Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I believe the correct wording is you can only bring in 25 per CLASS. not 25 per year . Those problems are not that hard to correct. See our last two transfers in

That's incorrect. In every one-year period you can only add 25 scholarship players to the roster. Transfers, Jucos, whatever. That's why teams that get into a Kansas situation are so screwed.

I thiiiiiiink giving scholarships to walkons doesn't count against that limit, but I'm not 100% sure. You could see the potential for someone to abuse that loophole, surely.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
That's incorrect. In every one-year period you can only add 25 scholarship players to the roster. Transfers, Jucos, whatever. That's why teams that get into a Kansas situation are so screwed.

I thiiiiiiink giving scholarships to walkons doesn't count against that limit, but I'm not 100% sure. You could see the potential for someone to abuse that loophole, surely.

Blueshirts help with this issue, and this staff has used them in the past to help balance some things out. Also, this hand-wringing is also based on the assumption that we won't lose any players to transfer after the coming season. This almost always happens.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Blueshirts help with this issue, and this staff has used them in the past to help balance some things out. Also, this hand-wringing is also based on the assumption that we won't lose any players to transfer after the coming season. This almost always happens.

To be doubly clear, I'm not hand wringing at all. We're at 82 right now, which is good. If we stay at 28 juniors and take a full class the next two years, we'll end up stuck at...82.

It's not a big deal. But it is something to keep an eye on, and will be a reason, for instance, that we probably won't be aggressively recruiting a bunch one-and-done grad transfers next offseason. Fourth year guys who don't play much this year are also probably candidates to transfer out as grad transfers, as someone else mentioned.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
To be doubly clear, I'm not hand wringing at all. We're at 82 right now, which is good. If we stay at 28 juniors and take a full class the next two years, we'll end up stuck at...82.

It's not a big deal. But it is something to keep an eye on, and will be a reason, for instance, that we probably won't be aggressively recruiting a bunch one-and-done grad transfers next offseason. Fourth year guys who don't play much this year are also probably candidates to transfer out as grad transfers, as someone else mentioned.

Fair enough. I just don't see why it's "something to keep an eye on", either. It's likely not going to be an issue by the time we get to that recruiting cycle.

That's incorrect. In every one-year period you can only add 25 scholarship players to the roster.
Blueshirts help with this issue, and this staff has used them in the past to help balance some things out.
I think there is little chance that this is a real problem, but asking for a friend if blueshirts would really help here & some rule clarification? The class in front is small, so you would like to fill that up to the 85 limit, if you fill to 85 then I assume you are locked out of moving anyone forward into your small class (blueshirt) by the 85 limit. The big class is still locked at 25, so I wouldn't think you could even bring anyone forward into that class from the following class because it is already at the 25 yearly limit. I suppose the wild card here is mid-season transfers, kids getting kicked off the team, or leaving for whatever reason... do you get to reload to 25 or 85 limit if someone leaves during the school year?

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
I believe blueshirts are added to the following year's count. Maybe I'm getting it wrong, though.

Deleted member 654622

D
Hyperbole? Chief Gritty?

giphy.gif
Straight beat me to it

Deleted member 654622

D
I believe blueshirts are added to the following year's count. Maybe I'm getting it wrong, though.
Correct
As long as they do not take an official visit, they get counted against the following year scholarships

The optimal class distribution is 21 per class.

By choosing carefully, a coach can be certain to choose only players who will develop fully on the agreed-upon timeline, get straight A's and be models of the community. Nobody will transfer because, of course, each class is optimal, and therefore is a perfect fit to the university and their program of study, as well as the team. The bad news is that because positions of need won't always map directly to the list of consensus five stars, we will have to continue accepting some amazing four star student athletes, too. Maybe even some three stars that those bozos at the rating agencies completely missed on. /s

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
The optimal class distribution is 21 per class.

By choosing carefully, a coach can be certain to choose only players who will develop fully on the agreed-upon timeline, get straight A's and be models of the community. Nobody will transfer because, of course, each class is optimal, and therefore is a perfect fit to the university and their program of study, as well as the team. The bad news is that because positions of need won't always map directly to the list of consensus five stars, we will have to continue accepting some amazing four star student athletes, too. Maybe even some three stars that those bozos at the rating agencies completely missed on. /s

Sounds like a plan.

Not only is a QB from USC transferring, so is a QB from tOSU. I assume we're on it.

Deleted member 631370

D
Not only is a QB from USC transferring, so is a QB from tOSU. I assume we're on it.

As it Penn State's once-presumed starter -- 5th year senior Tommy Stevens. Been hurt most of the spring, and in all likelihood is losing the battle for the starting job to talented sophomore Sean Clifford. I've seen Illinois mentioned on one site as a school that would make sense, but no idea if there's any interest on either side.

Purdue and Indiana are other possible destinations.

We're inching closer to free agency in CFB, it seems. The # of kids transferring this late in the spring is only going to increase as transfers are permitted without penalty.

Give me some feedback on this...
These are what I believe the steps we need to bring this program back to relevance and dominance..
#1 Lockdown the in state recruiting.. so many great players from this state leave for another..
#2 keep our presence in Mizzou very strong.
#3 keep our presence dominant in the state of texas... a ton of athleticism comes from the state of texas.
#4 we have got to find a way to recruit the kids from the upper east coast, Maryland, Rhode island, Massachusetts. Those three states are considered a pipeline for high grade talent.
#5 we absolutely have to win, kids want to succeed 99 percent of the time, they want to come in and WIN... almost every recruit worth anything is used to winning, they dont want to be part of a rebuild most of the time..
#6 we have to give lovie a little more time..

These are what I believe the steps we need to bring this program back to relevance and dominance...

So, in synopsis, we need to recruit all the best players from all the best areas to recruit, and we need to win games. You might be on to something.. QUICK! Send your resume in to Lovie!

I kid. I think your points are great, but it' so much easier to type than to execute. Well, it has been for use over the past 20 years. But I think Lovie is making strides. Your last point is key.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
These are what I believe the steps we need to bring this program back to relevance and dominance..
#1 Lockdown the in state recruiting.. so many great players from this state leave for another..
#3 keep our presence dominant in the state of texas... a ton of athleticism comes from the state of texas.
#4 we have got to find a way to recruit the kids from the upper east coast, Maryland, Rhode island, Massachusetts. Those three states are considered a pipeline for high grade talent.
#5 we absolutely have to win, kids want to succeed 99 percent of the time, they want to come in and WIN... almost every recruit worth anything is used to winning, they dont want to be part of a rebuild most of the time..
Agree with most of it, but I'd say keeping relationships in FL and CA is more important than #4. Much more talent there and staff has connections.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I honestly think #5 is more important this year than anything else. Need to show success on the field in 2019. Obviously keeping the relationships and recruiting alive in the key areas is crucial, but the pitch to those kids is a lot easier if Illinois finishes 7-5 than if they finish 4-8.

Deleted member 649710

D
If Lovie wins, the fans will return and the kids will come. Simple to state, tough to execute.

PS Illinois will never ever “lockdown the state” — not with Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisky and others nearby. It’s not necessary, any way. Signing 3 or 4 of the top ten every year, and keeping local studs away from Iowa, Purdue, Minny and Missou, would be just fine.

The single biggest thing this team needs right now is an experienced quarterback who can execute the offense our OC is trying to install. This position has been our weak link for a few years and now that the other positions have strengthened, the problem is magnified.

Status
Not open for further replies.