Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,126      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Simple question. Who would he be doing this for, you or himself? There is a lot to recruiting and, making a decision in a rush is not a good way to do things. All schools tell you what a great school they are and how badly they need you. I actually leaned towards Stanford before I picked Illinois. It was a really close decision but, Illinois won out simply because I didn't like Stanford's dingy red tops when I went to visit. They actually changed the color the next year, lol. Still red but, not the dingy red. I am hopeful that he picks the school that is the best fit for his desires. I would love for U of I to get the kids that they are going after but, at that age, they do not need to be rushed into a decision.

Well put. As much as I'd love to have Cooper commit (yesterday!), I'd rather have him be dead certain about his decision. Especially, after his Texas dalliance. Other schools are going to woo him until the ink is dry. This pretty much holds for all prospects. They're 18 YOs, impressionable & receiving heavy pitches, left and right.

#1,127      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Well put. As much as I'd love to have Cooper commit (yesterday!), I'd rather have him be dead certain about his decision. Especially, after his Texas dalliance. Other schools are going to woo him until the ink is dry. This pretty much holds for all prospects. They're 18 YOs, impressionable & receiving heavy pitches, left and right.
So... you don't want him to make a verbal commitment because he might de-commit? Call me old school, but I'd much rather have a commitment.

#1,128      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Simple question. Who would he be doing this for, you or himself? There is a lot to recruiting and, making a decision in a rush is not a good way to do things. All schools tell you what a great school they are and how badly they need you. I actually leaned towards Stanford before I picked Illinois. It was a really close decision but, Illinois won out simply because I didn't like Stanford's dingy red tops when I went to visit. They actually changed the color the next year, lol. Still red but, not the dingy red. I am hopeful that he picks the school that is the best fit for his desires. I would love for U of I to get the kids that they are going after but, at that age, they do not need to be rushed into a decision.
I'm really hoping he makes this decision for me. He can tag me on Twitter when he does it. It would mean a lot to me.

#1,129      
So... you don't want him to make a verbal commitment because he might de-commit? Call me old school, but I'd much rather have a commitment.
Just let he take his time. It might be a recruitment like shammond copper were he going wait and see it we improved and if we do did I might just be Illini. He visited Illinois more times than any other school in his top 5 combined.

#1,131      

The way our staff has worked is that they push off kids committing until they’re for sure ready. That’s actually a reason we seem to have less decommits. A commitment is worth nothing if they’re not actually committed. It’s just empty words.

#1,138      
Win 5-7 games and he will be dead certain about his commitment to Illinois.

#1,140      
Win 5-7 games and he will be dead certain about his commitment to Illinois.

I agree. This seems to be one where there is an unspoken understanding if we do our job, he’ll be here. He should enjoy the process and feel out the blue bloods in the event the tracks fall off here

Generally speaking I’d like a commit over a non commit, but this one recruitment it could help. With 4 blue bloods in the mix they have to recruit against each other rather than all of them spending their time and energy only negative recruiting Illinois to get him to flip. We are guaranteed to be in his final 2 - it is a great spot to be

#1,144      

FT35

Naperville
Man I really hope lovie offers tj rush from trinity. This kid wants to be here. You want kids that want to be here. And he can be a good backup option in case we don't flip Antonio Johnson.

I don't get why we haven't offered Rush either? It doesn't seem like we're recruiting many realistic LBs or DBs in this class. The focus seems to be on DTs, DEs, WRs and OL.

#1,146      
Man I really hope lovie offers tj rush from trinity. This kid wants to be here. You want kids that want to be here. And he can be a good backup option in case we don't flip Antonio Johnson.
I don't get why we haven't offered Rush either? It doesn't seem like we're recruiting many realistic LBs or DBs in this class. The focus seems to be on DTs, DEs, WRs and OL.
The staff also wants big 10 quality players....which TJ could be but the staff is going to see if he can become a little more consistent before they offer.

#1,148      

Deleted member 654622

D
Quick note on Antonio Johnson, for those of us that are still holding out hope we will land him after we go bowling this year. On the Werner show, he mentioned that not only did he make an unofficial visit to IL even after the 7v7 was rained out, he brought his whole family with him.
Now one could make the argument that they were already planning on watching him play anyways. But I am ignoring that fact for my comfort. I still think we get him

Status
Not open for further replies.