Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,276      

Deleted member 654622

D
What Big 10 team did UConn beat? They didnt beat anyone other than Rhode Island, and they were probably the worst team in the country last year.

Phil Steele has our OOC opponents ranked 103 (E Michigan), 127 (Akron), and 129 (UConn). We should be able to handle all those teams.

Showing the program is being turned around comes down to winning games in the Big 10 and not getting blown out. This is the year there's not much of an excuse for not taking that next step. We have one of the oldest, most experienced rosters in the Big 10, and the vast majority of these guys were brought in by Lovie.

Recruits are obviously hesitant to commit right now. We need to get to a bowl game, and then recruits will start buying in
Seriously dude. Who cares? Let me go ahead and get real specific on the first three opponents. Let me ask, does it really add that much to the point? Going 3-0 vs 2 teams that beat B1G opponents last year and one power 5 team. I don't believe it does.
I don't disagree with any of your points. But your opinion nor mine, means jack spit when it comes to a recruits commitment. You actually think Lovie is saying that to Mookie and others? "You just wait Mookie till we win our 6th game and then commit" or "You just wait Mookie, when we dont get blown out vs Michigan, then youll see"....come on

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,281      
I know people are panicking because the class of dosen't look the best. But that what happened when your recuiting against good power 5 school. One Illinois fan on Twitter said why does Rutgers have more commit then us but have a way worse record. Well look at Rutgers commits most if them have group of 5 offers that can't recuit against then because it bigger, best conference, a better chance to get to the NFL from. But most of our top target are being recruited by power 5 school. I trust this staff evaluation of talent to find diamond in the rough bennett Williams, sidney brown, seth Coleman type. I know it tough but the stuff is going to find away to make it all work

#1,283      

Deleted member 631370

D
I know people are panicking because the class of dosen't look the best. But that what happened when your recuiting against good power 5 school. One Illinois fan on Twitter said why does Rutgers have more commit then us but have a way worse record. Well look at Rutgers commits most if them have group of 5 offers that can't recuit against then because it bigger, best conference, a better chance to get to the NFL from. But most of our top target are being recruited by power 5 school. I trust this staff evaluation of talent to find diamond in the rough bennett Williams, sidney brown, seth Coleman type. I know it tough but the stuff is going to find away to make it all work

The problem is, there is no consolation prize for putting up a good fight -- and losing -- to strong P5 programs.

The only thing that matters is getting commits. Period.

If that means getting under-the-radar kids without big time P5 offers, then that's what a program like Illinois has to do.

Ideally, we get to a point where we can consistently compete with bigger programs for recruits. We're clearly not there yet. Even more so than basketball, CFB recruiting really favors winning teams. In hoops, you'll see several elite prospects go to lesser schools to be "the man" for their 1 year before jumping pro. You don't really see that as much in CFB. It is what it is. We just have to win......and win with a combination of experience, under-the-radar types that outplay their ranking, and perhaps transfers.

But no matter how you slice it, 3 commitments as of 3 July is not a good news story.

#1,291      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
A college decision has become imminent and crystal balls have been swaying toward tOSU.

Unless they sway somewhere else in the next few days there is a high likelihood (not a guarantee) he goes where the CBs are saying.

For now, I’ll assume it’s Ohio State.

#1,292      

TMC999

Not Iowa
Steaks for those who commit before or at the barbecue. Hamburgers for everyone else.
😊
...Lasagna for the walkons, and beans/weenies for anyone who flips to Iowa.

#1,293      

Deleted member 656517

D
A college decision has become imminent and crystal balls have been swaying toward tOSU.

Unless they sway somewhere else in the next few days there is a high likelihood (not a guarantee) he goes where the CBs are saying.

Have faith in our grown up program

#1,294      

Deleted member 654622

D

Sadly this is where I sit currently. Which got me wondering about AHS's role in Mookie's recruitment. You know Corey and Lovie and the ones leading this one. I wonder how that plays with Mookie compared to other programs(where your position coach is not as involved as others)? I could see it as a negative recruiting strategy for other programs

#1,295      
the age old question.... which came first the chicken or the egg.. in the case of recruiting it is always the chicken...
Make progress on the field and the recruits will come. That means 5-6 wins and some close calls against superior
competition.

#1,296      

illini80

Forgottonia
Sadly this is where I sit currently. Which got me wondering about AHS's role in Mookie's recruitment. You know Corey and Lovie and the ones leading this one. I wonder how that plays with Mookie compared to other programs(where your position coach is not as involved as others)? I could see it as a negative recruiting strategy for other programs
I’d guess he is getting some pressure from Ohio State to take the spot before someone else does. Unfortunately we don’t have that kind of pressure to use. Doesn’t mean it’s over, but I feel like this has been a long shot from the start.

#1,299      
No. Not getting recruited by your position coach happens all the time. Coaches recruit certain areas not just their position group.

Status
Not open for further replies.