Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,151      
He is 6'1", 200 lbs. Isn't he more of a candidate to play safety?

#1,157      
1561129408390.png

As much as I hate Fleck (which, honestly, is a lot) you can't deny that for whatever reason he connects well with impressionable recruits. I'd feel a lot more confident about this 2020 class if we had half as many as Minnesota does right now.

#1,158      
View attachment 4578

As much as I hate Fleck (which, honestly, is a lot) you can't deny that for whatever reason he connects well with impressionable recruits. I'd feel a lot more confident about this 2020 class if we had half as many as Minnesota does right now.
Is it cause he relates well with them or because s the end of the visit he has them in a room and gives them 15 minutes to commit? There is a reason a lot these kids won’t sign with minny....

#1,159      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Is it cause he relates well with them or because s the end of the visit he has them in a room and gives them 15 minutes to commit? There is a reason a lot these kids won’t sign with minny....

Some of these commits are merely placeholders. Fleck's high pressure tactics are going to end up hurting him, IMO. As well they should.

#1,160      

Yep. Seems like they only land guys after their big recruiting weekends. If you're a HS kid that wants to keep Minnesota open as an option you're better off committing and keeping the offer on the table at least. Gopher fans are fed up with the amount of de-commits, this is why.

#1,161      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I remember reading an article where a recruit described the time share sales tactic Fleck uses at the end of visits.

There may have even been an hour glass involved...but my recollection of the article is fuzzy.

#1,162      
I remember reading an article where a recruit described the time share sales tactic Fleck uses at the end of visits.

There may have even been an hour glass involved...but my recollection of the article is fuzzy.

This is the article you are referring to. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...says-pj-fleck-would-text-him-every-30-minutes

Say what you want, but even if HALF his commits end up reneging, his class would still be 3x the size of ours. I honestly would be fascinated to know what some of the intimidation and pressure-applying tactics he uses are (from recruits, not just our speculating).

#1,163      

Deleted member 654622

D
Its not the size of your recruiting class, its how you use it....

Ill take what we are "trending toward" over what they have now.

#1,164      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This is the article you are referring to. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...says-pj-fleck-would-text-him-every-30-minutes

Say what you want, but even if HALF his commits end up reneging, his class would still be 3x the size of ours. I honestly would be fascinated to know what some of the intimidation and pressure-applying tactics he uses are (from recruits, not just our speculating).

Let's save the comparisons of the respective 2020 classes until the dust has settled.

#1,168      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Looking at the info on 247, Minnesota had 8 de-commits last year. That number seems like even more than I expected, but three of these include two kids who enrolled early and have decided to transfer (not a decommitment) and Bargy, who last I heard had serious felony charge pending (any update on this?).

Not an excuse, but three of the other commitments are recruits that got offers from prominent programs and immediately de-committed (two to Oregon, one to Texas). Not to make excuses, but these type of things happen to lower level P5 programs every year and are not a symptom of Fleck's recruiting approach.

Does Fleck's recruiting approach increase decommitments? Sure, just not sure the decommitment trend works in Illinois' favor. Interpret as you wish.

#1,170      
Both Lovie and Fleck would sleep in a injured players hospital room the difference is Lovie would not need a camera to be running Fleck would.
Absolutely spot on. Fleck means we’ll but he is a big look at me doing a good thing kind of guy.

#1,171      

Deleted member 29907

D
Looking at the info on 247, Minnesota had 8 de-commits last year. That number seems like even more than I expected, but three of these include two kids who enrolled early and have decided to transfer (not a decommitment) and Bargy, who last I heard had serious felony charge pending (any update on this?).

Not an excuse, but three of the other commitments are recruits that got offers from prominent programs and immediately de-committed (two to Oregon, one to Texas). Not to make excuses, but these type of things happen to lower level P5 programs every year and are not a symptom of Fleck's recruiting approach.

Does Fleck's recruiting approach increase decommitments? Sure, just not sure the decommitment trend works in Illinois' favor. Interpret as you wish.
It's commonly referred to as "buyer's remorse". Kid gets all hyped up with the sales pitch, and then reality sets in with the incessant crap pitch it just too much to endure.

#1,172      
Quick note on Antonio Johnson, for those of us that are still holding out hope we will land him after we go bowling this year. On the Werner show, he mentioned that not only did he make an unofficial visit to IL even after the 7v7 was rained out, he brought his whole family with him.
Now one could make the argument that they were already planning on watching him play anyways. But I am ignoring that fact for my comfort. I still think we get him
Didnt he comit to Tennessee? Or are you talking about flipping him?

#1,173      

Deleted member 654622

D
Didnt he comit to Tennessee? Or are you talking about flipping him?
Yes he committed to Tennessee already and I am talking about the possibility of him flipping if he sees a good product on the field. Much like the Mookie situation

#1,174      
Are these kids looking younger or am I just getting older?
Older. Last time I was on campus I wondered why all the junior high kids were there. It slowly dawned on me that they were freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.