Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
160EF1C2-AF75-41D4-97D3-F554D1AD2112.png

The single biggest thing this team needs right now is an experienced quarterback who can execute the offense our OC is trying to install. This position has been our weak link for a few years and now that the other positions have strengthened, the problem is magnified.
I look at QB as more of a risk..., Rivers, Williams, or Robinson could all potentially be good enough & if you look at Kittner's (78.4) & Juice Williams I (91.9 ) freshman QB numbers, Rivers (104.8) was above both of them as a freshman (now they both had more starts & experience to carry over); Also of note both Kurt & Nathan took us from bad records to good records from freshman to sophomore years, 3 wins to 8 wins for Kittner; 2 wins to 9 wins for Scheelhaase ...Not to say we will get that level of improvement from any of our QBs, but we shouldn't be writing it off that we can't get a good season out of one of our young QBs, add in . If we get an experienced QB great, if not I'm not ready to write off the position & the season as lost.

I look at QB as more of a risk..., Rivers, Williams, or Robinson could all potentially be good enough & if you look at Kittner's (78.4) & Juice Williams I (91.9 ) freshman QB numbers, Rivers (104.8) was above both of them as a freshman (now they both had more starts & experience to carry over); Also of note both Kurt & Nathan took us from bad records to good records from freshman to sophomore years, 3 wins to 8 wins for Kittner; 2 wins to 9 wins for Scheelhaase ...Not to say we will get that level of improvement from any of our QBs, but we shouldn't be writing it off that we can't get a good season out of one of our young QBs, add in . If we get an experienced QB great, if not I'm not ready to write off the position & the season as lost.
Agree, but will be disappointed if Isaiah does not give that group a strong run for their money

Give me some feedback on this...
These are what I believe the steps we need to bring this program back to relevance and dominance..
#1 Lockdown the in state recruiting.. so many great players from this state leave for another..
#2 keep our presence in Mizzou very strong.
#3 keep our presence dominant in the state of texas... a ton of athleticism comes from the state of texas.
#4 we have got to find a way to recruit the kids from the upper east coast, Maryland, Rhode island, Massachusetts. Those three states are considered a pipeline for high grade talent.
#5 we absolutely have to win, kids want to succeed 99 percent of the time, they want to come in and WIN... almost every recruit worth anything is used to winning, they dont want to be part of a rebuild most of the time..
#6 we have to give lovie a little more time..
The east coast thing should be nowhere on the list. Especially if you’re looking to boost instate, Missouri, and Texas recruiting.

1. Win, starting this year. (If that doesn’t happen, the rest of the list adjusts to the new coaching staff’s philosophy.
2. Continue this recruiting momentum in Illinois and St. Louis.
3. Continue recruiting Texas and Florida well.
4. Win bigger next year.

Agree, but will be disappointed if Isaiah does not give that group a strong run for their money
Williams is just another potential option...we have no proven quantities, but we have 3 potential options that give us a legitimate shot at reasonable QB play...throw in a good running game, hopefully Luke Ford, a couple additional receivers, & what should be an improved Defense to take a bit of pressure off the offense and a young QB...we should hold serve on offense even if we don't get an experienced transfer QB and we can stay away from injuries.

I refuse to believe winning being #5 on this list isn't parody. Nice try, wiseguy.
I agree with you completely, I should have clarified what I meant... basically I was stating we need to do all of those things..
Winning is crucial to obtaining talented players, like I said kids want to come and play somewhere they can win.. so basically I agree with you totally, it not number 5 on the list as in not as important because really it would be a 1 or 2..
#wewillwin

Deleted member 654622

D
Is another commitment on the horizon?
Sadly I doubt it. I feel like we are entering the same time warp as last year after we got Beason and Williams. A lot of buzz for a couple weeks, then nothing until the season started. I feel this year will be the same.

Sadly I doubt it. I feel like we are entering the same time warp as last year after we got Beason and Williams. A lot of buzz for a couple weeks, then nothing until the season started. I feel this year will be the same.

We have a handful of players on the brink. And the staff will be looking at what they need to fill gaps. Consider transfers vs freshmen and what they believe will be needed to win

Deleted member 631370

D
The single biggest thing this team needs right now is an experienced quarterback who can execute the offense our OC is trying to install. This position has been our weak link for a few years and now that the other positions have strengthened, the problem is magnified.

Frankly, getting Tommy Stevens would be an absolutely perfect situation. Gives IW a year to figure things out before taking the reins, while giving us an experienced and talented QB that can run and throw.

Don't know if we're recruiting him, though. Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers have all been mentioned.

The east coast thing should be nowhere on the list. Especially if you’re looking to boost instate, Missouri, and Texas recruiting.

1. Win, starting this year. (If that doesn’t happen, the rest of the list adjusts to the new coaching staff’s philosophy.
2. Continue this recruiting momentum in Illinois and St. Louis.
3. Continue recruiting Texas and Florida well.
4. Win bigger next year.
I agree with every point but our presence on the east coast has to be felt.. but I believe all other points are very valid

Per fan sided the illini are considered favorites to land penn state transfer Tommy stevens... they put a list of 5 power 5 teams interested and illini are number 1... what do you guys think ??
We want stevens? Red shirt williams?
Or rivers and see if William's can take over the reigns right away?????
Hmmm this one is tough...

