Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
Man very mad Mizzou fan over the tweet come on now that just mad one of the best coach in ka key area likes illni
I was thinking while I was reading the thread, "man if I was a Mizzou fan, I would tell that guy to shut the hell up". Not the person to be starting an argument with. Good for us though!

The ESL relationship is really good right now. He is just trying to help Lovie and co. out.

Hmm... we’ve know lyn the relationship has been good for months. That doesn’t spur this kind of tweet. I’m actually curious what happened that had him tweet this?

Tyler Macon would set us up at QB for the next 5-6 years. Let's get him on board coach Sunkett.

I think we need to win before we think about Macon.

At this point, We have re-established relationships to important recruiting areas, but a new coach could jeopardize this?

FT35

Naperville
They aren't the only options though.

Who else is there? Not looking for premium information but the list of guys who are immediately eligible is kind of meh after these two.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/?eligibility=Immediate

Fink isn't on this list so they must not be including all of the QBs who will be eligible immediately.

If we're talking about the guys who are on this list....yikes. Stevens is clearly the best. The only other guys who would fit this system (Edourd and Amie) aren't very good options to say the least.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Tommy Stevens will visit us. Don't have the dates.
For those of us who aren't aware or don't really know where to look (since Stevens has never started a college game), what's the scouting report on Stevens? Should the expectation be similar to what AJ Bush brought to the table last year?

For those of us who aren't aware or don't really know where to look (since Stevens has never started a college game), what's the scouting report on Stevens? Should the expectation be similar to what AJ Bush brought to the table last year?
Similar yes. Dual threat AJ might be a better runner but Stevens might be a slightly better passer.

Deleted member 631370

D

As a Penn Stater as well as an Illini, the book on Stevens is this: very big, very athletic, very fast. But very injury-prone. And he's more Nick Fitzgerald than Trace McSorley. He's run-first, and while he CAN throw downfield, it seems like his first instinct is to tuck and run.

A lot of PSU fans -- myself included -- were hoping that Sean Clifford would win the job this spring for that reason (Clifford is less mobile, but a far better passer). It appears that's what happened or is happening. Whatever the case, Tommy has potential to be a great QB if he stays healthy and gets offensive line protection.

As a Penn Stater as well as an Illini, the book on Stevens is this: very big, very athletic, very fast. But very injury-prone. And he's more Nick Fitzgerald than Trace McSorley. He's run-first, and while he CAN throw downfield, it seems like his first instinct is to tuck and run.

A lot of PSU fans -- myself included -- were hoping that Sean Clifford would win the job this spring for that reason (Clifford is less mobile, but a far better passer). It appears that's what happened or is happening. Whatever the case, Tommy has potential to be a great QB if he stays healthy and gets offensive line protection.
Which team's your favorite?

Deleted member 631370

D
Which team's your favorite?

Did my undergrad at Illinois, one of my grad programs at Penn State. But grew up a Penn State football fan during the 90s (and remember vividly the '94 game and "the drive"). Illinois basketball is my #1. Penn State football #2. Illinois football #3. Couldn't care less about PSU hoops.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Wonder if bringing in another QB, even a 5th year QB, will lead to one of the younger QBs to transfer (Robinson, Rivers, Taylor). Stevens would come in and assume the starter role, Williams is likely to get a serious look at QB at the very least, could see one of them to decide to move on for a better opportunity. One of them leaving regardless would make sense, just might happen earlier if a 5th year QB is brought in.

Deleted member 631370

D
Wonder if bringing in another QB, even a 5th year QB, will lead to one of the younger QBs to transfer (Robinson, Rivers, Taylor). Stevens would come in and assume the starter role, Williams is likely to get a serious look at QB at the very least, could see one of them to decide to move on for a better opportunity. One of them leaving regardless would make sense, just might happen earlier if a 5th year QB is brought in.

It's a valid question. My thoughts.

In the age of the transfer portal, transfers are going to be the norm. That's just the way it's going to be. S

Williams isn't going anywhere. The reins are his in 2020, in all likelihood. And starting in the Big Ten as a true freshman is not the norm. He should know that. Lovie and crew will need to find a way to get him on the field without necessarily lining him up as the starting QB. Bring him in for some wildcat snaps. Line him up in the backfield or out wide. Run some trick plays with him involved.

Could Rivers transfer? Possible. But doesn't he have some off-the-field issues to take care of?

Could Taylor transfer? Possible. But what are we expecting from him over the long run? Hard to say at this point, and I wouldn't lose sleep over a current 3rd string QB transferring. Too many things happen over the course of a year or two.

Stevens -- or somebody comparable -- probably gives this team at least 1 or 2 extra wins. Could be the difference between 4/5 wins and 6 wins. And momentum is really important. Even if taking Stevens sacrifices QB depth down the road, it's worth it if it gets us back into the bowl picture this year.

Stevens -- or somebody comparable -- probably gives this team at least 1 or 2 extra wins. Could be the difference between 4/5 wins and 6 wins. And momentum is really important. Even if taking Stevens sacrifices QB depth down the road, it's worth it if it gets us back into the bowl picture this year.

100% accurate. Those extra 2 wins and bowl eligibility are the investment, and all of the returns on that investment come in recruiting. Our sell to these guys to come here gets so much easier. If we can win now, we need to win now. The last 2 years were us building towards the future and it’s time to start seeing it.

I think taking 3 qbs in one class will eventually lead to at least 1 transfer anyways, we could say this before even arriving on campus. My hope is they all stay. Seems like there will be multiple starters each year

Not trying to start rumors but I heard it’s not good for MJ right now. A lot of business to take care of.

Deleted member 631370

D
Man I just don't get it some kids wish that had the opportunity to play division 1 ball and kids just take it for granted

I agree with what you're saying, but there are a lot of kids out there that really struggle in the classroom -- and not for lack of caring or effort. I have no idea what MJ's issues are, but if they're academic, it may not necessarily be a case of him not trying hard enough or taking it for granted.

Whatever the case, we could sure use him. But this reinforces the need for nabbing a transfer QB.

audie

The Great Northwest
Man I just don't get it some kids wish that had the opportunity to play division 1 ball and kids just take it for granted
Uh, maybe--just maybe--it's really a lot for some kids to handle. As a teenager, moving to a new community, starting college classes and having a full-time job learning and playing college football and dealing with all the expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.