Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Two year transfers are great in theory, the trouble is just that our junior class already exceeds the 25 player limit for adding new players. I think it's only at like 28, which is far from the end of the world, but those are moves that reward 2019 at the expense of 2021, just inherently.

Hot seat coaches are a principal/agent problem, there's no way around it. I don't think Lovie has managed the roster selfishly or irresponsibly, far from it, but his incentives and the incentives of the program vis a vis recruiting are divergent right now. Lovie needs two Dondi Kirby's, the program needs eight Teddy Karras'

I guess we will see where it goes.

If Lovie goes 3-9 and gets fired, I can see the next coach coming in and having a Brohm like first year with lots of upperclassmen on board due to the large senior class along with some talented playmakers sprinkled in here and there.

But that’s a discussion for a different day.

#1,402      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If Lovie goes 3-9 and gets fired, I can see the next coach coming in and having a Brohm like first year with lots of upperclassmen on board due to the large senior class along with some talented playmakers sprinkled in here and there.

Totally agree. The roster and schedule points to good things in 2020. But then of course the miserable pessimist in me starts thinking about what it would mean for a new coach to take that situation and make a first-year mess of things. As you say, a discussion for a different day.

#1,403      
We play both Nebraska and Michigan by Oct 12 - beat both of those team and I would guess (unless total meltdown) Lovie is in an ok spot.
And if Johnnie wins the lottery twice, he will have an ok retirement. Chances, in my view, of winning both are way below 10%.

#1,404      
This is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out, let me throw in a wrinkle say we win 6 or 7 games and Ohio State loses to Michigan and Michigan State and ends up 8-4 were is the needle pointing then

#1,405      

Deleted member 29907

D
And if Johnnie wins the lottery twice, he will have an ok retirement. Chances, in my view, of winning both are way below 10%.
Agree - didn't say the odds were high - just that a key win or two might change the mood re: Lovie regardless of making a bowl game that's all. Low odds, yes, but If IW can come along and surprise early and we can keep a healthy run attack - one can dream.

#1,407      
Serious question with mookie gone to osu what's next for illini recruiting ?
Which big name recruits are we still in on minus mookie and Jalen st john..
I've seen we have a big 2021 qb recruit from Texas coming for another visit..
However I'm wanting to know who were after for this year and next..

#1,408      
Agree - didn't say the odds were high - just that a key win or two might change the mood re: Lovie regardless of making a bowl game that's all. Low odds, yes, but If IW can come along and surprise early and we can keep a healthy run attack - one can dream.
The general consensus with the Michigan qb transfer is that I.w. will appear in 4 games for experience then redshirt.. I myself am hoping he comes in killing it and they have no choice but to start him...

#1,410      

Joe Moore, Singleton & Tyler are 3 who plan to commit soon & we're pushing hard to close. Marcellus Moore & Frenchie may be winding down their recruitment...We could really use their speed. And Nicholson is set to announce soon

There are whispers of an under the radar commit this weekend. Interested to see what the staff does

#1,411      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Joe Moore, Singleton & Tyler are 3 who plan to commit soon & we're pushing hard to close. Marcellus Moore & Frenchie may be winding down their recruitment...We could really use their speed. And Nicholson is set to announce soon

There are whispers of an under the radar commit this weekend. Interested to see what the staff does

Thanks for that. High time to get recruiting rolling. I want to lock up the Marengo track kid soon too.

#1,412      
JSJ is a heavy mizzou lean right now.

#1,413      

Deleted member 654622

D
JSJ is a heavy mizzou lean right now.

There's the door

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,415      

Deleted member 654622

D
Unfortunately not one we should lose or can afford to lose
I honeslty believe there are a lot of players in that area we SHOULD be in on. If a player want to chose Missouri over IL. Peace out. Maybe I am getting crusty in the elder years. I won't blame a kid for going to a big time program or a place with awesome weather. But Missouri?????? If that is what you want, don't let the door hit ya

#1,416      
I honeslty believe there are a lot of players in that area we SHOULD be in on. If a player want to chose Missouri over IL. Peace out. Maybe I am getting crusty in the elder years. I won't blame a kid for going to a big time program or a place with awesome weather. But Missouri?????? If that is what you want, don't let the door hit ya
Not like they haven't been much better than us. I hate Mizzou also but can understand why a stl kid selects them. These kids aren't all in to family...a lot are into winning and getting their piece of the pie...in recent years, that ain't us.

#1,417      
the trouble is just that our junior class already exceeds the 25 player limit for adding new players. I think it's only at like 28, which is far from the end of the world, but those are moves that reward 2019 at the expense of 2021, just inherently.
Come on, at 28, this is more of a risk than a real problem. There is a fair chance it is sorted by normal attrition, past that there are 5th year guys you don’t have to renew, bringing in guys early/late...and when is the last time we were really at the full 85, before handing out some scholarships to existing walk ons. It might limit the opportunity to plug holes with 5th year guys next year, but with that many seniors, not sure you really need or want to add 5th years. In fairness from the last debate on this topic, I would bet the number is a few higher now...guessing it was before Peters and at least 1 of the USC guys, but Bobby likely drops off that list as well. But I still say a very good chance this problem disappears on its own & has zero/near zero impact on 2021 class

#1,422      
I know someone pretty close to me that took an official to Mizzery years ago (James Wilder days) when Powers was the HC. I was told that it was a sh_t show. His host (a DT) was not so clean and upstanding and the campus was far from being welcoming. He did think Powers was an alright coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.