Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everybody wants top transfers. We have just been the only ones (or one of) that has
been accepted then rebuked this many times. If its happening again, we are doing something
wrong. We cant blame others 4-5 times when we are the only common denominator.

Deleted member 631370

D
So we should turn down 5* TE Luke Ford when he wants to transfer to Illinois.

I think that's a bit of a strawman. I doubt anybody would argue that teams should avoid ALL transfers. I can't think of any teams that do.

But when you're relying almost exclusively on transfers to be competitive at QB, WR, and other positions, that's not ideal. Some years, you may need a lot if you're hit by attrition or whatnot. It happens. But it cannot become a routine.

We'll see if this becomes a routine. We're bringing in an awfully lot of high P5 transfers who didn't really do much at their prior school. Hopefully this year is merely an aberration. It's not a great way to build stability in the program.

A little bit of activity on 247 for Denver Warren. One Michigan expert(?) picking us now.

Denver's offer in good enough status to be a commitment? Chime in here 440 (got to keep you off the BBall recruiting side where I'm getting depressed about Holyfield hopes!)

A little bit of activity on 247 for Denver Warren. One Michigan expert(?) picking us now.

Denver's offer in good enough status to be a commitment? Chime in here 440 (got to keep you off the BBall recruiting side where I'm getting depressed about Holyfield hopes!)
Grades are good offer is commitable but who knows what the next twist will be in Denvers recruiting world. He loves the attention and playing games so the staff might sour on that after awhile.

I think that's a bit of a strawman. I doubt anybody would argue that teams should avoid ALL transfers. I can't think of any teams that do.

But when you're relying almost exclusively on transfers to be competitive at QB, WR, and other positions, that's not ideal. Some years, you may need a lot if you're hit by attrition or whatnot. It happens. But it cannot become a routine.

We'll see if this becomes a routine. We're bringing in an awfully lot of high P5 transfers who didn't really do much at their prior school. Hopefully this year is merely an aberration. It's not a great way to build stability in the program.

People talk about transfers leaving low P5 teams, but it goes both ways. If highly thought of players aren't getting tic with the top schools, here we come. I like it. I can't see why that destabilizes anything. It's a great way to fix a weak area. It seems to me that if you aren't at the top of your league you're going to be more inclined to take transfers.

Last edited:
UCLA has four players, rated at four stars in HS, at the receiver position transferring out. They also have more at other positions. So, were all the sites wrong in their evals and should schools ignore them and just recruit HS players? Even Alabama looks at transfers and has them. There are only so many players to go around and if there is a better one leaving than what your school has cause they do not want to sit behind someone, so what? Schools need to look at the entire player pool they can recruit from.

FT35

Naperville
We never accepted his “commitment” can’t lose something you never had.

He never committed from what I can see. It was his dad who told the LA Times that Matt was coming here.

I'm guessing Illinois just wants to see how the Stevens recruitment plays out. If we can't land Stevens then we'll probably take Fink. That's how it looks from the outside looking in.

FT35

Naperville
My thought process is they brought Fink and Stevens in for a reason (Rod didn't think Tate would be coming). I'm guessing there is still a small chance he comes here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

This. I think this just has to do with letting the Stevens recruitment play out. If Stevens decides to go to Mississippi State then I think Fink ends up here.

Matt never said he was committed here. The story of him committing here simply comes from his dad telling the LA Times that Matt was coming here.

The staff is obviously interested otherwise they wouldn't have had him on campus. There's just a big gap between what Stevens can give us at QB as opposed to Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.