Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if the cryptic tweet about a storm brewing up north is hints that Henning may be comitting.. really hope we can snag one more if not two more 4 plus star ranked players.... I'm really thinking Mookie is coming to the orange and blue.... I believe we may have a top 20 class this year.... #LITTYVILLE

They brought Gunnell for the job. Sumlin is the best QB developer in college football. And, there is no motivation for Sumlin to start Tate if that is not what is best for the future of Sumlin's career at Arizona. Even if Tate stays and starts, I bet by midseason, barring a great first half, Gunnell will begin taking reps. It is in everyone's interest for Tate to leave.

They brought Gunnell for the job. Sumlin is the best QB developer in college football. And, there is no motivation for Sumlin to start Tate if that is not what is best for the future of Sumlin's career at Arizona. Even if Tate stays and starts, I bet by midseason, barring a great first half, Gunnell will begin taking reps. It is in everyone's interest for Tate to leave.

Their Spring game is this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how they all look and if a starter is named. Mazzone and Tate have each made comments this spring, although neutral, show that there hasn't been much change in their relationship.

I doubt Tate trusts Mazzone and Sumlin with what is the most important year for his future in football. There is a less than zero chance at Illinois that Tate would be replaced barring injury. Things are far more uncertain at Arizona, so I can't see Tate taking that chance if he has a choice.

I agree. Seems like fans also like Doyle too. If I were Tate, I would strongly consider leaving as Sumlin is looking to the future with his recruits.

Still wouldn't make sense for Zona to give him first team reps all spring.
Well he may want to transfer if he graduates, but if he doesn't graduate in time, then it would behoove Arizona to prepare for him being on the team.
It also makes a lot of sense for AZ if they want to keep him...just reading the tea leaves there is a chance, it seemed fairly obvious that he realized his situation and it was preemptive to make a decision before he graduated from AZ. He may have already decided to stay at AZ, or if he is 100% sure he will leave if/when he graduates it makes a lot of sense to wait until you have actually graduated to make a formal decision/announcement.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
A few mentions of Derek Bermudez being on campus recently for a visit - 2020 CB from Florida. Lots of good D1 offers (e.g. Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Oklahoma) but not even a ranking from 247Sports. Just goes to show how many kids there are out there and how challenging this "recruiting" thing is. It will be interesting to see how his ranking changes once the next set of updated rankings comes out.

Does anyone know when the next 247Sports rankings is published?

A few mentions of Derek Bermudez being on campus recently for a visit - 2020 CB from Florida. Lots of good D1 offers (e.g. Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Oklahoma) but not even a ranking from 247Sports. Just goes to show how many kids there are out there and how challenging this "recruiting" thing is. It will be interesting to see how his ranking changes once the next set of updated rankings comes out.

Does anyone know when the next 247Sports rankings is published?

He is ranked, just not composite.

I wish all the best for Ward, but Bellamy has already out recruited him in his 3 months on campus compared to Thad's 3 years. Both had similar areas of recruiting and positions, and we never got a Chicago player as good as Jadon Thompson, nor a RB as good as Reggie (Ik that was Cory) plus he was the lead on Harper too. Two Top 650 recruits for him so far is pretty impressive makes you wonder if Lovie just retained him the first time.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I wish all the best for Ward, but Bellamy has already out recruited him in his 3 months on campus compared to Thad's 3 years. Both had similar areas of recruiting and positions, and we never got a Chicago player as good as Jadon Thompson, nor a RB as good as Reggie (Ik that was Cory) plus he was the lead on Harper too. Two Top 650 recruits for him so far is pretty impressive makes you wonder if Lovie just retained him the first time.

Ward did yeoman's work on a staff that wasn't properly built for recruiting purposes and didn't really know what it was doing from the very top at first. We owe an enormous debt of gratitude to that guy.

He's the Founding Father of Littyville.

Agree Bellamy is great and I wish we had kept him all along (so does Lovie I'm sure). However... any criticism of Thad is way off. He laid the foundations.

Sorry was not supposed to be a jab at Ward as he worked his butt off, but Bellamy has already shown more product in way less time
Agree Bellamy is great and I wish we had kept him all along (so does Lovie I'm sure). However... any criticism of Thad is way off. He laid the foundations.

Sorry was not supposed to be a jab at Ward as he worked his butt off, but Bellamy has already shown more product in way less time

Honestly, a lot of this is attributed to Lovie not being in position to work the network. Some of the slow start for Lovie is that, although he was an established name, he didn’t have high school coaching relationships. First season he relied on name recognition, 2nd season tried to flex name recognition and lay the foundation, 3rd season created pipelines Now the recruiting floodgates are starting to open. I hope to see a few more wins so we can see what his celebrity status does for recruiting.

Any word about sidney
I have been trolling all day trying to find something because of the 2 is better than one... super excited right now.

100% speculation but is the #2betterthan1 hashtag referencing the fact that the grad transfer we got has two years remaining and not just one like most immediately eligible, grad transfers?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
100% speculation but is the #2betterthan1 hashtag referencing the fact that the grad transfer we got has two years remaining and not just one like most immediately eligible, grad transfers?

highly doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.