Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
No, it does not. The kid has played three games of football. Three. Only one of which against a decent team (Providence Catholic, who stomped Morgan Park). This kid must have NFL level athleticism, because why else would you offer a kid who has played for less than two months? Who on staff has even seen this kid play? They all were in Connecticut in the weekend MP played PC.
Big bodied basketball player with limited football experience DOES fit.
Lou Dorsey
Seth Coleman
Kieth Randolph
The freshman Texas WR not named Casey
Those are just dudes off the top of my head

Lou Dorsey
Seth Coleman
Kieth Randolph
Preach!

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Lou Dorsey
Seth Coleman
Kieth Randolph
Tony Gonzalez?

Tony Gonzalez?

Uh, not sure what you’re driving that with this reference but it most certainly does not apply. Tony González started playing football at a young age and was a consensus HS All American.

Perhaps you mean Antonio Gates (Which still doesn’t apply).

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Uh, not sure what you’re driving that with this reference but it most certainly does not apply. Tony González started playing football at a young age and was a consensus HS All American.

Perhaps you mean Antonio Gates (Which still doesn’t apply).
I knew Gonzalez was more known for Bball. I appreciate the correction.

Marcus Pollard?

An equally invalid comparison.

Not sure why everyone is going through this exercise to begin with, comparisons to random players who meet limited criteria is a waste of our time. You need to watch Key play to decide who he is or who he can be. Nothing more, nothing less.

Deleted member 649710

D
None of those guys started playing football as a HS senior after an unremarkable hoops career and got a P5 offer after 3 games against questionable competition. IIRC, Randolph was a leader on a team that won consecutive state titles in hoops; Coleman had played for several years, but took his junior year off to focus on hoops. After a whole two months in the sport, who knows whether Key has the drive to do what it takes to be a successful football player? But fine, whatever, I think it’s a ridiculous way to spend a ride, but opinions can vary. Won’t much matter unless the Illini BEAT NEBRASKA.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of those guys started playing football as a HS senior after an unremarkable hoops career and got a P5 offer after 3 games against questionable competition. IIRC, Randolph won a state title in hoops. Does this kid have the desire to even commit to what it takes to be a successful football player? But fine, whatever, I think it’s a ridiculous way to spend a ride, but opinions can vary.

It’s only ridiculous if we have clearly superior options. Otherwise, it’s a simple analysis of risk vs. reward, which is perfectly reasonable.

No, it does not. The kid has played three games of football. Three. Only one of which against a decent team (Providence Catholic, who stomped Morgan Park). This kid must have NFL level athleticism, because why else would you offer a kid who has played for less than two months? Who on staff has even seen this kid play? They all were in Connecticut in the weekend MP played PC.

Chris James is the coach at MP :illinois: . He's kept the staff well informed on Key & his progress. He's raw of course, but plenty of talent there.

Deleted member 654622

D

tumblr_lys3fdAlTn1qlfn3ro8_r1_250.gif

That's a man amongst boys

I see per 247 that Kaevion Mack has an Iowa offer. Balance of his offer list not too impressive (but a couple of those directional Michigan teams that have beaten us in the last 3 years that I won't mention). Ranked in that 1000 - 1100 range. I know we don't want to be caught up in the offer-my-friend-or-else game, but seems within our reasonable range for an offer. Any insight? Too many RB's already?

I see per 247 that Kaevion Mack has an Iowa offer. Balance of his offer list not too impressive (but a couple of those directional Michigan teams that have beaten us in the last 3 years that I won't mention). Ranked in that 1000 - 1100 range. I know we don't want to be caught up in the offer-my-friend-or-else game, but seems within our reasonable range for an offer. Any insight? Too many RB's already?

We’re not spending one of our few remaining scholarships on a RB. We’ve got a firm commitment from Reggie Love.

Mack will be playing as a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.