Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Funny, I thought you and chiefgritty were twins. Lets enjoy being Illini fans no matter what. Better yet, I'm sure you have long standing season tickets and have donated a ton to the Ifund since all the money spent would cause for a disgruntled fan. Well guess what, I'm a long standing season ticket holder who donates what I can to the Ifund and I'll always stay positive for our beloved Illini, because that is what we do.

Maybe we should stop labeling the level of satisfaction from each poster and view 99.99999% of the posters on here as valuable contributors to a constantly changing conversation. There are times I disagree with others on here (and social media), but that doesn't mean that post doesn't have support or evidence that is supporting their opinion. Some people will be more optimistic or pessimistic, just take it as an understanding of how the program is perceived by other Illini supporters.

I know right? I’ve always seen you as a positive poster. I was confused by that other post as well...

Yeah, I do stick up for gritty because I think he has a valid perspective that is much more prevalent outside the board. Maybe that is what the poster was referring to?

Anybody that is on this board long term (i.e. non-troll) in invested in Illini success. Don't think we need to question people's motives. I personally am happy with the way Lovie represents the school, and really want him to do the job. I am encouraged by the recruiting classes - not as much by the stats and the rankings, but by the schools we seem to be successfully competing with for these recruits, and my optimistic nature generally comes through, but at the same time I can't get past the Iowa game, and it seems like it is taking too long to get stability in the coaching staff. I think there is evidence to support a wide range of opinions for loyal Illini fans. These next two years are going to be very revealing. Personally I think Lovie is building something special, but I can't take another Iowa game.

Anybody that is on this board long term (i.e. non-troll) in invested in Illini success. Don't think we need to question people's motives. I personally am happy with the way Lovie represents the school, and really want him to do the job. I am encouraged by the recruiting classes - not as much by the stats and the rankings, but by the schools we seem to be successfully competing with for these recruits, and my optimistic nature generally comes through, but at the same time I can't get past the Iowa game, and it seems like it is taking too long to get stability in the coaching staff. I think there is evidence to support a wide range of opinions for loyal Illini fans. These next two years are going to be very revealing. Personally I think Lovie is building something special, but I can't take another Iowa game.
I go to school with a lot northwesten fans and we fight all the time about both football and basketball only been a fan for 4 year but i love this school

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Lovie was hired at a very awkward time of year and he made some errors in his initial hires of assistants. I don't think he realized right away how the college recruiting process needs to be done/managed. These two things cost us that first season , on the field and off the field .

No one can understand how friggin' Iowa schools beat the crap out of us that bad , and it was/is embarrassing. Is this, his fourth season, the one where we stop being terrible 1/2 the time ? One has a hard time imagining him back if we don't go 6-6. I suppose a 5-7 team that is losing games by less than 10 points would be indicative of progress. Its obvious he and 3-4 coaches are finally connecting with some talented lads here in state or next door , and ones that are miles away. I like the direction the recruiting has taken. Its on par with Zooks first 2-3 years.

The first year or so, I just dont think Lovie fully appreciated the differences in the college football business vs the pro football business. You know, the game inside the game .

the national

the Front Range
Lovie was hired at a very awkward time of year and he made some errors in his initial hires of assistants. I don't think he realized right away how the college recruiting process needs to be done/managed. These two things cost us that first season , on the field and off the field .

No one can understand how friggin' Iowa schools beat the crap out of us that bad , and it was/is embarrassing. Is this, his fourth season, the one where we stop being terrible 1/2 the time ? One has a hard time imagining him back if we don't go 6-6. I suppose a 5-7 team that is losing games by less than 10 points would be indicative of progress. Its obvious he and 3-4 coaches are finally connecting with some talented lads here in state or next door , and ones that are miles away. I like the direction the recruiting has taken. Its on par with Zooks first 2-3 years.

The first year or so, I just dont think Lovie fully appreciated the differences in the college football business vs the pro football business. You know, the game inside the game .
I think you kind of said it already, he was hired at an awkward time. He had slim pickin's for assistants, couldn't really recruit due to the timing. All of this led to him making the decisions he did in his first year. It was rough and everybody knew it, including Lovie. He's a pretty patient and a decent guy and didn't want to sack his good friends but I think he felt he needed to move in a different direction with both coordinators and also on the recruiting front.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I go to school with a lot northwesten fans and we fight all the time about both football and basketball only been a fan for 4 year but i love this school
Just the idea that such a historically weak school can stay in an argument with UI is horrible.........but better days are rapidly approaching.

Still expecting this?

Never was expecting. He was hoping for an add today. We are in good position with many of our top targets. Between Luke having left a top program, and the Relationships in the St. Louis area along with the big adds from last year, and Lovies celebrity status, and the new additions from Illinois along with the new relationships Lovie created, along with the groundwork layes over the last few years, and the recruiters we have on campus, this class is shaping up to be good Enough to extend Lovie an extra year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 654622

D

This is in line with the narrative I have been pushing. It makes a lot of sense that someone like Lovie would need some time to adjust to college. So the "4 year" measuring stick should not apply. Does it suck? Hell yes it does. But he has clearly adjusted in many ways. The recruiting classes look like they are getting better and better. If he starts getting top 25 recruiting classes, he could be a terrible coach, and they would still win 6 games. They are trying their best to cover up those early mistakes by getting transfers. But some, like the glaring depth issues at OL and WR, are only fixed in the long run.
To be completely honest, I hope we pull a miracle and have Tate under center next year. He can make up for bad WR and OL play if need be. At least 6 wins and the recruiting will take another jump forward. Then.....

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Maybe we should stop labeling the level of satisfaction from each poster and view 99.99999% of the posters on here as valuable contributors to a constantly changing conversation.

My view on this is pretty consistent, which is that 87.3% of the posters here don't post anymore, because combining both sports we've been the single worst Power Five school in the country over the last 11 years, and most people just aren't interested in that kind of drudgery and humiliation.

I'm optimistic we can break out of that next school year, in both sports really. But when we do (and *eventually* we will, one way or another), the change in the conversation is going to be defined not by all us longtime gluttons for punishment changing our tunes or admitting we were wrong or whatever, but by the flood of new voices as Illini Nation awakens from its hibernation.

Maybe we should stop labeling the level of satisfaction from each poster and view 99.99999% of the posters on here as valuable contributors to a constantly changing conversation. There are times I disagree with others on here (and social media), but that doesn't mean that post doesn't have support or evidence that is supporting their opinion. Some people will be more optimistic or pessimistic, just take it as an understanding of how the program is perceived by other Illini supporters.

Here comes the realist. 😂😂😂

Deleted member 654622

D
My view on this is pretty consistent, which is that 87.3% of the posters here don't post anymore, because combining both sports we've been the single worst Power Five school in the country over the last 11 years, and most people just aren't interested in that kind of drudgery and humiliation.

I'm optimistic we can break out of that next school year, in both sports really. But when we do (and *eventually* we will, one way or another), the change in the conversation is going to be defined not by all us longtime gluttons for punishment changing our tunes or admitting we were wrong or whatever, but by the flood of new voices as Illini Nation awakens from its hibernation.
So should Dan give us current posters like a gold border around our profile pic to signify our seats on the wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.