Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the national

the Front Range
Ball's in his court. If he decides to transfer, I'd imagine that we will 100% take him. Slam dunk, no doubt about it. Things may change should Stevens opt for us.
It kinda feels like all of our eggs are in his basket. However, after watching his spring practice interviews, I dont know. I dont think he is coming.

It kinda feels like all of our eggs are in his basket. However, after watching his spring practice interviews, I dont know. I dont think he is coming.

I don’t think all our eggs are in his basket - still feel staff thinks they have Fink in back pocket.

I agree on Tate though. Paid really close attention to AZ football the last few mos - someone made the joke a while back that the most important spring ball this season for Illinois was being played in Tucson and I believe that.

Tate wasn’t in the best spot coming off last year and a lot of questions about his relationship with new staff and on field performance. We really needed to see that relation continue to deteriorate and the OC take favor with their sophomore QB. Tate has 1 year to make a run at NFL and if he believes he isn’t the starter in AZ that would have spurred at a transfer

After spring ball there is really no smoke about relationships anymore. Khalil has been QB1 throughout. And that sophomore didn’t run away with the “backup is the most popular QB in town” title. If he is clear starter now I just can’t see how he risks that to leave where he’s been for 4 years to come across the country with the questions around our WR and general team strength. Yes he had a great year with Rod Smith, but i think there are just as many risks, probably more, for him to come to UI than stick in AZ.

Hope I’m wrong

I don’t think all our eggs are in his basket - still feel staff thinks they have Fink in back pocket.

I agree on Tate though. Paid really close attention to AZ football the last few mos - someone made the joke a while back that the most important spring ball this season for Illinois was being played in Tucson and I believe that.

Tate wasn’t in the best spot coming off last year and a lot of questions about his relationship with new staff and on field performance. We really needed to see that relation continue to deteriorate and the OC take favor with their sophomore QB. Tate has 1 year to make a run at NFL and if he believes he isn’t the starter in AZ that would have spurred at a transfer

After spring ball there is really no smoke about relationships anymore. Khalil has been QB1 throughout. And that sophomore didn’t run away with the “backup is the most popular QB in town” title. If he is clear starter now I just can’t see how he risks that to leave where he’s been for 4 years to come across the country with the questions around our WR and general team strength. Yes he had a great year with Rod Smith, but i think there are just as many risks, probably more, for him to come to UI than stick in AZ.

Hope I’m wrong

The flip side to this is that if Tate stays and starts a handful of games at the beginning of the season and has one bad game, he will be replaced. The Wildcat forum I was reading, a lot of fans wants to go with the Soph. QB now. Would he take a chance if Lovie and Rod get another quality WR transfer? IMHO, he would seriously take a hard look at the ILLINI. It's a risk either way.

I'm guessing no graduate transfer QB chooses Illinois. Probably Matt for the first few games, then Isaiah.

I'm guessing no graduate transfer QB chooses Illinois. Probably Matt for the first few games, then Isaiah.

IW surprising would be the best outcome for sure. He has all the intangibles of a “winner” that need to be there to shock the world.

Freshman QB has been a bit more impactful in recent years but odds are against it. I feel like with the Lawerence, Purdy, Fromm, etc they were strong pocket passers with really good weapons around them - even going back years prior the Sam Bradford’s, Colt McCoys, etc that started the freshman QB thing were similar spots and styles. Success seems more feasible with those variables

I was looking for true frosh rushing QBs without great teams and the best comps I could find were RG3 and prob Adrian Martinez. Both their teams weren’t great their frosh years but they had good seasons. If IW had that kind of success and production Illini football would be in a great spot

How many of those impact freshman QBs weren't early enrollees? I know Martinez was.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
many schools let you "walk" if you are just one class or two away . That might be his deal. 3 or 4 or 5 credit hours short still.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
many schools let you "walk" if you are just one class or two away . That might be his deal. 3 or 4 or 5 credit hours short still.
That's what I did. Walked in May so I could do the ceremony with all my friends, but still had a summer class to wrap up. Could possibly be the situation with Tate as well.

illini80

Forgottonia
I figured Rivers was transferring because we had signed a transfer QB. I know there were issues involved too, but if we don’t land Stevens it’s going to be really disappointing. I question whether Fink can be at Bush’s level from last year and that left something to be desired. Illinois sports recruiting is not for the faint of heart. Or the sound of mind.🤣

I figured Rivers was transferring because we had signed a transfer QB. I know there were issues involved too, but if we don’t land Stevens it’s going to be really disappointing. I question whether Fink can be at Bush’s level from last year and that left something to be desired. Illinois sports recruiting is not for the faint of heart. Or the sound of mind.🤣

We don’t need aj caliber playing. We need someone that can help win the first 3 games. I think fink is more than capable of winning the first 3 games.

We don’t need aj caliber playing. We need someone that can help win the first 3 games. I think fink is more than capable of winning the first 3 games.
Honestly, if that's all we really want, then I trust Robinson. He's gotten enough first team reps to prove the staff is at least comfortable with the idea of him being our first stringer.

But I don't believe in the narrative of needing a QB for three games. We need a QB for the year. If a QB plays well for the first three games, hes not gonna just start sitting cause IW has magically past this three game barrier and now he the best QB on the roster. Now, if the thought is we need a QB to limp us to a 3-0 record, just to get demolished in the 4th/5th game so we have to force IW out there, then I think this seasons gonna have bigger issues then whos slinging the rock.

We have to hope that a year in the system means that Matt R. can effectively move the football and maybe more importantly, stay healthy.
Until IW gets familiar with the offense and up to big ten speed, (maybe 2020) that's our best shot right now. Maybe I'm just out of orange
Kool-Aid, but I don't see a transfer on the horizon...

We have to hope that a year in the system means that Matt R. can effectively move the football and maybe more importantly, stay healthy.
Until IW gets familiar with the offense and up to big ten speed, (maybe 2020) that's our best shot right now. Maybe I'm just out of orange

There is plenty of more soap opera before the beginning of the season. The coaching staff knows what they are doing.let the process play out. Quiet on this board doesn’t mean no activity.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

No 5th year or graduate senior QB transfer would be very very very disappointing.

you see, according to my wife, evil twins are common plot threads of soap operas.

T
Care to elaborate as to why you are so confident of this?

That was meant to be a hypnotization joke. But I have faith that josh Whitman, rod and Lovie Smith Understand football and are learning the college game. I don’t think they would wait on Fink if they felt he was the guy and they would be substantially worse without him. I think he would contribute and play well and it’s worth the wait on Tate and stevens

Status
Not open for further replies.