Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,328      
I sincerely hope Mookie gets playing time his second or third season. OSU has three higher rated wr's in his class. Good luck young man.

#1,330      
OSU disappointing but expected given the insider info the last few weeks.

That video though - gross. Can’t believe the Illini fakeout - surprised they’d throw that in given CPatt relationships and with Love in the video. JSJ with Mizzou gear just makes it feel like this was a video of Illinois losing 2 top targets.

#1,331      

Deleted member 654622

D
OSU disappointing but expected given the insider info the last few weeks.

That video though - gross. Can’t believe the Illini fakeout - surprised they’d throw that in given CPatt relationships and with Love in the video. JSJ with Mizzou gear just makes it feel like this was a video of Illinois losing 2 top targets.
Seriously with the IL fake out????? Maybe we just aren't in the know. But I see it as a slap in the face

#1,334      
It's a stretch to call that a fake out considering it wasn't live streamed and everyone who viewed it already knew his decision. If anything, I saw a lot of guys excited about Illinois football.

#1,339      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I am glad there is plenty of time between now and the signing date for the 2020 class.

The problem is how little time there is between our hypothetical seventh loss and the signing date for the 2020 class.

If we're magically a real football team this fall, things will work themselves out. If this is the end of the line, an empty class is a tricky spot to walk into.

#1,340      

Deleted member 29907

D
Seriously with the IL fake out????? Maybe we just aren't in the know. But I see it as a slap in the face
Real or hidden message it was a crap thing to do either way. Not a good look for us.

Longing for the day when we don't have to put up with this crap. (there, i said "crap" twice).

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,341      
So mookie committed to OSU. BUT HIS RECRUITMENT VIDEO makes no sense.. he says Illinois and the says go bucks.. like teasing us..

#1,344      

Deleted member 236589

D
Mookie and Jalen St. Johns are tooling us, and that's alright. Plenty of other options.
At 17 or 18, they're just having a good time with their moment. Keeping it a secret, trying to make it a surprise, etc...

If people didn't lean on every word and try to decode every phrase these kids make for six months +....there would be no circus and no hurt feelings.

Social media being what it is.....now people care about hats

#1,345      

Deleted member 29907

D
At 17 or 18, they're just having a good time with their moment. Keeping it a secret, trying to make it a surprise, etc...

If people didn't lean on every word and try to decode every phrase these kids make for six months +....there would be no circus and no hurt feelings.

I'm not bent out of shape about it - but one would assume there are adults involved and providing guidance and input. They are, after all, being recruited by adults who are working long hours to get their job done. Show some respect for the adults and the process that's all. Don't show disrespect that then thank GOD.

#1,347      
That video is ridiculous...but the thing that has my panties in a bunch the most is that they call it Illinoise.....like come on man

#1,348      

Deleted member 631370

D

Yep, I think this is a fair assessment.

Most of these kids mean no harm, and I doubt Mookie did. They're enjoying their moment. I generally loathe the influence of social media, combined with the "all about me" tendencies common in this generation. But if you want to blame somebody for the hurt feelings, blame grown a** men who hang onto every word a 17-year-old kid says.

Remember Elijah Thomas and how he strung everybody along? That's becoming more common.......and what else would you expect when grown men shine the spotlight on these kids and worship them from a young age? We are our own enemies in that regard.

Whatever. I'm frustrated with the state of this recruiting class, but certainly not with Mookie's behavior.

#1,349      
The staff is casting a wide net on recruiting. It is way too early to panic. Commitments this early do not always mean much The key for recruiting is for the team to show substantial improvement , like making it to a bowl game.

#1,350      
Not many players are going to wait to see if Illinois wins 6 games when they have better offers. The exceptions are going to be those with close ties to the staff or those who have large offer lists with quality teams. You can look at the guys currently offered and there are maybe 2-3 guys that meet those criteria.

I think we will find out pretty soon which kind of players will fill out this class.

Status
Not open for further replies.