Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,676      
Haven't read the article but is he a 4* ATH playing QB or an actual 4* QB. Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth because we can certainly use him, just curious

I can’t figure this kid out. Looks like he barely played at all last year - was a backup QB (didn’t play other positions) so I assume a QB (not athlete). The starter at Grayson last year wasn’t a college prospect and that program was in turmoil - nationally ranked preseason, but lost a few times, coach resigned, players walked out.

Maybe he camped really well this offseason? I don’t know how you pick up 4*’s barely even taking a snap.

Definitely seems more of a project - not an IW coming in after 4 years as a varsity starter. Any way you spin it though this is huge for momentum - we needed a jolt and a 4* QB from a GA hotbed with OSU and Bama offers looks good

Last edited:
#1,678      

FT35

Naperville
I can’t figure this kid out. Looks like he barely played at all last year - was a backup QB (didn’t play other positions) so I assume a QB (not athlete). The starter at Grayson last year wasn’t a college prospect and that program was in turmoil - nationally ranked preseason, but lost a few times, coach resigned, players walked out.

Maybe he camped really well this offseason? I don’t know how you pick up 4*’s barely even taking a snap.

Definitely seems more of a project - not an IW coming in after 4 years as a varsity starter. Anyway way you spin it though this is huge for momentum - we needed a jolt and a 4* QB from a GA hotbed with OSU and Bama offers looks good

His offers are based on his camp performances after his Sophomore year. You can see from his recruiting timeline that he camped at Alabama and Ohio State and received offers from them that day or shortly after that.

That means these schools had a chance to see him in person and he was able to do the things that they want to see.

He most certainly is a project but one we should all be excited about landing.

#1,679      

Deleted member 654622

D
His offers are based on his camp performances after his Sophomore year. You can see from his recruiting timeline that he camped at Alabama and Ohio State and received offers from them that day or shortly after that.

That means these schools had a chance to see him in person and he was able to do the things that they want to see.

He most certainly is a project but one we should all be excited about landing.
Bro has a .9049 rating with limited time. Our top ranked recruit as of now. Crazy!

#1,681      

Deleted member 654622

D
Bro has a .9049 rating with limited time. Our top ranked recruit as of now. Crazy!
I apologize for replying to myself but that puts us at 87.41 average ranked recruit, behind the big 3 + Wisc and Nebraska in that category.

Frenchie - .9035
Joe Moore - .8925
James Pogorelc -.8800

Not saying the rankings are everything. But if we could land those other 3 soon, that would be some good buzz

#1,684      

Deleted member 236589

D
Man, you gotta be really athletic and an impressive specimen of a high schooler if you can get rated a 4-star prospect and pull in offers from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and Illinois without even starting a high school game. Wow.
Did you just name drop us in with Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State when it comes to receiving big time offers?

#1,694      
So many people complain we don’t have 20 kids on board. But look at our average rank per recruit. I think this could be another good class. This has been a trend for Lovie.
Average ratings of the last couple classes has been sold, but eventually you will need numbers and hope that the average talent doesn't drop off.
The main objective is raise the talent level of your whole roster. Small classes don't impact the overall quality of the team as much as a big one.

#1,695      
buahahahahahahahahahahahahaha................................I just read something funny and can't stop laughing..........................................

#1,696      

Deleted member 654622

D
Average ratings of the last couple classes has been sold, but eventually you will need numbers and hope that the average talent doesn't drop off.
The main objective is raise the talent level of your whole roster. Small classes don't impact the overall quality of the team as much as a big one.
Completely agree with you. However, if the level of transfers we have brought in and blue shirt rules are the reason we are taking smaller classes, our roster talent is taking a much bigger leap

#1,697      

Small or big, are these classes better than the pre-Lovie era?

Besides, what is a small class? Are they not filling the roster every year?

As long as they are filling the roster with better players that is all that matters. ????

#1,698      

Deleted member 631370

D
Small or big, are these classes better than the pre-Lovie era?

Besides, what is a small class? Are they not filling the roster every year?

As long as they are filling the roster with better players that is all that matters. ????

I'd be curious to see what the blue chip ratio is for our roster. That is, what % of our players were 4* recruits or above?

For context, history has shown that you need at least a 50% BCR to win a national title. All the big boy programs usually bat above 50%. Alabama and Ohio State and the like are up in the 70-80% range. But, you'll have Wisconsins and TCUs and Michigan States who will make a run with a lesser BCR %. It happens.

I would imagine that the 2007 team (and some of the subsequent teams) was probably in the 20-30% range -- which is really good for a program like us. That's where we should ideally be. Bring in somewhere from 5-7 blue chip kids each year -- either via recruiting or transfer market.

#1,699      
I'd be curious to see what the blue chip ratio is for our roster. That is, what % of our players were 4* recruits or above?

For context, history has shown that you need at least a 50% BCR to win a national title. All the big boy programs usually bat above 50%. Alabama and Ohio State and the like are up in the 70-80% range. But, you'll have Wisconsins and TCUs and Michigan States who will make a run with a lesser BCR %. It happens.

I would imagine that the 2007 team (and some of the subsequent teams) was probably in the 20-30% range -- which is really good for a program like us. That's where we should ideally be. Bring in somewhere from 5-7 blue chip kids each year -- either via recruiting or transfer market.

Glad you mentioned the transfer market. People need to start giving this serious consideration when talking about recruiting rankings and class sizes. This past portal period alone saw the good guys add what, 4-4* players with more than 1 year of eligibility remaining? That’s game changing and it filters away most of the concern I’d had over only signing 15 freshman this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.