Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,851      
A JC LB from TX named Maureese Wren just decommitted from Mizzou. He is rated as the #1 athlete in JC. Does anybody know if the Illini are in on him? He also follows Beason, Calvin Avery and Hayes-Stoker on Twitter.

On 247, he only had 4 offers??? That can't be right for the #1 athlete in JC, can it? Coming out of HS he was recruited by a lot of programs, even the ILLINI.

#1,852      
This will be a big test for McClain. He got skunked on instate OL recruits Skoronski (NW) 4*, Elsbury (Iowa) 3*, Harper (oregon) 3*, Barrett (Wisconsin) 3*, Wesley (Vanderbilt) 3*, Spraggins (Tennessee...for a while after he gets his schollie taken away after Antonio Johnson defected), not to mention ST John from Trinity. Hey, 0 for 7 for "home territory" OL doesn't get you a contract renewal unless Lovie likes you...)

McClain's "home territory" was supposed to be the Va and NC. If he can't get decent players from there how we can keep him and improve the OL? Pogorelc from Va committing would at least show he could recruit SOMEBODY! If not, perhaps he just isn't suited to P5 OL recruiting. For what we pay staff, we should be able to do better....
He only loss on 3 of those dude as an offensive line coach.

#1,853      

Deleted member 654622

D
This will be a big test for McClain. He got skunked on instate OL recruits Skoronski (NW) 4*, Elsbury (Iowa) 3*, Harper (oregon) 3*, Barrett (Wisconsin) 3*, Wesley (Vanderbilt) 3*, Spraggins (Tennessee...for a while after he gets his schollie taken away after Antonio Johnson defected), not to mention ST John from Trinity. Hey, 0 for 7 for "home territory" OL doesn't get you a contract renewal unless Lovie likes you...)

McClain's "home territory" was supposed to be the Va and NC. If he can't get decent players from there how we can keep him and improve the OL? Pogorelc from Va committing would at least show he could recruit SOMEBODY! If not, perhaps he just isn't suited to P5 OL recruiting. For what we pay staff, we should be able to do better....

Pogorelc is more than likely going to Syracuse, the team that won 10 games last year. To be a player here shows McClain's work. I would almost bet he has offered/done more recruiting in his short time here than Butkus did in a two full calendar years.
He landed Marcus Harper. Cant be shocked that a Chicago recruit was immediately jumped on with negativity about a down program.
Spraggins…..come on. You know how shady that situation was
St. John, ILL wasn't even in the running anymore until McClain got involved. Obviously it was to late.

I personally am sick of hearing about in state kids. The staff put in work on in state kids, and they went elsewhere. Then HS coaches want to complain about the staff going out of state to get talent...Go get who wants to be here. McClain is doing that

#1,854      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

The Anywhere But Illinois force is strong in our home territory. Very strong. You didn't expect McClain to turn that around in short order, did you?

#1,862      

Deleted member 649710

D
Yes. Unless he's just a student here it should be Sydney Brown's brother Chase. He's already enrolled for the fall semester.

His Twitter profile already says that he's at UIUC so I don't think it's a secret.

https://twitter.com/chasebrown____

Yep. Chase Brown. Transfer from Western Michigan. Played every game as a freshman last season, averaged 5 yards/carry. Was the #3 option in a pretty decent running attack. I presume he will need to sit out the year. Could be a nice depth pick-up.

#1,863      
On 247, he only had 4 offers??? That can't be right for the #1 athlete in JC, can it? Coming out of HS he was recruited by a lot of programs, even the ILLINI.
I know- I was thinking the same thing about why he only has 4 offers. He was originally committed to Arkansas out of high school, so you know the kid has talent. Either 247 is wrong about the current number of scholarship offers, or there is more to this kid's story.

#1,864      

Deleted member 654622

D
Sounds like a toss up to me but I liked the part where he said that Cory is the college coach he has bonded with the most.

What stuck out to me is how he talked about comfort with the coaching staffs. He said he needs to know the coaching staff has his back. If he gets injured, he needs to know they wont just run over him..... Maybe its my orange glasses, but that seemed pretty specific toward a situation at Illinois

#1,865      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
BTW, Minnesota is up to 23 commits in this class. They are just waiting on Moore and Kaden Johnson.

Knowing Fleck, am pretty sure he's actively recruiting over his commits (the bottom guys, anyway). Will be interesting to see how many of the original group go elsewhere.

#1,866      
Sounds like a toss up to me but I liked the part where he said that Cory is the college coach he has bonded with the most.

BTW, Minnesota is up to 23 commits in this class. They are just waiting on Moore and Kaden Johnson.
The thing that stuck out to me is where it mentions that he wants coaching staff who has his back and gave a very specific example of getting hurt and the coaches still being there for him.

If that doesn't have Bobby Roundtree treatment written all over it. #illinigoggles

#1,867      
20190731.gif

Just biding my time, trying to be patient.

#1,868      

Deleted member 654622

D
What stuck out to me is how he talked about comfort with the coaching staffs. He said he needs to know the coaching staff has his back. If he gets injured, he needs to know they wont just run over him..... Maybe its my orange glasses, but that seemed pretty specific toward a situation at Illinois
The thing that stuck out to me is where it mentions that he wants coaching staff who has his back and gave a very specific example of getting hurt and the coaches still being there for him.

If that doesn't have Bobby Roundtree treatment written all over it. #illinigoggles

Status
Not open for further replies.