Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,476      
Spann is interesting. He has height, what looks to be a good arm and runs the RPO well. It looks like he is fast but, not quick. ST. Pete Lakewood lost 1 game this year to Booker T Washington in the playoffs. Pretty good team.

What I find most interesting about him is that his nickname is apparently "Deuce," but he wears #1. Like come on, man! Keep it consistent!!

#1,477      
He does have a weird throwing motion.

When you can track motion to out, you've got some issues. He's a project but you love the talent. Every now and then he does something on tape that makes me go "Whoa". You don't pass up those types of kids, ESPECIALLY at quarterback.

#1,484      

Deleted member 654622

D
#1,486      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Even if he still holds his commitment to A&M which we all expect, it sets us up as the front runner school should he ever decide to transfer

I was being facetious. If he's taking a meeting with Illinois and sharing that meeting on social media, it means something. The odds might be heavily stacked against a switch, but the staff still feels the odds are worthwhile (plus other tangible benefits).

#1,487      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
It's a 2020 name. I can't share this one until I make a few calls but it's big.

This is incredibly refreshing. I think Lovie has done "ok" with recruiting, as he had one heck of a hole to dig out of when he took over after the Beckman/Not Ideal hole. The next step is necessary, where a full class can start flirting with being a top-25 recruiting class.

#1,488      
This is incredibly refreshing. I think Lovie has done "ok" with recruiting, as he had one heck of a hole to dig out of when he took over after the Beckman/Not Ideal hole. The next step is necessary, where a full class can start flirting with being a top-25 recruiting class.

I like this post and want to unpack it.

I think Lovie has done an exceptional job finding undervaluedplayers.

However he has done a mediocre job recruiting non under the radar talent. With few random exceptions, recruiting has been fairly mediocre. Although, it’s clear that he is learning and getting better.

Having said that, Depth is improving. pipelines are getting established. The team is winning football games. And, from what I hear, he is about to take a leap forward. If this class can fill out with a few big names, and 2020 is a solid class, we can look forward to a new resurgence.

#1,489      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I like this post and want to unpack it.

I think Lovie has done an exceptional job finding undervaluedplayers.

However he has done a mediocre job recruiting non under the radar talent. With few random exceptions, recruiting has been fairly mediocre. Although, it’s clear that he is learning and getting better.

Couldn't agree more. If the staff makes the first offer for a recruit, I still have a lot of faith that they found someone of value. Barnes, Witherspoon, Hobbs, etc. are a testament to this.

#1,490      
I'm thinking Alec Bryant or Xavion Alford might be the big guys we are in on. Staff was just in Pearland, Texas. This is just a wild guess though. Alec Bryant is uncommitted and Texas just fired Todd Orlando, so both seem like they may be possible.

There is a legitimate a argument that could be made that Shadow Creek is the most athletic school in the entire state of Texas.

They are good at everything and should make another run to the state title game. If we built a pipeline into shadow creek I’d probably lose my mind.

#1,492      

Deleted member 654622

D
raw

Huge Official Visit Weekend Starts!

#1,497      

FT35

Naperville
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Season/2020-Football/Visits/

8 of our current commits plus
DeVere Levelston
Jerzhan Newton
JaQuari Wiggles

Be nice if we had some other under the radar dudes in, like a Doyle or Johnson. Any one know about that subject?

That's amazing that we were able to get 8 of our 9 commits here on the same weekend. I know CJ visited during the weekend of the Michigan game. It would have been nice if all of these guys were coming next weekend since that's the weekend before the early signing period starts but that's still pretty impressive.

I see Levelston is visiting Minnesota next weekend along with Wesley Bailey.

I also noticed that Courtland Ford is visiting Minnesota next weekend. Courtland's dad is from Peoria. He played at basketball at Peoria Manual around the time that Jerry Hester was there and was at WIU when Underwood was coaching there. Ford was an LSU commit but it appears that they dropped him after he got injured. He visited us last April but interest appeared to wane after he committed to LSU.

https://247sports.com/player/courtland-ford-87847/

Lutheran North is playing in the state championship game this afternoon so I'm sure that Doyle will not be visiting today. Getting him on campus for another unofficial would be great next weekend.

It looks like Finau is visiting elsewhere this weekend as well as next weekend. It doesn't look like Shipton is visiting anywhere right now. I'm hoping this means we are going to go after some graduate transfer DTs since the depth for next year doesn't look great. None of the HS kids should be on the two-deep next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.