Per fan sided the illini are considered favorites to land penn state transfer Tommy stevens... they put a list of 5 power 5 teams interested and illini are number 1... what do you guys think ??
Do we burn a scholly on him even though we arent certain he will win the starting job?

Do we burn a scholly on him even though we arent certain he will win the starting job?
I’d be fine with that this year. It’s like the article said...it’s a make or break year for us, and the Quarterback spot is questionable

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Fan sided wasn’t listing “favorites.” The article was listing potential landing spots for him. There has been no actual discussion of him considering Illinois or vice versa, at least from what I’ve seen. It’s all been fan speculation.

I would think that guys already on the roster are the first option, following by Tate (if that happens), followed by anyone else. Don’t want to burn a scholly on your third preference when the preference might be to play someone else over him (as 0440 stated). Williams won’t redshirt either way.

Ultimately, I think we need to fill our roster. I believe Williams legitimately competes for the starting spot halfway through the season and I am not sure that a qb is what we most need right now. I would way rather see a few more additions at skill positions. But a QB that is new to a system will take some time and will limit our playbook. I'd rather see how Rivers or Robinson do. But, I would understand if we took a veteran QB.

a 3 star from texas can be better than a 4 star from il

I disagree with this statement. Illinois recruited some 3 stars from Florida and Texas. How well are they doing? Also compare them to the 4 stars that were Illinois.

Ultimately, I think we need to fill our roster. I believe Williams legitimately competes for the starting spot halfway through the season and I am not sure that a qb is what we most need right now. I would way rather see a few more additions at skill positions. But a QB that is new to a system will take some time and will limit our playbook. I'd rather see how Rivers or Robinson do. But, I would understand if we took a veteran QB.
Why halfway through the season? Wouldn't be surprised if he starts game 1 or 2...Rod LOVES him.

I would think that guys already on the roster are the first option, following by Tate (if that happens), followed by anyone else. Don’t want to burn a scholly on your third preference when the preference might be to play someone else over him (as 0440 stated). Williams won’t redshirt either way.
Not sure how many spots we have left, but seems like a few & a spot probably isn't a problem this late. Small class next year, so pushing another scholarship to next year with a 5th yr transfer works well. Staff should have a good idea if Tate will be in play, but assuming not at this point, I think you take Stevens if you can convince him to come and compete for a spot. We are arguing if we have 1 QB ready for next year, with potential injuries another QB with experience who was expected to start for PSU seems like a no brainer. Sounded like he wanted a guarantee to start at PSU, probably the same from Illinois...if we are willing to make a guarantee the starting job is his is a different question.

What I am saying is that the staff is interested but not sure he is that much better than our current QBs
If that’s the case, then I trust the staff’s ability to evaluate him and make a final decision. But, if there’s any chance we could improve I’d take him

FT35

Naperville

We're currently projected to have 82 scholarship players IF Brissett comes here so it is worth the risk even if Stevens or another QB is not the starter.

I really don't see the point of having less than 85 scholarship players? I'm guessing transfers are possible at other positions or there could be a late JUCO add like Stampley last year. They could also give scholarships to guys like Jordan Holmes and Jake Stover. Other than that, I don't see the problem with taking another player like Stevens.

We had three scholarship kickers last year which was a bigger issue to me as a fan than having 5 scholarship QBs before Thomas left. I would go with 5 scholarship QBs since no one stepped up this Spring and assumed the starting spot. I would rather they give IW time to learn the offense and gain some strength. He can still be used in certain packages.

Last edited:
I disagree with this statement. Illinois recruited some 3 stars from Florida and Texas. How well are they doing? Also compare them to the 4 stars that were fromIllinois.
Sydney brown starting on the team, jartavius Martin staring on the team, mj rivers could start for the team and mike epstein would of been the best offensive player on the team if not for injuries. 4 star from Illinois jeff thomas a good receiver, that oline from maine south that goes to msu is pretty good. But after that not many guys are playing or are bust i take the 3 star. One more is bobby roundtree is maybe the best defense player on the team.

Sydney brown starting on the team, jartavius Martin staring on the team, mj rivers could start for the team and mike epstein would of been the best offensive player on the team if not for injuries. 4 star from Illinois jeff thomas a good receiver, that oline from maine south that goes to msu is pretty good. But after that not many guys are playing or are bust i take the 3 star. One more is bobby roundtree is maybe the best defense player on the team.

Stanley Green was a 2 star. Trevour Simms was a 3 Star that has started all 3 years at Mizzou.
Treadwell Ole Miss
Boykins Notre Dame
Love Notre Dame
Beckner Mizzou
AJ Iowa
Every O Linemen that went to Michigan State (lol)
Ethan Pocic that went to LSU

Those are some names that quickly come to mind. I may try to do a little research and present the case. On the other hand, list the bust that Illinois has had from Texas and Florida. What is the overall percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.