaluating him as a QB:

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Williams-93607/

They have this information about his height and 40 time only because he took the time to go to this camp. Thus, they are punishing him and Marcus for going to this camp. Had he not gone to this camp, what would he be rated? Steve Wiltfong called him the most dynamic prospect to come out of St. Louis since Ezekial Elliott when he committed to Illinois:

Williams has been that on the prep level, a three-year starter under center at Trinity Catholic that will get the same opportunity in Champaign. But his skill set and high football IQ also present a high ceiling at receiver or in the secondary.

With that, I’d certainly start him out at quarterback where he has some Kyler Murray to his game.

This is the Director of Recruiting for 247 sports saying this. When he says something like this and they end up dropping him from 77th in the country to 261st four months later then they look kind of silly.

He's the two time Missouri Gatorade player of the year. That means those who pay attention to him in Missouri not only thought he was the best player in Missouri in 2018, they thought the same thing in 2017 when he was a Junior.

Note that guys like Jirehl Brock and Jason Bargy did not get similar drops in their ratings despite the fact that they choose not to attend camps like these and don't have the offers that Williams and Washington have. Thus, they are being evaluated ONLY on their film. In the case of Bargy, he played against pretty bad competition. Iowa decided to pass on Brock which is why he ended up at Iowa State.

Allen Trieu gave Julian Pearl a rating of 88 as an OT:

https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Pearl-46040509/high-school-192073/

I love this rating as an Illinois fan. However, I'm curious to know how Pearl was evaluated since he's being evaluated at a position he's never even played in High School. This just kind of illustrates my issue with their ratings.

247 Sports has also said that they rate players based on NFL potential. As a college football fan, I'm interested in the kind of impact these kids are going to have as college players. I know Isaiah Williams has almost a zero percent chance of playing QB in the NFL. However, I'd be more interested on their their thoughts on how Isaiah can do in college. He was almost exclusively a pocket passer as a Senior to prove a point in spite of the fact that he was a threat to score a touchdown every time he decided to run the ball. He was not rewarded for this, however. Note that he has no been dropped by Rivals.

Last edited:
#1,645      
This is all true. However, they still list him as an Athlete on his profile so they are not evaluating him as a QB:

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Williams-93607/

They have this information about his height and 40 time only because he took the time to go to this camp. Thus, they are punishing him and Marcus for going to this camp. Had he not gone to this camp, what would he be rated? Steve Wiltfong called him the most dynamic prospect to come out of St. Louis since Ezekial Elliott when he committed to Illinois:

This is the Director of Recruiting for 247 sports saying this. When he says something like this and they end up dropping him from 77th in the country to 261st four months later then they look kind of silly.

He's the two time Missouri Gatorade player of the year. That means those who pay attention to him in Missouri not only thought he was the best player in Missouri in 2018, they thought the same thing in 2017 when he was a Junior.

Note that guys like Jirehl Brock and Jason Bargy did not get similar drops in their ratings despite the fact that they choose not to attend camps like these and don't have the offers that Williams and Washington have. Thus, they are being evaluated ONLY on their film. In the case of Bargy, he played against pretty bad competition. Iowa decided to pass on Brock which is why he ended up at Iowa State.

Allen Trieu gave Julian Pearl a rating of 88 as an OT:

https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Pearl-46040509/high-school-192073/

I love this rating as an Illinois fan. However, I'm curious to know how Pearl was evaluated since he's being evaluated at a position he's never even played in High School. This just kind of illustrates my issue with their ratings.

247 Sports has also said that they rate players based on NFL potential. As a college football fan, I'm interested in the kind of impact these kids are going to have as college players. I know Isaiah Williams has almost a zero percent chance of playing QB in the NFL. However, I'd be more interested on their their thoughts on how Isaiah can do in college. He was almost exclusively a pocket passer as a Senior to prove a point in spite of the fact that he was a threat to score a touchdown every time he decided to run the ball. He was not rewarded for this, however. Note that he has no been dropped by Rivals.

I think the last point is the biggest point. He is ranked 261 by 247 but not that low by other scouts. That speaks volumes

#1,646      
Have asked this question before but no answer. Does Seth Coleman have the speed and measurables to fit in as a MLB or ILB? We seem to have plenty DL guys but need more size/speed at the LB.

#1,647      

FT35

Naperville
Have asked this question before but no answer. Does Seth Coleman have the speed and measurables to fit in as a MLB or ILB? We seem to have plenty DL guys but need more size/speed at the LB.

He fits the profile of what this staff wants at WDE. His measurables are far more comparable to guys like Gay and Holmes than Hollins and Tolson so I'd expect him to be a WDE,

Note that we are more likely to move guys from LB to DL than the other way around. The staff has done this with Crawford, Mondesir and Shogbonyo.

#1,648      

Deleted member 633632

D
Agree with all this.

Coleman imo will be the steal of this class. He is an elite athlete with a huge frame to add weight.

Really fluid on basketball court with great length

Brad are you seeing this? Juluis Peppers lite?? 👀🔸🔹

#1,649      
Coleman is now ranked higher than Isaiah Williams and Shammond Cooper in the 247 rankings. Both Isaiah and Coleman have a rating of 90 but Coleman is ranked as the #300 player in the country while Isaiah is #310. Cooper has a rating of 88 and is ranked #524.

Isaiah was the 28th ranked player in the country in the composite rankings when he committed to us and now he is #116. They dropped his 247 rating back in July.

Cumby rose in the composite rankings a couple of weeks ago and now is in the Top 1000. This gives us 7 top 1000 players if Cooper signs with us next week.

How does Williams drop 300 spots??? What in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.