Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,204      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I wonder how much of the offer inflation is kids/parents/coaches truly trying to raise their stock by deliberately saying they have offers they don’t have...

As opposed to an Alabama coach saying to a kid “we want you at Bama” but not extending an official offer and it being taken the wrong way.

Do any St Louis area kids have (false?) Bama offers? I wonder if this is pointed at someone.

#1,205      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Looks like the father of Travion Ford responded to the tweet claiming he has an offer. Ford looks to have a lot of legit offers, so one from Bama seems in line.

#1,207      
I wonder how much of the offer inflation is kids/parents/coaches truly trying to raise their stock by deliberately saying they have offers they don’t have...

As opposed to an Alabama coach saying to a kid “we want you at Bama” but not extending an official offer and it being taken the wrong way.

Do any St Louis area kids have (false?) Bama offers? I wonder if this is pointed at someone.

I imagine it’s more confusing than that. The offer board probably has the top talent they are pursuing with a handful of backup options. They may have other offers out, but haven’t followed up because, barring something unforeseen, they don’t intend to pursue the recruit. It doesn’t have to be about lies, nor does it have to be about deceit. Could just be part of the game. Lovie doesn’t seem to offer everyone, but Beckmann certainly offered everyone in the top 50 with little follow up or interest from the recruits.

#1,209      
NFL link but thought this was an interesting stat in light of all the star rating discussions that happen here:

Eagles roster has more formerly unranked college prospects than 5-star recruits

They have the same number of 2* + unrated as they do 4* + 5* (31 or 34% of the team each). Now, I'm not making the argument the ratings are not useful numbers, and I'm sure the proportion of 5* players that make it is multiples higher than unrated but I was just surprised at how many on the team are unrated. No idea if this is representative of the league overall but would guess Eagles are a bit higher given their analytics-heavy front office.

#1,210      
NFL link but thought this was an interesting stat in light of all the star rating discussions that happen here:

Eagles roster has more formerly unranked college prospects than 5-star recruits

They have the same number of 2* + unrated as they do 4* + 5* (31 or 34% of the team each). Now, I'm not making the argument the ratings are not useful numbers, and I'm sure the proportion of 5* players that make it is multiples higher than unrated but I was just surprised at how many on the team are unrated. No idea if this is representative of the league overall but would guess Eagles are a bit higher given their analytics-heavy front office.

I was actually just talking with a former 5 star quarterback about how hard it is today. He went to a school known for great talent, great teams, in a great conference etc. He was redshirting but people in front of him got hurt and boom he’s in. Unprepared, change of plans, like that. He said he went into his first conference game with 6 plays. He also didn’t end up meshing with his OC and ended up grad transferring out. His coach also got fired even though they won 10 games. So many factors outside his control created circumstances that messed with his progress. It was kinda crazy to hear it.

#1,211      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I was actually just talking with a former 5 star quarterback about how hard it is today. He went to a school known for great talent, great teams, in a great conference etc. He was redshirting but people in front of him got hurt and boom he’s in. Unprepared, change of plans, like that. He said he went into his first conference game with 6 plays. He also didn’t end up meshing with his OC and ended up grad transferring out. His coach also got fired even though they won 10 games. So many factors outside his control created circumstances that messed with his progress. It was kinda crazy to hear it.

QB is the toughest position to project to the college level.

#1,215      

Deleted member 654622

D
AJ Henning just committed to Michigan. Not really a surprise.
Disappointing. To be competitive, we need to win more of these battles than we are winning. Not giving up, but would have liked henning or van ness or harper, etc.
Disappointed is appropriate. But there is a lot of talent still out there we are still in on. It can still be a really good class. POTENTIAL

#1,216      
Disappointed is appropriate. But there is a lot of talent still out there we are still in on. It can still be a really good class. POTENTIAL
I don't get why people are so concerned about having 3 commits. Still could be a good class and lovie doesn't push for commitments right away

#1,217      

Deleted member 654622

D
I don't get why people are so concerned about having 3 commits. Still could be a good class and lovie doesn't push for commitments right away
I understand, people are anxious. Some would feel better with the Min strat of just take what you can get now and be done. Me, no. We should have all known, if this is going to be a really good recruiting class, as in another step up from last year, we are going to have to show it on the field for at least the first 3 games. It is the most realistic lane to that outcome. Right now, we are that 2am booty call. And it isn't going to change until we start winning

#1,219      
Or maybe this:

D-AlOyrUwAESSJg.png

Stolen from Steve on Twitter

#1,220      

illini80

Forgottonia
I understand, people are anxious. Some would feel better with the Min strat of just take what you can get now and be done. Me, no. We should have all known, if this is going to be a really good recruiting class, as in another step up from last year, we are going to have to show it on the field for at least the first 3 games. It is the most realistic lane to that outcome. Right now, we are that 2am booty call. And it isn't going to change until we start winning

I LOL'd at that one. A pretty apt description unfortunately. They know we will be there if the hot girl doesn't work out.

#1,221      

Deleted member 654622

D
I LOL'd at that one. A pretty apt description unfortunately. They know we will be there if the hot girl doesn't work out.
100%
What we need to do, is get our fat ace in the gym, hit some squats, get a degree, and the dudes will start calling us for 7pm dates

#1,224      

Deleted member 654622

D
I'm kinda getting a bad feeling about JSJ, a lot of Mizzou noise recently. Am I overreacting?
We have three commitments.....no your not overreacting. Not saying he is picking MIZ. Just saying you are in the right if that is your mental state

Status
Not open for further replies.