Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,251      

Deleted member 654622

D
We should hold off freaking out until we know what’s going on with Mookie, Moore, and Arinze(need to land 2/3). However it’s a little concerning we’re not making much surface progress with our OL recruits
It intrigues me how good we have been in bringing in DL talent. It is the most important position in Lovie's defense by far so that is a good thing.
It might not be a bad plan to fill the roster at the end of the class with boys that might not be highly rated, but have the frame to be impactful in 3 years. Until then, keep grabbing transfers. They seem to be getting good at it...

#1,253      
I think that what the recruit sees is different than record. I think they are hearing narratives and deciding which narrative they want to believe. Shammond is a prime example. You can't tell me that he was looking at the record or on field product when he committed. Because neither were impressive. There were narratives that he bought into. Most recruits will still believe that Lovie is turning the program around in 2021, especially with a contract extension. Some people are watching the record, but I wouldn't count on record being the indicator that most recruits look for.
I think the most valuable commodity Lovie has to offer is playing time right out of the chute. Versus sitting on the bench for 2 or 3 years at OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc.

#1,254      
I'm guessing Lovie has learned he can continue to recruit his own way, and fill the gaps with transfers. The world's a changin'. Having a bust H.S. recruiting class no longer means that year's haul of talent will be a bust.
I compare what Lovie is doing to the same formula that Mike White followed in the early '80's. White brought in a lot of JUCO transfers and turned the program around. Granted that only lasted about four or five years, but it kick-started a program that was in a very similar position at the time. From '81-'85 we were a 6+ win team with a Big Ten title in '83. I know....completely different era...and yes, White's alleged recruiting violations got the school into trouble later on. But, the point is if the transfers that Lovie is bringing in can come close to their potential out of high school, given the opportunity, and mixed with some of our good, young recruits, we have the potential of having some success and at least hitting a bowl.

#1,255      

Deleted member 631370

D
I think the most valuable commodity Lovie has to offer is playing time right out of the chute. Versus sitting on the bench for 2 or 3 years at OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc.

That's a double-edged sword.

Some kids will be drawn to that. For others, it's a red flag. If you have immediate PT available all over your roster, it suggests that you're lacking in talent. Which means that a kid won't be practicing against great talent day in and day out. And it means they're not likely to win much.

The whole "steel sharpens steel" mantra comes to mind. Competition is the greatest way to motivate kids to work harder and get better. And it's a great selling point for talent-rich programs when recruiting other talented kids. Sure, with the exception of the Trevor Lawrence types, most freshman aren't going to step in and start right away. But riding the bench for a year or two and then getting a shot to start for a power program is still viewed as a better option than starting from day 1 on a talent-poor team.

It's a vicious cycle for a losing program.

#1,256      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I compare what Lovie is doing to the same formula that Mike White followed in the early '80's. White brought in a lot of JUCO transfers and turned the program around. Granted that only lasted about four or five years, but it kick-started a program that was in a very similar position at the time. From '81-'85 we were a 6+ win team with a Big Ten title in '83. I know....completely different era...and yes, White's alleged recruiting violations got the school into trouble later on. But, the point is if the transfers that Lovie is bringing in can come close to their potential out of high school, given the opportunity, and mixed with some of our good, young recruits, we have the potential of having some success and at least hitting a bowl.

Very different formula, IMO. White was quick fix, heavily transfer dependent. Smith is focused on HS kids, and plugging holes with transfers.

#1,257      

Deleted member 16340

D
Wouldn't a freshman or sophomore starting cause them to be more vulnerable to career ending injuries? Especially the linemen. Think M Dudek...

#1,258      

Deleted member 631370

D
Wouldn't a freshman or sophomore starting cause them to be more vulnerable to career ending injuries? Especially the linemen. Think M Dudek...

This is merely one anecdote, but it speaks to what you're saying. At Penn State, James Franklin has sold RBs on getting minimal reps that first year, getting more reps in year 2, and then starting by year 3, graduating early, and going pro. Saquon Barkley got thrust into the starting role his freshman year, but that's certainly not the preference. The Miles Sanders example is the model he's looking for -- learn behind some great backs the first few years, have one breakout season as a starter, and go pro early with minimal physical damage.

Miles was the #2 back taken in the NFL draft, and many say it was partly because he only had ~300 or so career touches. He's still fresh.

That model is really attractive to elite level RB recruits, particularly since RBs are likely to cut their pro careers short by getting 800+ carries in college. Ideally, you keep the touches low early, have a big year or two, then bolt while you're still fresh.

Now, that doesn't necessarily apply the same way to linemen and defensive backs and whatnot. But still......there's something to be said for keeping the physical toll light early on until it's time to really shine and make a case for the NFL. Getting thrown out there as a freshman when your counterparts are a few years older isn't ideal.

