Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dude posted that he was comitting at 5 pm with a link to crystal ball..
I'm liking Graham the more I see on him...
His track highlights are impressive...
Runs the 100 m in 10.7... that come out to 9.35 yards per second so his 40 time should be in the neighborhood of 4.6 ish..

@Dude posted that he was comitting at 5 pm with a link to crystal ball..

I reached out to my guy and he said “news to me”, I haven’t seen it reported anywhere either.

Probably not important either way, however, as it sounds like Graham is firmly in our camp.

Graham initially tweeted his gommitment at 5, the staff said they want him to visit first. So I’m guessing they aren’t ready yet.

I'm liking Graham the more I see on him...
His track highlights are impressive...
Runs the 100 m in 10.7... that come out to 9.35 yards per second so his 40 time should be in the neighborhood of 4.6 ish..

A human being reaches top speed at about 45m. The other 55m in a 100m dash is all deceleration and depends on strength, form, and stride length. Doing the 9.35 yds per second conversion is inaccurate. A 10.7 runner is likely going to be a 4.4-5 guy. I was a 4.6 runner in high school but only ran an 11.2 100m.

Sorry, not here to be snarky. I'm just a track coach 😁

A human being reaches top speed at about 45m. The other 55m in a 100m dash is all deceleration and depends on strength, form, and stride length. Doing the 9.35 yds per second conversion is inaccurate. A 10.7 runner is likely going to be a 4.4-5 guy. I was a 4.6 runner in high school but only ran an 11.2 100m.

Thanks for the info lol I was just doing numbers off top of my head.. but makes sense.. plus I'll take a 4.4. Or 4.5 all day

alamocityillini

San Antonio

The world record for 50 meters is 5.56 seconds. The world record for 100 meters is 10.49 seconds. It takes a while to accelerate and the second half of a 100 meter race is the fastest.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
You are right. 9.56 seconds is the 100 meter record held ny Usain Bolt.. The 50 meter record is held by Donovan Bailey in 5.56 seconds. The second half a 100 meters is definitely faster than the first half.
I feel like that's pretty obvious considering in that first 50m you're accelerating from a standstill. I don't think that means that you don't reach top speed at 45m, in fact, it probably supports it. It's just a matter of how much you slow down over that last 55m from your top speed that determines your time, but it's always going to be faster than the first 50m unless something went really wrong.

You are right. 9.56 seconds is the 100 meter record held ny Usain Bolt.. The 50 meter record is held by Donovan Bailey in 5.56 seconds. The second half a 100 meters is definitely faster than the first half.

I should have been more technical. There is a "top speed phase" of about 10-20m depending on the athlete that can be maintained after you hit the first 30-40m. This is why if you split it in half the 2nd half is faster usually. Some athletes are great starters and have a faster 1st half though. But there is definitely deceleration in the second half for about the last 15m.

And that 50m record is from 1996. It would be crushed if more 100m athletes (like Bolt) actually cared to compete in it during international meets and indoor meets.

Anways... let's get more fast recruits 😎

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I'm assuming the likelihood of landing Antonio Johnson increases (hopefully, a lot), if we land Powell. Thoughts?

Deleted member 656517

D
Powell would be an outstanding pick up. Kid’s a tough ball player that could probably play anywhere you put him. Seal the deal Lovie and Company

Status
Not open for further replies.