Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,301      
OSU has 2020 WR commits with composite 247 rankings of #5, #66, & #89. Eeeeeesh! I was going to look at 2019, but I'll assume those guys have all gone pro already. :(

#1,305      

Deleted member 631370

D
OSU has 2020 WR commits with composite 247 rankings of #5, #66, & #89. Eeeeeesh! I was going to look at 2019, but I'll assume those guys have all gone pro already. :(

Yeah, he'll likely be buried on the depth chart until his 3rd year on campus. But for a lot of big time recruits, it's worth it for the shot at eventually playing a prominent role on a title contender.

Ohio State is basically WR University. It's a pretty easy sell.

#1,306      

illini80

Forgottonia
Anyone have a clue what she is trying to say?
It sounds like she is expecting some negative reaction, which will happen no matter who he chooses. But Illini twitter has not always been gracious to recruits that scorn us. Hopefully that’s not the case. I don’t get the “petty instructions” part.

#1,307      
It sounds like she is expecting some negative reaction, which will happen no matter who he chooses. But Illini twitter has not always been gracious to recruits that scorn us. Hopefully that’s not the case. I don’t get the “petty instructions” part.
She explained it in tge tweet. She dont fall for fake love. And FOE ( Family over everything)

#1,308      

I interpreted more as a pro Illini tweet. The FOE is Corey’s motto to these STL kids - we know Shammond’s parents both fully trust Lovie and the staff and she is saying they can be trusted

Who knows who she is referencing as an alternative. It could be broad like “most other” recruiters who have their best interest in heart only. One thing that I wondered given the ENVY statement is does this somehow tie back to someone like NuNu dolling out anti-Corey rhetoric trying to push kids away

#1,309      
Anxious to find out. Mookie was a big part of this class ceiling. If he's off the board, the ceiling drops quite a bit imo

#1,311      
He’s going to commit to Ohio state. Does that really mean he’s off the board though? No.
Sorry it's hard to think positive. Except for McCoy's commitment, it's been nothing but bad news lately. I'm excited for next season still, but the 2020 recruiting class seems like a dud. If this holds, Lovie doesn't have much of a security blanket. Hopefully we win and it doesn't matter.

#1,313      

Deleted member 631370

D
Sorry it's hard to think positive. Except for McCoy's commitment, it's been nothing but bad news lately. I'm excited for next season still, but the 2020 recruiting class seems like a dud. If this holds, Lovie doesn't have much of a security blanket. Hopefully we win and it doesn't matter.

If the 2019 season doesn't go terribly well and this 2020 class doesn't improve significantly, then I'm afraid bad times are ahead. If you think recruiting is poor now, just wait until how it stacks up after a weak season #4 in Lovie's tenure.

I can't ever remember a year so important to both football and basketball as this upcoming season.

#1,316      

Deleted member 656517

D
You all forget the best part of being an Illini fan’s the best times are ahead of us. Let the season play out, sit back, and watch the commitments come pouring in. Wasn’t too long ago that we were freaking out about BB recruiting and then we got Kofi!

#1,317      
You all forget the best part of being an Illini fan’s the best times are ahead of us. Let the season play out, sit back, and watch the commitments come pouring in. Wasn’t too long ago that we were freaking out about BB recruiting and then we got Kofi!

Commitments will come with wins. Commitments are meaningless before signing day. This isn’t basketball. We need to focus on winning.

#1,318      

Deleted member 631370

D
Commitments will come with wins. Commitments are meaningless before signing day. This isn’t basketball. We need to focus on winning.

I definitely agree with the first part. If we overachieve this year, I think there's a reasonable chance we might secure a flip or get a couple of fencesitters who aren't ready to commit to a losing program.

However -- and I don't know the numbers on this -- I'd be willing to bet that the large majority of kids honor their initial commitments. Thus, commitments are very much meaningful even before signing day. If Mookie commits to Ohio State, then they're in the statistical driver's seat to secure his LOI.

The kids that are prime flip candidates are those who suddenly commit to a school during a visit on the basis of emotion, and then realize later on that they committed too early. However, kids that announce a commitment date weeks ahead of time, take visits, and then commit........those kids tend to make their decision in a more systematic and thoughtful manner, and their commitments tend to stick. I'd be willing to bet that whoever Mookie commits to next week, that'll be his destination.

#1,319      
I definitely agree with the first part. If we overachieve this year, I think there's a reasonable chance we might secure a flip or get a couple of fencesitters who aren't ready to commit to a losing program.

However -- and I don't know the numbers on this -- I'd be willing to bet that the large majority of kids honor their initial commitments. Thus, commitments are very much meaningful even before signing day. If Mookie commits to Ohio State, then they're in the statistical driver's seat to secure his LOI.

The kids that are prime flip candidates are those who suddenly commit to a school during a visit on the basis of emotion, and then realize later on that they committed too early. However, kids that announce a commitment date weeks ahead of time, take visits, and then commit........those kids tend to make their decision in a more systematic and thoughtful manner, and their commitments tend to stick. I'd be willing to bet that whoever Mookie commits to next week, that'll be his destination.

Here is Mookie's timeline:

Mookie visited UT Austin on June 16, he then visited 5 other schools. He committed to UT on February 16. A commitment to Ohio State could just as likely be similar. Players that have decommitted once, are statistically more likely to decommit a 2nd time. I don't have insider information. In fact, every player I have heard has played out away from our favor. This is another one of those commitments. But I have to think Mookie is different. He wants to play for Illinois. He wants to rebuild. He just needs to know that coming to Illinois will actually result in a rebuild, not a dumpster fire.

#1,320      

Mookie visited UT Austin on June 16, he then visited 5 other schools. He committed to UT on February 16. A commitment to Ohio State could just as likely be similar. Players that have decommitted once, are statistically more likely to decommit a 2nd time. I don't have insider information. In fact, every player I have heard has played out away from our favor. This is another one of those commitments. But I have to think Mookie is different. He wants to play for Illinois. He wants to rebuild. He just needs to know that coming to Illinois will actually result in a rebuild, not a dumpster fire.
I think it the result of ohio st coach Brian hartline pushing for a commitment

#1,322      

In fact, every player I have heard has played out away from our favor.

What I meant to say is that every piece of Good news that I have heard has led to a commit to a school that is not Illinois. But I still have a feeling that mookie plays for illinois

#1,323      
All I can say is I told you last week mookies commitment was coming sooner rather than later.
I had a chance to speak with 2 different players over the weekend I ask them what they Thought about him coming to Illinois one player shrugged his shoulders the other Player Aaron Rodgers Me and said Relax! F.o.e.

#1,324      
There are enough insiders here who think he's committing to OSU but were all not sure that on signing day he'll go that way. this is a long play recruiting wise.
(it wouldn't hurt to win 6 games either)

#1,325      
There are enough insiders here who think he's committing to OSU but were all not sure that on signing day he'll go that way. this is a long play recruiting wise.
(it wouldn't hurt to win 6 games either)
I think this makes sense. Locks up a spot on OSU. If OSU not the same under Day, or ILL has a great season, can switch before signing day. Also, OSU does great and ILL crashes, spot already locked up. An ILL spot will be there. An OSU spot will not, especially if hardline is applying pressure/leverage.
Goes with a lot of other posters thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.