#1,259      

Find me any high school recruit that has ever said “nah, I’d rather sit my first two years because I might get hurt”.

Dudek was an anomaly. It doesn’t take a doctor to see from his injury history his knees simply couldn’t take it. It had nothing to do with him starting as a freshman.

#1,263      
ah.
Wait to see if we get to 3-0. Nothing matters until then
Is 3-0 supposed to impress people? Obviously losing one of those games would be detrimental, but I don't think winning them buys you much besides having a chance at a bowl game

#1,265      

Deleted member 631370

D
Werner CB for Mookie to OSU. Ugh!

Ryan Day is the hot trend for pass happy offensive recruits. So, I guess it makes sense.

No football recruiting class is about 1 recruit. But given how our class has shaped up to date, Mookie was about as important a recruit as they came. This would be a big miss for this class.

#1,267      

Deleted member 631370

D
Wait is it signing day? Relax

Ohio State is definitely on a roll, recruiting-wise. But boy that could change if Ryan Day has a few slip ups and suddenly shows that he's not up to the task of replacing Urban Meyer. The jury is definitely out on Day, so that could be interesting.

And of course, Lovie could change the minds of some local kids who committed elsewhere if he overachieves this year.

So yeah, a lot can happen between a verbal commitment and signing day. But in general, the team that earns the verbal commitment is, at a minimum, in the driver's seat.

#1,268      

Deleted member 654622

D
Is 3-0 supposed to impress people? Obviously losing one of those games would be detrimental, but I don't think winning them buys you much besides having a chance at a bowl game
It's sounding like Mookie may commit before the season
CP needs to reel his boys back in!
Here is the deal. These St. Louis boys like the coaching staff and the environment at IL. But they are not going to commit to IL if they don't think they have a legit shot at winning. Going 3-0, vs teams that beat B1G teams last year, would not necessarily impress anyone. But it does gives credents to what Lovie and CPatt have been preaching to them.
The Trinity dudes especially like the idea of doing what they did in HS, in college. Turn a program around

#1,269      
Here is the deal. These St. Louis boys like the coaching staff and the environment at IL. But they are not going to commit to IL if they don't think they have a legit shot at winning. Going 3-0, vs teams that beat B1G teams last year, would not necessarily impress anyone. But it does gives credents to what Lovie and CPatt have been preaching to them.
The Trinity dudes especially like the idea of doing what they did in HS, in college. Turn a program around
Yeah that's fine I can buy that, I was just questioning the 3-0 record being significant. I'd argue if that want to see results first, they should just wait a little longer and watch some big ten games.

#1,270      
Wait is it signing day? Relax

Haha, signing day? Nothing is official until then, but I know you're not expecting us to flip several our way at that time.
This class hasn't gone as they planned to this point, but I'm still confident. Probably around 10 of our top remaining recruits will commit before Oct. Not the time for the staff to relax:illinois: I

#1,271      

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah that's fine I can buy that, I was just questioning the 3-0 record being significant. I'd argue if that want to see results first, they should just wait a little longer and watch some big ten games.
I wouldn't disagree. My thought process thinks Lovie/CPatts pitch is, let us show you we are on the uptick. Watch the first three games and see how we have improved over the previous season's first three games. I mean, I don't think they are going to want him/them to wait to see how they do vs. Nebraska or Michigan before they make their decision. Unless they have some big balls

#1,272      
Haha, signing day? Nothing is official until then, but I know you're not expecting us to flip several our way at that time.
This class hasn't gone as they planned to this point, but I'm still confident. Probably around 10 of our top remaining recruits will commit before Oct. Not the time for the staff to relax:illinois: I
Multiple....no but Mookie yes if the progress on the field is shown.

#1,273      
Multiple....no but Mookie yes if the progress on the field is shown.

Can you give us some more insight on where we stand today? Do we have recruits on deck looking to sign by the fall signing day? This is my second year really paying close attention to the recruiting process so I don’t have a feel for what’s normal/expected at this point in the summer.

#1,274      
Can you give us some more insight on where we stand today? Do we have recruits on deck looking to sign by the fall signing day? This is my second year really paying close attention to the recruiting process so I don’t have a feel for what’s normal/expected at this point in the summer.

I hear that mookie will commit with progress

#1,275      

What Big 10 team did UConn beat? They didnt beat anyone other than Rhode Island, and they were probably the worst team in the country last year.

Phil Steele has our OOC opponents ranked 103 (E Michigan), 127 (Akron), and 129 (UConn). We should be able to handle all those teams.

Showing the program is being turned around comes down to winning games in the Big 10 and not getting blown out. This is the year there's not much of an excuse for not taking that next step. We have one of the oldest, most experienced rosters in the Big 10, and the vast majority of these guys were brought in by Lovie.

Recruits are obviously hesitant to commit right now. We need to get to a bowl game, and then recruits will start buying in

Status
Not open for further replies.