Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,178      
Ah, you are correct. I misread it. That would be correct, 2 years of eligibility with a RS remaining.

He may RS and that's not a bad idea.
If he sat out 2018 in JC, he has already use his redshirt year.

#1,181      
Okay, someone had posted that he sat out at JC in 2018. My mistake.

No worries, his background is a little hazy and there's not much "out there" to reference.

I actually think redshirting him would be ideal.

#1,182      
There are two requirements to a horrible team having a successful rebuild.

1. Start to win,
2. Be competitive in your losses against good teams.

I think we finally saw number 2 yesterday.
Urban Meyer was on TV saying there were only two main things you needed to rebuild a program; momentum and recruiting. After four long years we have the first. I'm not so sure about the second. We'll see thing December and February....

#1,183      
Urban Meyer was on TV saying there were only two main things you needed to rebuild a program; momentum and recruiting. After four long years we have the first. I'm not so sure about the second. We'll see thing December and February....

Urban Meyer was talking about rebuilding a program. The first step of rebuilding is complete (field a competitive roster and win games). Our recruiting has shown us to be competitive in the Big Ten as the year closes out. The next phase of rebuilding, which we will be going through now, is leveling out the classes and making it past the first phase of graduations. After next year, we will lose most of our experience. We will need to keep the culture and stay competitive. In doing so, we will also need to level out the classes.The staff qualified for a bowl game this year. Barring any major setback, we should qualify for a bowl game again. Then we lose 30 seniors. If Lovie and company can (keep momentum) and maintain the culture while moving through the downturn associated with losing (and level out the recruiting classes), we should be able to win games and successfully complete the rebuild. Once we are at that phase, we will be looking for whats next, which is winning 8-10 games consistently (essentially being like Iowa-caliber program). To get to Michigan/Ohio State level, recruiting will need a serious uptick. We will need to sign classes with mostly 4 and 5 star recruits, not relying on under-ranked diamonds in the rough. Getting through the rebuild year in 2021 successfully is what I am looking at next. Our recruiting is good enough for that, but can we keep the momentum through a down year?

#1,184      
Urban Meyer was talking about rebuilding a program. The first step of rebuilding is complete (field a competitive roster and win games). Our recruiting has shown us to be competitive in the Big Ten as the year closes out. The next phase of rebuilding, which we will be going through now, is leveling out the classes and making it past the first phase of graduations. After next year, we will lose most of our experience. We will need to keep the culture and stay competitive. In doing so, we will also need to level out the classes.The staff qualified for a bowl game this year. Barring any major setback, we should qualify for a bowl game again. Then we lose 30 seniors. If Lovie and company can (keep momentum) and maintain the culture while moving through the downturn associated with losing (and level out the recruiting classes), we should be able to win games and successfully complete the rebuild. Once we are at that phase, we will be looking for whats next, which is winning 8-10 games consistently (essentially being like Iowa-caliber program). To get to Michigan/Ohio State level, recruiting will need a serious uptick. We will need to sign classes with mostly 4 and 5 star recruits, not relying on under-ranked diamonds in the rough. Getting through the rebuild year in 2021 successfully is what I am looking at next. Our recruiting is good enough for that, but can we keep the momentum through a down year?

Starting to sound more like me every day.

The 2023 timeframe will certainly be crucial for us for obvious reasons but being 4 cycles away, it’s tough to put that in the windshield. I’ve only even seen/heard vague profiles of 2022 kids, never mind 2023. We’ve got a long mountain before we get to that.

As we stand today, recruiting has been absolutely phenomenal for us. Phenomenal. I could not be more pleased with the efforts from last cycle to next (2021) cycle. We are on the right path.

#1,185      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

The 2023 timeframe will certainly be crucial for us for obvious reasons but being 4 cycles away, it’s tough to put that in the windshield. I’ve only even seen/heard vague profiles of 2022 kids, never mind 2023. We’ve got a long mountain before we get to that.

As we stand today, recruiting has been absolutely phenomenal for us. Phenomenal. I could not be more pleased with the efforts from last cycle to next (2021) cycle. We are on the right path.
I trust your opinion over mine, in regards to what is going on. I hope you are right.

#1,186      

I trust your opinion over mine, in regards to what is going on. I hope you are right.

I'm with @Illwinsagain here. I trust @Twangers' insight and knowledge.

#1,196      
If he has one year left, we won't take him. We are looking for kids wth at least two years left.

He’ll have 3 but it doesn’t matter much. It’s Justin Shorter, most every program in America including ours would take him regardless of eligibility. In terms of pure, raw talent, he could walk into Smith tomorrow and be our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.